Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 05:31 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times

Advertisements

Forget about the number of agents they're hiring for a minute....

Why does the IRS need armed agents "willing to use deadly force" and 5 million rounds of ammo?

And for those of you who argued for years that taxation is not enforced at gunpoint......

What say you now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2022, 05:33 AM

6,976 posts, read 2,701,111 times
The government wants to abolish the 2nd amendment and disarm the people but at the same time wants their accountants to be packing heat.

Old 08-12-2022, 05:41 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Oh, man -- you didn't provide a link, so I researched it and I did NOT like what I found. (I admit that I thought you might be over-reaching and possibly exaggerating, but NO, you weren't.) This is the link I found, and an excerpt follows (my italics): https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertw...h=a6b84ba5d201 (And btw, you will note that the article is from Forbes, which is not exactly a radical right wing site.)

QUOTE, my italics and bold:

The Schumer-Manchin tax bill known as the Inflation Reduction Act, which passed the Senate on Sunday, raises taxes and will give the IRS billions to go into what the Wall Street Journal called “beast mode.”

In all, the meant-to-be-inflation buster bill will dole out about $80 billion to the IRS for increase enforcement, operational improvements, customer service, and systems modernization. Think big, really big. That $80 billion is more than six times the current annual IRS budget of $12.6 billion.

How can the IRS spend all of that? You guessed it, the bill says a whopping $45.6 billion will be for enforcement
[end quote]

Btw, the article did not go into what the current budget is for guns and ammo, but it did say. "An official report published by the Government Accountability Office said that at the end of 2017, the IRS had 4,487 guns and 5,062,006 rounds of ammunition in its weapons inventory." Again, note that this was the amount as of the end of 2017, almost five years ago.

Old 08-12-2022, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post

Why does the IRS need armed agents "willing to use deadly force" and 5 million rounds of ammo?

And for those of you who argued for years that taxation is not enforced at gunpoint......

What say you now?
Oh, and btw, this might be a bit premature, but the article I quoted above also gives the following advice, QUOTE:

"If you are approached and questioned by a Special Agent, ask for his or her business card. Firmly but politely state that you do not want to answer any questions and that you will have your attorney contact the Special Agent. You can fully cooperate through your attorney. This may sound paranoid, but given the fluid nature of who is a witness and who is a target, even statements you think sound innocent may not be. Suppose you are asked whether you do business with Joe or know Sally. If you answer falsely, you may face felony charges. See 18 U.S.C. Sec. 1001. Plus, making a false statement can be considered evidence of an attempt to conceal other criminal conduct."
[end quote]

So it seems that IRS agents might now be put into the exact same category as any other law enforcement agents? Will they start giving people their Miranda rights before they interrogate them?

Anyway, this is just one MORE reason that I am glad that I am now retired and my returns are very simple and straightforward -- but, then, they almost always have been.

Old 08-12-2022, 06:01 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Oh, man -- you didn't provide a link, so I researched it and I did NOT like what I found. (I admit that I thought you might be over-reaching and possibly exaggerating, but NO, you weren't.) This is the link I found, and an excerpt follows (my italics): https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertw...h=a6b84ba5d201 (And btw, you will note that the article is from Forbes, which is not exactly a radical right wing site.)

QUOTE, my italics and bold:

The Schumer-Manchin tax bill known as the Inflation Reduction Act, which passed the Senate on Sunday, raises taxes and will give the IRS billions to go into what the Wall Street Journal called “beast mode.”

In all, the meant-to-be-inflation buster bill will dole out about $80 billion to the IRS for increase enforcement, operational improvements, customer service, and systems modernization. Think big, really big. That $80 billion is more than six times the current annual IRS budget of $12.6 billion.

How can the IRS spend all of that? You guessed it, the bill says a whopping $45.6 billion will be for enforcement
[end quote]

Btw, the article did not go into what the current budget is for guns and ammo, but it did say. "An official report published by the Government Accountability Office said that at the end of 2017, the IRS had 4,487 guns and 5,062,006 rounds of ammunition in its weapons inventory." Again, note that this was the amount as of the end of 2017, almost five years ago.

It's been all over the news for the past week or so.... didn't think a link was necessary.

Old 08-12-2022, 06:04 AM

Quote:
It's been all over the news for the past week or so.... didn't think a link was necessary.
Sorry -- I have been not following MOST news and I look at only the top 20 or so threads, so it probably was further down the list and I missed it. (Of course I knew about the "Inflation bill" and the increased number of IRS agents, but just not the armed agents "willing to use deadly force" part.)

Old 08-12-2022, 06:04 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:

What say you now?
I say if you are a drug lord, human trafficker, money launder of criminally derived funds,etc. your taxation may be enforced at gunpoint.

If you are Joe Blow living a normal life in Anytown USA you dont need to be concerned about armed IRS agents unless you are prepared to threaten or engage in violence against an IRS employee.

Leave them alone, prepare your tax return correctly, pay your taxes on time, and they will leave you alone.

If you screw up the correctly/on time thingy, contact them and cooperate with them. They will likely work out a payment plan for you before they come out to shoot you.

Old 08-12-2022, 06:05 AM

45,223 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I say if you are a drug lord, human trafficker, money launder of criminally derived funds,etc. your taxation may be enforced at gunpoint.

If you are Joe Blow living a normal life in Anytown USA you dont need to be concerned about armed IRS agents unless you are prepared to threaten or engage in violence against an IRS employee.

Leave them alone, prepare your tax return correctly, pay your taxes on time, and they will leave you alone.

If you screw up the correctly/on time thingy, contact them and cooperate with them. They will likely work out a payment plan for you before they come out to shoot you.
Why do you speak as if if you know?

Old 08-12-2022, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post

That is a very reasonable explanation and the most likely, imo.

I just think that many people, including myself, are just now very suspicious (possibly to the point of paranoia) because of all the heavy-handed measures (in the opinion of many people, including myself) the government took to encourage vaccinations.

Anyway, good post and good advice.

Old 08-12-2022, 06:11 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Sorry -- I have been not following MOST news and I look at only the top 20 or so threads, so it probably was further down the list and I missed it. (Of course I knew about the "Inflation bill" and the increased number of IRS agents, but just not the armed agents "willing to use deadly force" part.)
There are currently around 2500 armed IRS Special Agents. They are Federal Law Enforcement Officers, not tax auditors for the average American.

They are the "follow the money" agents for criminals and terrorists.

They also do a lot of mundane jobs like process IRS employee background checks which requires the savvy to interface with other fed/local LEO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies