Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 10:26 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
So I am noticing this more and more. There are people who throw their hat in the ring and they must know they don't have a chance. I think Liz Cheney will. Mike Pence. So what's the end game here. Do they get to keep all the campaign money they pull in somehow? What's the point?
Name recognition, cabinet positions, future opportunities etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2022, 10:27 AM

2,723 posts, read 6,108,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Cheney will run against Trump as an independent just to steal enough votes for him to lose. She will be the Ralph Nader of 2024.
She's already got my vote.

Old 08-17-2022, 10:32 AM

962 posts, read 540,481 times
I think the simpler answer is that these politicians think they can win. They're typically surrounded by yes men/women who, in the interest of their own careers, encourage these politicians to run. Also, the type of person to run for office is usually the type of person who thinks a little too highly of themselves.

But then again, no one knew who John Kerry was in 2004, and he somehow won the nomination. Sometimes all it takes is a surprise performance in Iowa (though it looks like the Dems are abandoning Iowa as the first caucus/primary).

Old 08-17-2022, 10:38 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
What was the point of DJT running in 2016? He didn't stand a chance.
Tell that to the GOP primary voters who enthusiastically embraced DJT from the day he entered the context. Liz Cheney can't even compare to that level of support. We certainly didn't feel like we were throwing our votes away.

The radical left thought that DJT couldn't win, but that's because they didn't have their pulse on the electorate. They had already written the script for Hillary's victory speech and didn't give a damn about the rank and file voter.

Old 08-17-2022, 10:40 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Traditionally, it’s two-fold. One, they want to be able to impact the platform. They get their message out and if enough voters identify with it the winning candidate may adopt it either in an attempt to get their supporters voting for them or the party more or less forces them to. Two, they are aiming for a job in the administration.

This time? Number one is probably the motivator for Pence. Cheney, on the other hand is probably neither. I’m going in her case with being given an opportunity to directly attack Trump during debates and hoping to sabotage him enough to keep him off the ticket. I personally wish her well on that front.
I suspect that the GOP will develop a rather stringent polling standard that keeps Cheney from appearing in any debates, assuming that she isn't able to increase her support among the GOP electorate, which I doubt she will.

Old 08-17-2022, 10:44 AM

4,653 posts, read 1,947,611 times
Surprised nobody mentioned the biggest motivator of them all. Pride and Profit. Get their face all over the National Spotlight for a short time and a chance for the talking circuit, book deals, and the ever important free publicity to run for other public office.

Old 08-17-2022, 10:44 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,232,627 times
Never know until you try.

There were always a lot of people that wanted to run for President before, the difference was the Parties would do most of the selection and the voters only got to pick from who made it past the party process.

Nowadays it is a much more open process for both parties since many candidates can fundraise without "Party Money", the main constrainer parties had. This changed big time in 2005 so candidates now fundraise without party money or are already a Billionaire that is self-funding while hoping they get a spot on the 1st Primary stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies