Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 06:22 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
Just don’t make the vaccine mandatory or try and coerce people like you did with COVID.
You weren't required to get a polio vaccine before you entered school?

Old 08-11-2022, 06:34 PM

43,100 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Back then there weren't vaccines for everything under the sun. I think it was early 70’s when it started

Old 08-11-2022, 06:34 PM

3,113 posts, read 938,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
No. Vast majority of states allow both philosophical and religious exemptions.

Old 08-11-2022, 06:36 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Does this outbreak have anything to do with the bus loads of "migrants" being sent to the Sanctuary city of NY?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No, the discovery of a polio outbreak in NYC is weeks old. It's a water supply problem.
It is not a water supply problem. The virus that caused the case in NY is vaccine derived, from the oral polio virus used in other countries, not the US. Since the case person was not vaccinated, that means he was exposed to someone who was vaccinated with the oral vaccine. That would by necessity be someone from abroad, since the oral vaccine is not used in the US. An alternative would be exposure to someone else who was exposed to the vaccinated person, infected with the vaccine virus, but asymptomatic. The virus is excreted in stool and appears in sewage. Sewage treatment would be expected to kill the virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It didn't just appear in the US by magic Someone had to bring it into the US from another country
Yes. The oral vaccine virus spreads from person to person.

Old 08-11-2022, 06:36 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
No. Vast majority of states allow both philosophical and religious exemptions.
Right. You were protected because nearly everyone around you was vaccinated. When the first polio vaccine came out, it was given to adults and children.

Old 08-11-2022, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Right. You were protected because nearly everyone around you was vaccinated. When the first polio vaccine came out, it was given to adults and children.
I really don’t care if anyone gets a polio vaccine or not. I’m not asking for or grateful for any protection. I’m not the one scared of polio. If I was I’d get vaccinated.

Old 08-11-2022, 06:42 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Boy that didn't take long, the infection is mostly in the orthodox community in Rockland and Orange Counties. If that was true Texas would be in big trouble.

This will be tough to stop the spread with all the anti-vaxers
You mean people that educate themselves before submitting to experimental drugs or drugs with side effects that no one talks about? And, what will they "add" to a polio vaccine? You can't even get a tetanus shot with out something extra, so I don't get that anymore. The last two times I got the oral polio poison, I was so ill, I thought I was going to die. So ill, that I could not get to the phone. Yeah, hook me up! NOT!

Quote:
Count me out!

Don’t care what you guys worry about today, tomorrow. Just don’t make the vaccine mandatory or try and coerce people like you did with COVID.
I'm with you on this!

Quote:
Except that polio can't be passed off as "just the flu."
Well, they wouldn't even let COVID be passed off as the flu, when most likely it often was. You see, our government cried wolf............... It is most common in children under 5 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Vaccines are the reason you were able to grow up without contracting measles, smallpox, polio, rubella, hepatitis, tetanus, mumps, diphtheria--all diseases that have been eradicated through vaccines.

Google polio. I guarantee you don't want to get it.
I had measles, mumps, rubella as did all the other kids in school. Almost 6 decades later, I am still here and in one healthy piece! Gosh, and that was the tip of the iceberg with all the flu that went around when I was in school. I actually believe that having those illnesses built my immune system to the point where it is today. No flu shots, so I am not "vaccine" dependent.

Quote:
FYI 1:500 get this. 75% are asymptomatic.
https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-s.../poliomyelitis

"The virus is transmitted by person-to-person spread mainly through the faecal-oral route or, less frequently, by a common vehicle (for example, contaminated water or food) and multiplies in the intestine."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ding-quicktake

"Immunity provided either by the oral vaccine or exposure to poliovirus provides lifelong protection against paralytic disease, according to a World Health Organization position paper released in June. It’s not known how long people who received four doses of inactivated polio vaccine will be immune, but the CDC says they’re most likely protected for many years and the WHO says possibly for life."

This article talks about 3 different types of polio, and I thought there was just one:

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/health-...omyelitis.html

*******Polio can cause paralysis. But most people who are infected with polio have no symptoms, and a few have mild symptoms.****************

There is a reason to think about one's health before a virus circulates!

Old 08-11-2022, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
*******Polio can cause paralysis. But most people who are infected with polio have no symptoms, and a few have mild symptoms.****************

There is a reason to think about one's health before a virus circulates!
Couple finer points on poliomyelitis.

First, you can get it from the vaccine, risk goes up if given intramuscularly.

Polio is generally mild, but your risk of poliomyelitis goes way up if you suffer a skeletal injury during infection. This probably explains the low rates (1:500). And probably you need to have a certain genetic profile to be at risk.

Old 08-11-2022, 07:17 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Back then there weren't vaccines for everything under the sun. I think it was early 70’s when it started
No, the polio vaccine was mandatory back in the 50s. I got that and the smallpox vaccine in 1959.

There weren't vaccines available when I got measles in 1960 or mumps in 1965 or chickenpox later that same month.

I've had several tetanus vaccinations over the years, and got a whopping one-shot cocktail in basic training:

Adenovirus
Hepatitis A
Hepatitis B
Measles, mumps, rubella
Meningococcal
Poliovirus again
Tetanus-Diphtheria
Varicella

Over the course of my military career I also got:

Anthrax
Haemophilus influenzae type B
Japanese encephalitis
Pneumococcal
Smallpox again
Typhoid fever
Yellow fever
Swine Flu
Influenza every year

For some damned reason, they didn't give us the tuberculosis vaccine going to the Philippines, even though there was always a high risk of tuberculosis for military there. I and my whole family came back from the Philippines testing positive on TB skin tests.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 08-11-2022 at 07:27 PM..

Old 08-11-2022, 07:25 PM

Quote:
No, the polio vaccine was mandatory back in the 50s. I got it in 1959.
It’s every virologists dream to be another Salk who experimented on 2 million American kids back in the 1950s.

But that was an era of incredible optimism in science - we were working to put a man on the moon. Look at all the science fiction back then, they had us far more advanced in 2000 than we become.

Now in this era we had countless vaccine drives for influenza, now COVID - all failures in my book. We created vaccines for none problems like chickenpox and HPV and shingles. And we never could develop that HIV vaccine, no matter how much money Fauci stole from the American taxpayer claiming he would.

The age of the vaccines is over. The age of the anti-vaxxer is now here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies