Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 12:40 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Heat kills the efficiency too.
"kills" is a relative term. At 60C, about a 12% reduction from rated power at 25C.

https://solarpoweredblog.com/how-doe...-solar-panels/

Old 08-11-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Solar panels work well even in the PNW where it's overcast 7-9 months of the year.
How well? In the winter months in the PNW, you're only looking at about 8 hours of daylight (December) plus of course, the output is dramatically reduced when the incidence angle is low. And zero or close to it when snow covered.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:45 PM

962 posts, read 540,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
How well? In the winter months in the PNW, you're only looking at about 8 hours of daylight (December) plus of course, the output is dramatically reduced when the incidence angle is low. And zero or close to it when snow covered.
I love how people are just citing examples of when solar panels don't work with 100% efficiency as if this math isn't already taken into account when estimating energy production.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Good questions!

Another one — these EV batteries only last ten years — they are full of toxic material — where and how will we dump MILLIONS of them ?
Tesla has been recycling theirs for some time. They shred/grind the entire pack and treat it as "high quality ore" and separate and reuse the elements involved. As more and more of the fleet is electrified, there will be much less need for extraction of new, raw materials for batteries. Much like our steel and aluminum industry where a significant amount of production is from recycled materials.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:47 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Where will the electricity come from to power everyones EV?

With the present plans for shutting down nuke plans, not building more hydro dams, etc.?

It won't.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
I love how people are just citing examples of when solar panels don't work with 100% efficiency as if this math isn't already taken into account when estimating energy production.
Then what is the energy production in those conditions? I love how people cite examples under "ideal" conditions and ignore the real world application.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:58 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Let’s be real here. Of all the things in this world that “can be recycled”, how much of it actually is recycled?
Electric vehicle batteries will be much the same.
I have nothing against them on a basic usability level, but I’m not going to pretend electric vehicles will stop whatever catastrophe they say we’re headed for dead in it’s tracks.
Probably will be a wash to be honest, especially when you consider the new challenges they will bring.

Less reliance on artificial energy of all kinds is the way to go, but society is addicted to its stuff.

Old 08-11-2022, 01:18 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Where will the electricity come from to power everyones EV?

With the present plans for shutting down nuke plans, not building more hydro dams, etc.?

It won't.
The CA plan for appears to be:

a) Blame climate change, which they're apparently unaware of as it should be factored into their energy plans. I'm always annoyed by CA blaming "climate change" for things that you could prepare for if you were aware of climate change for decades. It's not an excuse, it's an admission of terrible planning.

and

b) Buy more peak power from other states at hugely expensive rates and drive up their residents energy costs to triple the national average instead of just double.

P.S. In fairness, some of the saner people in CA are trying to delay shutting down the nuke plants but that's not progress apparently.

Old 08-11-2022, 01:38 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
So we're gonna need a ****load of solar panels, installers and someone to clean them off now n then.
Oh no, "jobs".

Old 08-11-2022, 01:41 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Cost around $15,000 and up. To me they are the biggest eyesore to ruin the curb appeal of the house. Oh, you can have a great paint color, beautiful landscaping , flowering bushes and trees and those panels make the entire house look hideous.

In Florida I am seeing the ugliest installations of solar panels... every install looks ridiculous. Three panels on side, 5 on the front and not lined up.. Plus in Florida they are not efficient as it is too hot to actually collect the electric.. crazy...and it is sunny and hot in Florida most of the time. In the 90's in the summer is usual.
Here in NC, they just put them on the roof, which is almost the same color as the panels. You have to look just to notice them.

In all seriousness, I bet they do stand out against the terracotta roofs in Florida. I never thought about that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies