Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2022, 05:56 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times

Advertisements

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...costs-holidays

This sounds pretty Grinch-y to me, but hey, why shouldn't the USPS get its share of the inflation pie, too, right? (sarcasm)

From the link, my italics:
The planned price hikes would range from $0.75 to $6.50, varying by weight and distance shipped, according to a news release. The changes would be temporary, being instituted from Oct. 2 to Jan. 22.

"This seasonal adjustment will bring prices for the Postal Service’s commercial and retail customers in line with competitive practices," the statement read. "No structural changes are planned as part of this limited pricing initiative."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 06:10 PM

25,958 posts, read 22,107,325 times
I am guessing Amazon has an account, probably a contract with USPS, so that makes me wonder if it will hit Amazon or not, thus ourselves. Seems to me that the USPS already is high enough, and I can't help but wonder if it would be "temporary" or not.

I also wonder if this will catch on with the other providers of similar services.

Old 08-11-2022, 06:16 PM

12,967 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Well, I guess the USPS has to buy diesel fuel like any other shipper. And it's not come down like gasoline has. It's still about $5.50/gallon here, while regular gas ranges from $3.35 (Costco) to $3.79 (major top tier brands).

Old 09-05-2022, 08:20 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I am guessing Amazon has an account, probably a contract with USPS, so that makes me wonder if it will hit Amazon or not, thus ourselves. Seems to me that the USPS already is high enough, and I can't help but wonder if it would be "temporary" or not.

I also wonder if this will catch on with the other providers of similar services.
UPS and FedEx have had similar holiday season surcharges since at least 2017. Even though the postal service stops paying penalty overtime rates for hours worked passed 10 hours a day in December they had been splurging money in operating cost for those years prior to the pandemic. This is just a move to get the approval for the post office to do what other services have long done.

Last edited by Taiko; 09-05-2022 at 08:47 PM..

Old 09-05-2022, 08:28 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,320,150 times
That's not inflation.

Old 09-05-2022, 08:34 PM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Online retail is going to be as dead as brick and mortar. Between the taxes, fees, rapidly rising shipping rates, packing supplies, and fierce competition contributing to razor thin margins, you have to be moving an extraordinary amount of merchandise in order to make it worth the effort. The margins aren't always that great, and little bumps in operating costs can wipe out profits and lead to a loss.

Who wants to go through the effort to sell online, just to give all their money to the postal service, the government and Amazon, Ebay and the rest, with not much left over to reward yourself? And I think customers have probably been taking their frustrations out on sellers. Many people get very upset when prices spike and they immediately blame the people just trying to make an honest living in many cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies