U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 10:19 AM

23,379 posts, read 10,663,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Where will the electricity for EV's come from? What will it do to the cost of electricity? Many other questions, but these are the most obvious. Sincerely wondering.
It's all good, and no worries. I've been told from the EV cheerleaders here, that they use less energy and are more efficient, so there will be no need for more kWh's.

In reality, the theory is, a slow transition to mass EV adoption will parallel path alongside increasing our electrical infrastructure.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 10:22 AM

10,664 posts, read 7,315,433 times
Quote:
Where will the electricity for EV's come from? What will it do to the cost of electricity? Many other questions, but these are the most obvious. Sincerely wondering.
EV's are not for everyone, but since you are sincerely wondering, there is an economy of scale when producing energy in a large power plant. It is why an EV is so much cheaper to operate for many.

The flip-side of that is that an ICE ('gas') produces it's power ON the vehicle. Not nearly as efficient, but if you have a 1000 mile trip through sparsely populated areas, the ICE is going to be your best bet.

For the right use-case, it will always be cheaper to power an EV. Like I said, not every use is ideal for them.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:26 AM

69,278 posts, read 52,138,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
Well I don't have an answer for you as to how to take the politics out of it. Some people have it in their minds that "green energy" is bad because liberals like it.

I begrudgingly agree that it's going to take compromise to get America on renewable energy. That's why the Inflation Reduction Act gave a ton of goodies to the fossil fuel industry. We can't snap our fingers and be green, we will need fossil fuels for a couple decades.

My hope is that, with the new subsidies, conservatives might look at the cost of solar panels, and the ROI, and make a non-political, purely economical decision. Adding solar panels will save most people money. If you have the ability to pay in cash, you recoup in about 7 years usually (maybe less with costs coming down). If you put zero money down on one of those 30 year loans they're offering, you end up paying a ton of interest, but you should be saving around $30-50 per month because the solar loan payment will be less than your electric bill would have been.
One of the challenges with solar that needs to be considered (state dependent) is how you are being credited for excess power.

You can't keep crediting at retail rates or you're shoving all the basic infrastructure cost on everyone else and as solar expands it's not sustainable economically.

I'm all about reasonable energy policy, I'm neither right nor left on the topic.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:29 AM

10,664 posts, read 7,315,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
No, this question can be answered simply. It's just that the other posters here aren't interested in constructive conversation; they'd rather make cynical comments.

The electricity from an EV comes from your power company, and that power, today, is usually 1) natural gas, 2) nuclear, or 3) coal. A small, but rapidly growing percentage of that energy will come from solar and wind power. Some days in California (days, not nights) solar energy accounts for over 50% of energy consumed. In Texas, solar energy panels installed in the last year were credited for ensuring the power stayed on during the harsh heat waves this summer.

So yes, if you bought an EV today, odds are the electricity you put into the car was created at the source using fossil fuels. But keep in mind, that a natural gas power plant is WAAAAAAAAY more efficient at burning gas than a Ford Explorer. Even if you're getting your energy from a natural gas power plant, and using that to charge your EV, you're reducing your carbon footprint significantly. More EVs means the power grid will be more taxed, but there are solutions to this. Solar panels are a great deal these days. If more people get solar panels, more power enters the system (and those people with solar panels will save hundreds in energy costs per year). We should also consider reviving nuclear in this country. The technology is reliable, the energy is green, and it is safer than ever.
...and it's still FAR more efficient to produce energy at a mega-plant and distribute it, than to produce it ON the vehicle.

I don't own and EV, but I do own an Electric Mower for my small lot. It's a good metaphor. Since my lot is small, I have enough "juice" to do the whole thing in one charge. It's far cheaper than gas, cleaner, less maintenance, and cheaper to run. On the other hand, if I had acres and acres to mow, it would not be the right choice, I'd be spending more time charging than mowing. Just get the right tool for the job. For the job of Driving, some will benefit from EV, others from ICE. It's good to have options, and the freedom to exercise them.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:31 AM

970 posts, read 434,104 times
Quote:
This is todays reality. Its unfeasible.

How do you heat? Ac? Cloudy days?
We use natural gas baseboard heating, but we have mini-split heat pumps that do AC and heating. It's way cheaper to heat the house with natural gas compared to heat pumps that run on electricity. On cloudy days we don't generate as much electricity. Same goes for winter. But sunny, summer days we make way too much energy. That's the benefit of net metering. We've been blasting AC during the day (like full blast 68 degrees), then we turn the AC off during the night. It kinda works.

To be honest, having solar panels makes you use more electricity. I blast my AC. I leave my lights on. Energy is cheaper for me. I don't have to worry about rising energy prices because my solar panels almost always generate more electricity than I need in the summer, and in the winter I use natural gas heating and pay very little for electricity.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
One of the challenges with solar that needs to be considered (state dependent) is how you are being credited for excess power.

You can't keep crediting at retail rates or you're shoving all the basic infrastructure cost on everyone else and as solar expands it's not sustainable economically.

I'm all about reasonable energy policy, I'm neither right nor left on the topic.
In my state (NJ), you get credit at retail rates until you generate more power than you consume, at which point you're paid at the wholesale rate. I think that's a sensible approach.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:37 AM

14,229 posts, read 8,872,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Dems have been on a dam removing rampage .... Because you know fish might not be able to swim upstream. . Can't win with them. They operate on emotions so they assume everything will simply work out in the end, without fully thinking things through.
Which we have engineering solutions for that with fish ladders and the like. Just cost more money.

How’d we go from having the will to build an interstate system, bridges, dams, electrical grid, etc to being so divided we can’t come up with an agreement or funding to even maintain or repair those things properly much less replace/upgrade.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
...and it's still FAR more efficient to produce energy at a mega-plant and distribute it, than to produce it ON the vehicle.

I don't own and EV, but I do own an Electric Mower for my small lot. It's a good metaphor. Since my lot is small, I have enough "juice" to do the whole thing in one charge. It's far cheaper than gas, cleaner, less maintenance, and cheaper to run. On the other hand, if I had acres and acres to mow, it would not be the right choice, I'd be spending more time charging than mowing. Just get the right tool for the job. For the job of Driving, some will benefit from EV, others from ICE. It's good to have options, and the freedom to exercise them.
Of course. My wife and I don't have an EV either, but my next car will be an EV. Since my wife works from home, our plan is to have 1 EV for me as a commuter car, and 1 family hauler ICE car for road trips.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:52 AM

18,560 posts, read 7,065,453 times
Quote:
Your roof.

And yes, you can easily generate enough electricity from solar panels on your roof to charge your EV.

And with everybody having solar panels on their roofs, the cost of electricity for those who don't have roofs will plummet.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:55 AM

18,560 posts, read 7,065,453 times
Solar Panels and Electric Cars: Can I Use Solar as an EV charger?
Quote:
Can you use solar panels to charge electric cars?

The simple answer is yes, a solar installation will charge your electric car just as it will supply energy for the rest of your home appliances. Even a small solar panel array with only 10 solar panels can provide enough power to charge your vehicle’s battery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies