Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 12:03 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,367,244 times

Advertisements

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/r...-marvel-series

To emphasize, the above article said "reportedly", and I could not find a mainstream news site confirming this, but there are many leftist websites saying that this is true.

IF it is true, Disney is really pushing things, aren't they? And if it is true, I wonder what their motivation is -- just showing how "woke" they truly are, even to the point of losing potential customers? Somehow I think there must be something more to it. I am so glad Walt is not alive to see what has happened to the Disney corporation.

But, yeah, I know -- just more stupid conservative thinking on my part, right?

Last edited by katharsis; 08-11-2022 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 12:07 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,308,300 times
Pearl clutchers worried about a drag queen in a movie. People in movies kill, lie, steal, start fires, cause explosions, rape, deal drugs, cheat on their spouses, assault others and pearl clutchers are worried about the mere presence of a drag queen.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:10 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/r...-marvel-series

To emphasize, the above article said "reportedly", and I could not find a mainstream news site confirming this, but there are many leftist websites saying that this is true.

IF it is true, Disney is really pushing things, aren't they? And if it is true, I wonder what their motivation is -- just showing how "woke" they truly are, even to the point of losing potential customers? Somehow I think there must be something more to it. I am so glad Walt is not alive to see what has happened to the Disney corporation.

But, yeah, I know -- just more stupid conservative thinking on my part right?
Woke doesn't have the negative connotation to many of us that you may think it has.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:11 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
AKA, how to ensure your company goes bankrupt or becomes a small-time fetish business.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Pearl clutchers worried about a drag queen in a movie. People in movies kill, lie, steal, start fires, cause explosions, rape, do drugs, assault others and pearl clutchers are worried about the mere presence of a drag queen.
Yes, but I don't know of any movies that feature graphic violence, rape and gore that are geared to CHILDREN. However, in today's world, I certainly admit that I might be wrong about that!

Now, having said that, if the series has even a PG-13 rating, I would not be as "aghast" as it if had a G or PG rating, even though plenty of people allow their very young kids to see PG-13 movies without a second's hesitation. And although I don't agree with second-graders seeing the great majority of PG-13 movies, I do agree that it is a parent's right to make decisions for their children so long as no actual harm is done.

(And, yes, it can certainly be debated that repeated exposure to LGBT characters does NOT do any actual harm, although I would not bet my savings on that, as far as creating sexual confusion in a child regarding his or her sexual identity. But I am not convinced to the point that I will argue about it.)

Last edited by katharsis; 08-11-2022 at 12:33 PM..

Old 08-11-2022, 12:16 PM

6,667 posts, read 2,975,051 times
Disney movies are usually 'family' friendly. Like no excessive gore and violence or even language.

That kind of stuff is present in a ton of other studio films, pg-13 and up.

Too Wong foo, Birdcage all had drag to hilarious effect. But those were 'adult' films Definitely not a rated G.

Trying to normalize this lifestyle in a G rated kid film is sus, imho.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Woke doesn't have the negative connotation to many of us that you may think it has.
Well, THAT is certainly obvious!

It is painfully clear that to many people, "woke" has a VERY positive connotation!

Old 08-11-2022, 12:21 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
There are no G rated movies anymore.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:24 PM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
I'm about ready for a Drag "King"....

I'm tired of all the sexism in the Drag world.

Besides, it would be another thing for conservatives to wring their hands about.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:28 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I'm tired of all the sexism in the Drag world.
So am I. Broadface (AKA "drag") needs to go the same place its close cousin, blackface, went: to the ****can marked socially unacceptable behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies