Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 09:01 AM

37,164 posts, read 19,170,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Several things to chew on, from my understanding of New York law.

One: although the report states that Mr. Weisselberg will not cooperate with the prosecution regarding Mr. Trump as part of his plea deal, he essentially loses is Fifth Amendment rights regarding those crimes he pleads guilty to.

Two: in New York (oddly, to me), a witness that testifies in front of a grand jury in response to a subpoena is granted immunity to the subjects testified to. I believe that at one time Mr. Trump said he would testify in front of a grand jury, but they declined for that reason.

It is possible that Mr. Weisselberg is demanding 'cover' from reprisal from the Trump's by negotiating this non-cooperation clause, although, in the end, he will be cooperating.
This means that Tish James will be able to subpoena him to testify, then, and that he cannot plead the Fifth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2022, 09:22 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,091,269 times
Judge Juan Manuel Merchan agreed to sentence Weisselberg to five months incarceration at New York City’s Rikers Island jail complex and five years probation, although he will be eligible for release much earlier if he behaves well behind bars. The judge said Weisselberg will have to pay nearly $2 million in taxes, penalties and interest.

The plea bargain also requires Weisselberg to testify truthfully as a prosecution witness when the Trump Organization goes on trial in October on related charges. The company is accused of helping Weisselberg and other executives avoid income taxes by failing to accurately report their full compensation to the government.

Trump himself is not charged in the case.

https://apnews.com/article/allen-wei...fa102117718011

The fact that Weisselberg pled guilty and admitted under oath in court that he helped the Trump Organization commit tax fraud for decades . . . what could be in store for Trump himself? Care to speculate?

Old 08-18-2022, 09:32 AM

962 posts, read 540,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Judge Juan Manuel Merchan agreed to sentence Weisselberg to five months incarceration at New York City’s Rikers Island jail complex and five years probation, although he will be eligible for release much earlier if he behaves well behind bars. The judge said Weisselberg will have to pay nearly $2 million in taxes, penalties and interest.

The plea bargain also requires Weisselberg to testify truthfully as a prosecution witness when the Trump Organization goes on trial in October on related charges. The company is accused of helping Weisselberg and other executives avoid income taxes by failing to accurately report their full compensation to the government.

Trump himself is not charged in the case.

https://apnews.com/article/allen-wei...fa102117718011

The fact that Weisselberg pled guilty and admitted under oath in court that he helped the Trump Organization commit tax fraud for decades . . . what could be in store for Trump himself? Care to speculate?
I've been burned before speculating.....but there aren't many more people Weisselberg could be expected to "flip" on. He's been with Trump for decades.

Old 08-18-2022, 09:47 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,091,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
I've been burned before speculating.....but there aren't many more people Weisselberg could be expected to "flip" on. He's been with Trump for decades.
Yeah but he said that he helped the Trump Organization commit tax fraud for decades and now he has to serve time in prison.

Feels different this time.

Old 08-18-2022, 11:00 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,049,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
He didnt commit any crimes on the behalf of Trump. They are getting him on that he did not include his car allowance, and housing allowance (which is very tricky to navigate) in his personal tax records.

I see issues around these areas regularly in corporate america.
That is a hilarious understatement. This is not a housing and car allowance. It's a luxury apartment for years, I seem to remember there was an apartment for his kid, too (didn't this all come to life because his daughter in law finally blew the whistle?), a Mercedes for him and another for his wife, years of private school education for his grandchildren... it's money thrown in every corner of their life, amounting to millions of dollars, to make it look like something other than taxable income.

Old 08-18-2022, 12:09 PM

10,418 posts, read 6,946,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
That is a hilarious understatement. This is not a housing and car allowance. It's a luxury apartment for years, I seem to remember there was an apartment for his kid, too (didn't this all come to life because his daughter in law finally blew the whistle?), a Mercedes for him and another for his wife, years of private school education for his grandchildren... it's money thrown in every corner of their life, amounting to millions of dollars, to make it look like something other than taxable income.
These are pretty standard perks in business, and tax law is incredibly difficult to navigate. If you're traveling for business many times you're put up in Corporate Housing (a rental by the Corporate Company), many times you can stay there X amount of time before it taxable. Id speculate, since Trump is in Real Estate, and CFO, the housing offered is a bit nicer when traveling for business.

Anyway, I'd bet if you went into the leadership of any corporate company, you would find some non-compliance (intentional or not) to tax law is pretty common.

Old 08-18-2022, 01:01 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,323,939 times
Judge warns Allen Weisselberg: Testify 'truthfully' against Trump Org or go to jail for 15 years

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...b35ce3a0c278f8

Old 08-18-2022, 02:28 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member1 View Post
Trump's longtime CFO Allen Weisselberg has agreed to plead guilty to a felony in exchange for a lower jail sentence...

Trump Executive Nears Plea Deal With Manhattan Prosecutors - New York Times
Yeah, for not reporting 1.7 million company benefits as his income.

That’s a long stretch.

All of us are guilty of that.

Old 08-18-2022, 02:34 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
He didnt commit any crimes on the behalf of Trump. They are getting him on that he did not include his car allowance, and housing allowance (which is very tricky to navigate) in his personal tax records.

I see issues around these areas regularly in corporate america.
Yup. The witch hunt continues - if you float, you are guilty.

Old 08-18-2022, 04:49 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,096,991 times
Seems like a lot of people are falling all over themselves to find excuses for this guy.

The same people and personalities all about law and order during George Floyd protests.

15 years vs a few months. I don’t think a guy who’s innocent that can afford good lawyers would go for that.

Either way I am getting an Epstein vibe. I’ll be amazed if he gets the chance to testify about anything regarding Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies