Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 08:45 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times

Advertisements

Who’d a thunk changing syrup bottles, pancake mix boxes, tearing down statues, banning cartoon characters, Children’s books, etc…, wouldn’t unify everyone.

Old 08-13-2022, 08:53 PM

52,257 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Who’d a thunk changing syrup bottles, pancake mix boxes, tearing down statues, banning cartoon characters, Children’s books, etc…, wouldn’t unify everyone.
Take every tenets of wokeness including CRT to their logical ends and nothing but anger, division, and resentment is the result. Ive posted that so many times, I'm getting bored of it.

Old 08-13-2022, 09:02 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Take every tenets of wokeness including CRT to their logical ends and nothing but anger, division, and resentment is the result. Ive posted that so many times, I'm getting bored of it.
Bingo…Be easier to find out what doesn’t hurt their feelings.

Old 08-13-2022, 09:28 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
It's a generic term when things that were meant in good intentions, got to extreme.

It really isn't a hard concept to understand.
Agree. Probably has always been around for centuries, people trying to be nice to other people. Probably has come and gone before, becomes revived when people become aware that some other people aren't being treated fairly. Good intentions.

I don't think anyone "started" it but different groups and movements are responsible for reviving it from time to time. So there could be a lot of answers like religions started it, civil rights started it, but it goes in and out of style.

What we are seeing now is the idea of "woke" being carried far to the extreme so that it angers the people who are accused of not being woke and it insults the very people it is trying to help.

As far as I'm concerned as a liberal Democrat, it's making me mad and I don't need anyone to tell me what words I can use. I am an adult and I care about people. If I, by mistake, do make an error and actually insult someone bigtime, then I'd appreciate being told, but to have an entire movement dedicated to how terrible we are when we are trying to be kind and nice, to create a whole portion of people as victims who are so overly sensitive that they are destroyed by a well meaning person who unknowingly utters something that has arbitrarily been determined to be "offensive" is an example of going too far and needing to be reigned in.

It does seem that any group that desires recognition lately decides to latch onto the "woke" movement and uses it to their advantage. (I don't mind some guidelines on how to be a good person but as far as telling me about "birthing people" or other far fetched nonsense, SHUT UP!!!!!!!)

Old 08-13-2022, 09:44 PM

34,048 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Charles Manson also had radical ideas that threatened the status quo. I suppose he was woke too?
He'd be a moderate wokester in 2022.

Old 08-13-2022, 09:51 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
He'd be a moderate wokester in 2022.
Yes and no. Killing white people to kick off a race war that black people would win is obviously all well and good, but,.....actually, what the hell am I talking about? I thought that I was bringing up a silly example to make a point, but I think I've hit on something: Charles Manson was the first and ultimate wokester.

Last edited by fat lou; 08-13-2022 at 10:00 PM..

Old 08-14-2022, 08:55 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
It's an offshot of Marxist thought ,same as feminism,heavy influenced by Jewish academics in America in terms of origin,
its focus is heavily focused on the concept of privilege and victimhood hierarchy,so naturally jews can absolve themselves from bearing any original sin where as a male WASP is the worst possible identity profile, it's an almost impeccably middle class pass time but it's no joke and poisonously divisive and designed to be

Last edited by irish_bob; 08-14-2022 at 09:04 AM..

Old 08-14-2022, 05:47 PM

3,748 posts, read 1,443,450 times
I'm visiting upstate NY by Buffalo. The history here is major with the great awakening. A religious movement that had a big social and cultural impact on the United States. Many people of the great awakening wanted slavery abolished, suffrage for women, better environmental justice and ban on liqour which led prohibition. Also this movement was protestant. Wokeness has been around in America for a while and has protestant origins. Btw. Great awakening did not like catholics.

Old 08-14-2022, 06:29 PM

1,480 posts, read 479,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
I'm visiting upstate NY by Buffalo. The history here is major with the great awakening. A religious movement that had a big social and cultural impact on the United States. Many people of the great awakening wanted slavery abolished, suffrage for women, better environmental justice and ban on liqour which led prohibition. Also this movement was protestant. Wokeness has been around in America for a while and has protestant origins. Btw. Great awakening did not like catholics.
When I spoke of a greater awakening in my previous post it has nothing whatsoever to do with the entities that you are talking about in your post. I have nothing to do with any of the religious entities in the world today.

I just wanted to point that out, so it doesn't become conflated.

Old 08-14-2022, 06:40 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Women.
White liberal women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies