U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 10:26 AM

1,087 posts, read 193,984 times

Advertisements

I think you're right about #8. Division is weakening us all.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-11-2022, 10:30 AM

24,539 posts, read 25,109,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
How do we start to heal as a country? Distrust in our fellow Americans within the opposing party is on the rise and faith in all major US institutions is falling.

How do we turn this around?
Was it possible to heal the country before the Civil War happened?

What makes you think this time is any different?

Old 08-11-2022, 10:38 AM

7,587 posts, read 5,623,786 times
As long as we allow people to hold office for decades there will be a desperation on their part to keep their positions. They have the power to spend the money. They've made deals and promises. They don't want outsiders coming in and taking away their kingdoms.

We're seeing what they will do and say to keep their power at any cost.

I think all we can do is form good relationships locally and work together for our own communities.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:40 AM

20,935 posts, read 15,056,958 times
Quote:
How do we start to heal?
Other than a "divorce," we don't.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:44 AM

14,638 posts, read 6,807,634 times
Quote:
How do we start to heal as a country? Distrust in our fellow Americans within the opposing party is on the rise and faith in all major US institutions is falling.

How do we turn this around?

1. No dehumanizing opponents. No calling Republicans "MAGAts," no calling Democrats "libt--ds." In WWII all of the countries Axis and Allies dehumanized their opponents to make it easier to hate and easier to kill the enemy. We must always recognize the humanity of humans. Speak out against this, especially when your side does this.

2. Turn off media that makes you angry or seeks to rile people up.

3. Get out of the echo chamber. If you read/watch/post about the news, look at multiple sources not just the sources that make you happy/secure in your beliefs. Most Americans can't accurately describe the motives and positions of the opposing party....including most that think they can. This is what scientific studies say.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-other/592324/

4. Most people in the opposing party are good people if you get to know them. The problem is we don't want to too often.

5. Seek out political compromises knowing that each party won't get 100% of what it wants.

6. Don't be afraid to vote in moderates.

7. Look inward to avoid hypocrisy. If you are outraged when the other side does something, don't excuse it when your side does it too.

8. Don't divide people up into groups or make superficial judgments about groups.

9. Love and serve your neighbor as you would have happen to yourself.

What do you all think? Where am I right, where am I wrong? What would you add?
Funny how you would post this the same week the Democrats do an unprecedented raid in our nations history, by targeting the former presidents home.
They have been attacking and targeting Trump since before he took the oath of office, and have now crossed the Rubicon.

They have thrown gas on a simmer pile of tinder, and I suspect it is on purpose.
The Soros types are not supporting DA's & AG's who intentionally ignore the law, and defund the police movements for kicks and giggles.
Instead, they are trying to ignite a race war and/or civil war by creating grievance merchants with racial chips on their shoulders.
Now every time a black criminal is injured or shot by police, no matter how justified the action might be, you have agitators igniting racial hate, with riots (excuse me, "mostly peaceful protests") erupting.

I have no clue exactly how Biden & Co envision what 87 thousand new IRS agents (being armed as well) will bring to America, but considering what Obama & Biden did by weaponizing them against moderates/conservatives, I fear the worse.

Most sane Americans wish for us to return to more civility and bipartisan times, but there is only so many times you can smack people in the face, to where they stop turning their cheek, and strike back.
I fear we are closer to that than at any time since I have been alive.

BTW - Linking an article from a far left source is not in keeping with a wish that we just all get along.

Last edited by Vector1; 08-11-2022 at 10:54 AM..

Old 08-11-2022, 10:45 AM

11,714 posts, read 4,246,801 times
I don't think healing is possible, but if I was going to suggest ways to begin:
  • The government is your enemy. At every level, in everything they touch, they exist to harm you. Accept it, deal with it, work with it.
  • You own you. Nobody has a higher claim on your life, liberty and/or property than you, nor do you hold higher claim on anyone else. This means that whatever direction your life is going, that's on you. Accept it, deal with it, work with it.
  • Your fellow individual is not a resource for your consumption. Stop believing the government when they make that claim.
  • Your will always succeed/prosper/profit in spite of government, never because of them, so stop investing time, effort, belief, votes, etc into them. They will never be anything more than an impediment to your existence.
  • Stop seeing people who disagree with you as an enemy, simply leave them to be them, you be you.
  • Realize that without government force, 95-99% of your daily existence is cooperative, voluntary and mutually beneficial with those around you. That makes your fellow individual a potential teammate, not opponent.
  • Realize that the media wins when they have you scared, hysterical, panicked, etc. Stop handing them the wins.
  • Your level of worry/concern should decrease as distance from you increases, not the other way around. By that I mean your #1 concern every day is you. Once you have you handled, then worry about your immediate family/household/etc. Once that is handled, your friends/colleagues/associates. After that, maybe your neighborhood. And so on. Stick to that pattern, and you'll quickly find that after just yourself and your family, you won't have the time or energy left for distant, dumbass crap like politicians and media talking heads. Your life will improve measurably as a result, as will your outlook on your fellow individual.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:46 AM

25,646 posts, read 25,536,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Was it possible to heal the country before the Civil War happened?

What makes you think this time is any different?
The Civil War was fought because people actually owned other people. They bought and sold other people!

These days we can compromise on things.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:53 AM

11,714 posts, read 4,246,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The Civil War was fought because people actually owned other people. They bought and sold other people!

These days we can compromise on things.
Like every war ever fought in all of history - the Civil War was fought for control of land, resources and money.

Ending slavery was the marketing slogan.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:54 AM

12,571 posts, read 3,642,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Like every war ever fought in all of history - the Civil War was fought for control of land, resources and money.

Ending slavery was the marketing slogan.
When is the last time the Democrat Party compromised on any issue?

On edit. Meant to quote the post above yours. On my cell phone.

Old 08-11-2022, 11:15 AM

4,692 posts, read 1,676,253 times
the best way to heal our country:

1. turn off editorial media on both sides
2. abandon social media
3. vote out every incumbent in house and senate

you will see real change on both sides once we get the dark money PAC machines and media out of the picture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.