Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 09:51 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

That's the only way the system is fair.
"Fairness" is not a worthy goal for the government to pursue. I'm for eliminating tax policies that subsidize/encourage/discourage particular behaviors because I think they interfere with the market and eventually cause more harm than good.

But I guess that's another philosophical question for another day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 04:44 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Where did I say anything about dependent deductions? Perhaps you have a comprehension problem or are purposely obtuse, who knows?

How about this: Child Care Tax Deduction 101 (http://ezinearticles.com/?Child-Care-Tax-Deduction-101&id=351749 - broken link) or this:
Child Tax Credit: How to Claim the Child Tax Credit on Form 1040
These are benefits in addition that you receive if you have kids 12 and under. That’s coming out of my pocket.

The only fair way to tax is by taxing all people at the same rate, married or single, childed or not.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:10 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
So, that's your decision.
Why am I paying for it?
You chose to breed, therefore the responsibility is yours, not mine.
You're not special because you breed.

Because the cost outweighs the tax break, you should get a tax break?
If you can't take care of them, don't have them.

I pay big tax dollars to fund public schools. I've never used them, nor will I.
That's enough of a benefit to those of you who breed.

Each person should pay taxes on income, across the board whether they be married, single, or childed, childfree or childless.

This is the way it is & its been determined over a long period to be fair & equitable. Theres better targets for your wrath against unfair tax burdens than kids.

I'm not special because I had kids, thats silly. But your not special because you didn't. You pay your share like we all do. Dont like it? Your not chained to this country.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:14 AM

Why not pay your own trip through this life, why am I subsidizing you?
Perhaps the laws should change.

I pay for more than my share, I pay part of yours, as well. Fair and equitable, indeed; perhaps for you, but not for me.

Excellent, America love it or leave it. Thanks, but I'm more of an America, love it and change it type of person.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:46 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:

I pay for more than my share, I pay part of yours, as well. Fair and equitable, indeed; perhaps for you, but not for me.

Excellent, America love it or leave it. Thanks, but I'm more of an America, love it and change it type of person.
Blah blah blah. You dont pay my share, thats ridiculous. You pay what the law says you should.
It costs you much more to fund generations of welfare leech's, illegal immigrants, drug addicts & corporate subsidies than the pittance it costs because some people have kids.

If you want the laws changed write your legislators Most people think kids are pretty important & dont mind tax dollars funding schools or helping people who bring the next generation into the world though, so dont get upset if they say they dissagree.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:08 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Quote:
So, that's your decision.
Why am I paying for it?
You chose to breed, therefore the responsibility is yours, not mine.
You're not special because you breed.

Because the cost outweighs the tax break, you should get a tax break?
If you can't take care of them, don't have them.

I pay big tax dollars to fund public schools. I've never used them, nor will I.
That's enough of a benefit to those of you who breed.

Each person should pay taxes on income, across the board whether they be married, single, or childed, childfree or childless.

Why is it that whenever the issue of children is brought up you post back with such vitriol on every thread? I mean really! And you constantly bring up the word "breed" in relation to children and parenting! Why do you hate children so much? I can hear the hiss in your voice every time the word "child" is mentioned?

Old 05-27-2008, 02:42 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,520,316 times
Quote:
richurch, I think that changed under the Bush pResidency.
Marriage frequently results in children, there's a special child deduction, other than dependent for daycare or some such nonsense.
You don't get the deduction for children unless you have the children. As a person who has been filing my own taxes for years, I have been the following: Single with dependents claiming only myself (I received more back on my tax returns when I filed this way than any other way), single with one dependent child (only got a small tax credit for this child and thank goodness I did, and yes I made the decision to have the child, but I did not give birth in order to receive a tax break and raising my child costs much more than the small break they give you), and most recently I filed Married with one dependent.

There is still a marriage penalty! People who think there is not do not know what they are talking about. I know quite a few people who did not get married specifically for financial reasons!

Please specify the actual financial benefits of being married and give me some hard evidence!

Thanks!

Old 05-27-2008, 02:47 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,520,316 times
Quote:

I pay my taxes, I support my children, I do not sit on my behind waiting for a check for doing absolutely nothing. Maybe your complaint would be valid were it against the mother who gives birth to 7 kids by 7 different baby daddies in order to get more money for drugs and alcohol, but you have no legitimate complaint against hardworking people who pay their taxes and happen to want to bring beautiful lives to this world. Seriously.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:57 PM

Then give up any special privileges and breaks you get for having kids. For example, any type of childcare benefits. Yes, it is only a small amount, yet you (generic) take it. It rewards one segment of society over another. No one is special.

Do I hate children, absolutely not. I find almost all parents to be pretty poor, though.
My personal philosophy is that most people shouldn't breed.

The only fair way to tax people is all at the same rate, married/single or childed/childfree.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:23 PM

955 posts, read 2,157,312 times
Quote:
How about this: Child Care Tax Deduction 101 (http://ezinearticles.com/?Child-Care-Tax-Deduction-101&id=351749 - broken link) or this:
Child Tax Credit: How to Claim the Child Tax Credit on Form 1040
These are benefits in addition that you receive if you have kids 12 and under. That’s coming out of my pocket.

The only fair way to tax is by taxing all people at the same rate, married or single, childed or not.
I hope you mean that everyone, regardless of income, is taxed at the same rate. Where do we sign up?

As far as any Benefit/(Penalty) for marriage and children, it sounds OK by me. We can shut up all the folks griping about global warming ocean rise in 2050 and all of this stuff about how bad it is leaving all this federal debt to pay by our grandchildren. Who cares? Why worry about those issues which are all distant future oriented?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies