Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 08:34 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times

Advertisements

Why not just ban and burn all books like Fahrenheit 451. These dystopian novels seem to have foretold our future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2022, 08:40 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
Public school is for learning math, science, english, literature, history, foreign languages, etc.

Public school is not for religious studies, except in historical contexts, and school is not for pseudo-science (e.g. gender theory, feminism, or tranny/LGBT propaganda).
That’s the old way of thinking. Let me see if I can help you out here…

Quote:
Religion, Political Religion, and Science

I have already suggested that thought reform bears many re- semblances to practices of organized religion, and to various kinds of religious re-education. Indeed, most of the psychological themes of ideological totalism can be found somewhere in the Judeo- Christian tradition, however indirect any such theological in- fluences may have been in the development of thought reform itself. These totalist tendencies have usually been related either to the theocratic search for heresy or to patterns of revitalizing enthusiasm—or (as in thought reform) to both.

In the first of these, the theocratic search for heresy, the in- evitable assumption is that the administrators—whether themselves secular or clerical—rule their community and carry out their ideo- logical purifications only as agents of a perfect and omniscient deity. The classical examples are the Inquisition of the middle ages and the treason and anti-Papist trials of sixteenth-century England. Both of these movements were characterized by orgies of false confessions, apparently produced by psychological manipulations of reality, identity, and guilt similar to those of thought reform. Thus the Inquisition created its own witches, much as thought reform created its spies and reactionaries—this despite the fact that Inquisitors were specifically cautioned in one of their "technical manuals" (Malleus Maleficarum or Witches' Hammer) 23 against the undesirable possibility of producing false confessions. And prominent persons in Tudor England, impressed by "the brilliant aura of divinity, the inscrutable light of infallibility which emanated from the royal person" denounced themselves for crimes they had never committed.24 Chinese Confucianism (whether or not one considers it a religion) on the whole avoided such tendencies, al- though it too at times became sensitive to heresy and moved in the direction of totalism; for the most part it created something closer to what Whitehead has termed a "genial orthodoxy," and allowed a considerable amount of personal leeway within the limits of its unchallengeable assumptions (in this respect not unlike some phases of medieval Catholicism).
https://ia802202.us.archive.org/35/i...f_Totalism.pdf

What do you think “woke” means psychologically? It’s essentially the Marxist version of being “saved” in Christianity terms. It’s the gaining of a “critical consciousness.”

Old 08-17-2022, 08:41 PM

37,199 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why not just ban and burn all books like Fahrenheit 451. These dystopian novels seem to have foretold our future.
It's all relative.

"1984" has been banned here multiple times over the years as being pro-Communist.

Russia banned it because it is anti-Communist.

At the end of the day, it teaches a lesson and makes the reader think. That alone makes it a danger to a lot of weak minds.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:47 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
That’s the old way of thinking. Let me see if I can help you out here…

https://ia802202.us.archive.org/35/i...f_Totalism.pdf

What do you think “woke” means psychologically? It’s essentially the Marxist version of being “saved” in Christianity terms. It’s the gaining of a “critical consciousness.”
What was that badly written quote supposed to prove?

Oh, I see, it is "A Study of Brainwashing in China."

Interesting I suppose.

Old 08-17-2022, 09:03 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
It's all relative.

"1984" has been banned here multiple times over the years as being pro-Communist.

Russia banned it because it is anti-Communist.

At the end of the day, it teaches a lesson and makes the reader think. That alone makes it a danger to a lot of weak minds.
It's wanting to suppress knowledge and individuality. They want ignorance and conformity. Banning Anne Frank...seriously. Some of the books they are banning are acclaimed novels.

Old 08-17-2022, 09:06 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
once again, you teeter back towards ignorant partisan instead of rational debater. And I know people hate being called ignorant, but the meaning is "lacking knowledge; unaware or uninformed".

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...ages-1.5933033

from a 2021 article announcing the end of publishing. In less than 2 decades, the National Education Ass'n, whoever they are, went from intentionally linking themselves to Dr Seuss to distancing themselves. I wonder what changed?

the Company/estate announced they would no longer publish the books in 2021. In 2017, a "progressive" Trump-hating school librarian sought infamy by criticizing Seuss because she hated Trump so much. And it was reported on CBS News, among others ...

https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/...melania-trump/

Was the Cat in the Hat Black?: The Hidden Racism of Children's Literature, and the Need for Diverse Books. New York and London: Oxford University Press, 2017.
So what is your point? That books written decades ago don't live up to today's sensibilities and mores? I wouldn't expect them to.

Looks like various things were pointed out over the years, the Seuss estate/publisher reviewed the books and decided to discontinue some of them. I still don't see where any outsiders cancelled them. It was the decision of the estate/publisher.

That is all I was saying. An outside entity did not cancel several Dr Seuss books. The estate/publisher did it themselves.

==========
Next time you start a post to me with an insult, I will report you. You have a habit of doing that.

Old 08-17-2022, 09:07 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
They can play around with their system for a bit, maybe tweak it or even toss it out completely if they want. Time will tell ehh?

Old 08-17-2022, 09:25 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
What was that badly written quote supposed to prove?

Oh, I see, it is "A Study of Brainwashing in China."

Interesting I suppose.
Robert Lifton is part of the Collegium International. That would be the collective of global elites who were tasked with making the UN’s SDG’s come to fruition concretely and forcefully.

Quote:
The International Ethical Collegium is an important new global voice. Its membership includes philosophers, diplomats, scientists, human rights activists and current and former Heads of State and governments, like ex-President of Ireland and former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Mary Robinson, who want the global community to respond "intelligently and forcefully to the decisive challenges facing humankind." (The group has recently published an important Open Letter to George W. Bush and John Kerry, which is reprinted below.)
https://web.archive.org/web/20071013...bid=7&pid=1822

So why is that important?

Quote:
Michel Rocard defends another governance

Tribune of Geneva. March 7, 2012. By Alain Jourdan.

The former French Prime Minister was in Geneva yesterday to relay the call of the Collegium International.

Michel Rocard was alongside Stéphane Hessel yesterday in Geneva to present the "Call for solidarity and responsible global governance" written by the Collegium International. It is a synthesis of a very dense reflection conducted by intellectuals and former political leaders who have come to the conclusion that a "process of metamorphosis" must be initiated towards a "global community".

"I am aware that talking about global governance at the moment is incongruous," admits the former French Prime Minister. "But don't take us for idle dreamers who don't know how to fight," he warned. The Collegium International, of which it is the voice, advocates, among other things, the parenthesis of the concept of a nation-state. It would be "largely outdated" because it is unable to face the challenges of "interdependence" in a globalized world. Michel Rocard distinguishes four: global warming, financial bubbles, rising unemployment and precariousness, new crime.
https://web.archive.org/web/20210519...uvernance.html

You should probably concern yourself with how there are too many hyphens in a quote, that’s what’s super duper important.
Attached Thumbnails
A Texas School District Just Banned the Bible. Oops.-336f51a8-d117-4339-8dfe-d889496915a2.jpeg  

Old 08-18-2022, 08:22 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Elementary schools don't have adult sections. But nice try -- have you ever been in an elementary school library?
Since I have 2 children that have gone through PS recently (oldest is 20), since I volunteer-tutored ("disadvantaged" students), since I volunteered to read during class "library" time, and since I donated books to all of their teachers past and present during the "Book Fair" (where I also volunteered) in a 30%+ free and reduced lunch school, the answer is YES.

You are trying to conflate elementary school with "12-18 year old students".

You're also skipping that I have said, and most conservatives I've seen post, say "put the books where minors don't have access" - which might be a "school library" but just as frequently would be the public library with Youth and Adult sections.

If a particularly self-enlightened parent wants their minor to have the ability to read these, or any adult books, they are welcome to sign a waiver or whatever the system chooses to put in place.

Quote:
I clearly used pulling a book from library because I don't accept the 'banned' book terminology being used.

Do you know any librarians.
you "clearly" said "banned" multiple times and "pulling a book" once.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:27 AM

37,199 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
It's wanting to suppress knowledge and individuality. They want ignorance and conformity. Banning Anne Frank...seriously. Some of the books they are banning are acclaimed novels.
"Huckleberry Finn" has been banned scores of times as racist for the use of a word that was contemporary jargon in the day the book was written, completely ignoring the fact that Tom decides he would rather go to hell for the sin of breaking the law than turn his friend over to the authorities. It is easily one of the least racist books in the history of literature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies