Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2022, 09:35 AM

25,441 posts, read 9,802,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You can homeschool or private school. Kids would have to eat whether at home or school.
Some people can't afford private school. Other families are two-earner households and there is no one there to homeschool the child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2022, 09:47 AM

23,975 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yep, it's ridiculous and I live there. What really got me is when the schools weren't even in session because of Covid but the parents could drive up to the school and pick up their kids free lunches.
And many in my neighborhood did. The working from home mons were all over Next Door telling each other to go to the school in the AM, get breakfast, lunch and a snack. They were driving 50K cars from their 300K+ houses tpo pick up the free meals.

Old 08-17-2022, 09:56 AM

130,261 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Oh the horrors of feeding the hungry.

Old 08-17-2022, 09:58 AM

23,975 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
There is no study saying it increases academic success.

Having breakfast does give you energy though and increases concentration.
From that the government concluded it makes you "smarter".

Ask any teacher. My DD used to take food for her students every day.

IMO, we will be paying one way or another. It's just a question of which pocket does the money come from.

School lunches or increased healthcare cost when they are bigger.

Children need to know the purpose of eating is to nourish their bodies. It is not because they like nuggets and ice cream.

I'd rather start school at pre K so the nourishment and how to live in a civilized culture indoctrination does some good rather than pay 50K a year to put them in jail.

Old 08-17-2022, 09:59 AM

2,869 posts, read 1,149,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
The issue goes WAY deeper than "feeding the hungry", my friend.
I could explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
Dig deeper than the cover story.

Old 08-17-2022, 10:03 AM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Which doesn’t change my position by one iota. Again, the government mandates that our children attend school. It is therefore the government’s responsibility to ensure that our children are supplied with food while they are there. I’m perfectly fine with using taxpayer money to do so.

Taxpayer money provides food for inmates in jails and prisons across the country, do you have an issue with that as well? Are you going to argue against feeding prisoners the same way you argue against feeding children? In reality, the only difference between being in jail and being a student is that students go home at the end of the day. Both are forced to be there by big government.
Why is it because the government mandate our children are educated (they could also be homeschooled or go to private school) the government is also responsible for feeding them while they are there. Should they not also be responsible for their mandated clothing costs (if there is any) and medical coverage while they are there and the cost of required vaccinations?

Are you really comparing incarceration to attending public schools? The schools provide hot meals for those who cant or choose not to bring a lunch from home, why must it be free if the parents are capable of paying for it or providing a lunch? Inmates are not able to bring a lunch from home or pay for their basic food. Even inmates must pay for extras, food, under clothing, soap, etc. through commissary money.

Old 08-17-2022, 10:03 AM

6,799 posts, read 9,350,606 times
Quote:
Oh please, by the way some people are talking, you would think that children are starving and dying in the streets, en masse, because not every child receives a “free” lunch at school.

“Free” lunches already exist for kids who qualify for it as well as “reduced price” lunches, so I’m not sure why we need big government programs to ensure that every single kid regardless of income gets a “free” lunch.

Old 08-17-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Some people can't afford private school. Other families are two-earner households and there is no one there to homeschool the child.
The point is the government does not force you to send your kids to public school. You have choices.

Old 08-17-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Should we feed every single person in the US even those not hungry and will throw away the food so we dont miss one person who might be hungry. Or should we save resources and make sure we concentrate on feeding those who are actually hungry.

Old 08-17-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Oh please, by the way some people are talking, you would think that children are starving and dying in the streets, en masse, because not every child receives a “free” lunch at school.

“Free” lunches already exist for kids who qualify for it as well as “reduced price” lunches, so I’m not sure why we need big government programs to ensure that every single kid regardless of income gets a “free” lunch.
Exactly.
People had the same reaction when block grant monies were cut for meals on wheels even though most of the funding for the program was from other sources. All the elderly folks were going to starve to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies