Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think speakers like Rushdie should
Keep speaking their mind 68 98.55%
Stop speaking since they are attacking a defined religion 0 0%
The attacker should be released because of bail reform? 1 1.45%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 10:08 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Salman Rushdie, author of controversial book 'The Satanic Verses,' attacked on stage in NY

They still want him dead. Excerpt:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journal News
CHAUTAUQUA, N.Y. — Salman Rushdie, the author whose writing led to death threats from Iran in the 1980s, was attacked Friday as he was about to give a lecture in western New York.
An Associated Press reporter witnessed a man storm the stage at the Chautauqua Institution and begin punching or stabbing Rushdie as he was being introduced. The author was taken or fell to the floor, and the man was restrained.
(snip)
Rushdie is the author of 12 novels, six of which are USA TODAY best sellers, most notably "The Satanic Verses," which has been banned in Iran since 1988, as many Muslims consider it to be blasphemous. A year later, Iran's late leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini issued a fatwa, or edict, calling for Rushdie's death.
Alternate article in case linked article paywalled (link).

Old 08-12-2022, 10:19 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Well considering that the stage he was a attacked on is in America he has every Right to say what he pleases just as we have every Right NOT to listen.

I guess the attack can be seen as a celebration of Diversity?

We have the Right not to Listen and the attacker has a Right to be offended. I scanned the article and it did not mention his attackers name and I'm going out on a limb here.. which probably means he is a Muslim and in his country he has the Right to attack what offends Allah. There is also a $3 Million dollar bounty on Rushdies head so that could have spurred the attack. Who knows when we only get half the story?

I think people should be allowed to speak their minds and write books but doing so might be dangerous for them.

Old 08-12-2022, 10:32 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
He has a right to speak. Others have a right to be offended. They don’t, however, have a right to cause harm to him over what he says.

Old 08-12-2022, 11:29 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,900,634 times
Apparently immediately after the stabbing someone tweeted JK Rowling with "You're Next"

https://pjmedia.com/vodkapundit/2022...peech-n1620514

Very clever with Option C by the way...

Old 08-12-2022, 11:30 AM

962 posts, read 541,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Well considering that the stage he was a attacked on is in America he has every Right to say what he pleases just as we have every Right NOT to listen.

I guess the attack can be seen as a celebration of Diversity?

We have the Right not to Listen and the attacker has a Right to be offended. I scanned the article and it did not mention his attackers name and I'm going out on a limb here.. which probably means he is a Muslim and in his country he has the Right to attack what offends Allah. There is also a $3 Million dollar bounty on Rushdies head so that could have spurred the attack. Who knows when we only get half the story?

I think people should be allowed to speak their minds and write books but doing so might be dangerous for them.
It is obviously related to the fatwah.

Old 08-12-2022, 11:35 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Of course people should continue exercising their freedom of speech. It saddens me that some demented person chose to assault him, but we cannot be cowed to silence. IF we are, we are no longer free.

Old 08-12-2022, 11:39 AM

10,481 posts, read 6,999,249 times
Just more affirmation of that we need to control and deport people we are letting into this country.

Old 08-12-2022, 11:39 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
He has a right to speak. Others have a right to be offended. They don’t, however, have a right to cause harm to him over what he says.
This, plus the fact that some unhinged people might still hurt you even if it’s wrong, so that’s a risk to be aware of. So, free speech, yes. Others can disagree, yes. Hurting people, no. Understanding physical and social risks, yes.

Old 08-12-2022, 11:40 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
rushdie was most certainly stabbed by a "right wing extremist" just like those 4 muslim men in Albuquerque were murdered by a "right wing extremist"....right?

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-express...212932998.html

Biden, in a statement posted to Twitter on Sunday, said he’s “angered and saddened by the horrific killings.” He added that “these hateful attacks have no place in America.”

“While we await a full investigation, my prayers are with the victims’ families, and my Administration stands strongly with the Muslim community,” he said.

after the suspect killer of the four muslim men was arrested and a muslim.....crickets from biden.

Old 08-12-2022, 12:05 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
rushdie was most certainly stabbed by a "right wing extremist" just like those 4 muslim men in Albuquerque were murdered by a "right wing extremist"....right?

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-express...212932998.html

Biden, in a statement posted to Twitter on Sunday, said he’s “angered and saddened by the horrific killings.” He added that “these hateful attacks have no place in America.”

“While we await a full investigation, my prayers are with the victims’ families, and my Administration stands strongly with the Muslim community,” he said.

after the suspect killer of the four muslim men was arrested and a muslim.....crickets from biden.
Yep. As is with anything the left feigns outrage about, when they are silent once facts come out and it turns out that their initial narrative was based on lies and ignorance, you know that they don't actually give a damn about anyone (whether the Muslim community or any other person/community), but rather simply about trying to score partisan points. Do the deaths of these Muslim men someone become less important because their killer was another Muslim as opposed to a white American?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies