Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 10:58 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Couple of issues with this idea...

First, there could be innocent shoppers in the store.

Second, cleanup costs would be astronomical - cheaper to let them take the stuff.

Third, if the clerk is encased in a bulletproof chamber, there's no longer a threat to them and deadly force is no longer justified - it would be murder.

Just sayin'.

Many stores are fully equipped with fully locked doors once someone commits crime. It’s literally the only way for them to get caught as they wait for police.

Search on YouTube, there’s plenty of viral videos of it.

As far as innocents go, most criminals like to wait until the store is empty to do something stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2022, 10:59 AM

6,666 posts, read 2,972,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The greatest theft by far is being carried out by our government and their banker buddies on Wall Street.
Sure, that's a whole other thread, imho. But it's not like Millennials and Gen z'ers are not embedded into that world either.

Quote:
Why do people commit crimes?
Of course there are a multitude of reasons. There is never one answer.

To keep to the thread,..why do people commit illegal street takeovers and rob convenience stores for junk food? They are trash people reverting to base caveman states, and I seriously doubt anyone in there gives a hoot about boomers.

Quote:
What do you mean by wealth? Numbers?
I mean, if the case is made that these Millenials and Genzers are victims due to boomers squandering their old money. People of today have ways to make their own fortune. Totally new fields and jobs are created with each new tech. It's there is you want to pursue it. And no reason to rely on Old Boomer Money to give you a leg up. Or blame them if you don't have it.

Quote:
the problem goes back much further than baby boomers

and to prevent its becoming pursy and lazy, from having nothing to whip." - Robert Lewis Dabney, 1897
If we gonna go back so far, it may just be human nature. That passage you quoted sounds like any party. Each looks out for a new boogeyman to whip to get enough votes to stick around.

Generations from now, whatever the new label will be, will blame the current Millennials/Gen z'ers for some other dumb stuff. Like maybe squandering the Internet and giving up their rights to online conglomerates by enabling FB and Tik Tok. Or putting their faith in virtual vaporware currencies.

I am not saying boomers are perfect, or the past in general even. I just don't see it as generally useful to point out. I feel we've come and evolved way past the point of attachment to the past. There can be a point in time where we can say,..ok,..all this,...right now,..we are responsible for this garbage.

Old 08-19-2022, 11:04 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
What sort of Newspeak do you think the "academics" and the Orwellian media will invent to describe these sorts of activities, once they become truly ubiquitous across the nation? Maybe something like:
  • Spontaneous Equity Incident
  • Involuntary Repatriation of Stolen Capital
  • Colonialist Karma
  • Property Resettlement/Reallocation/Redistribution
  • Mostly Peaceful Self-Help
  • Anti-Corporatist Activity
Feel free to add your own!
Reparations pending
Welfare reallocation
Bread line buffet
Capitalistic karma
“The store has insurance, so who cares.”
Inequality readjustment
Affirmative action
Inflation revenge

Old 08-19-2022, 11:04 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,175,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
A legacy of the defund the police stupidity and continued coddling of criminal thugs.

Our nation is doomed.

https://www.foxla.com/news/flash-mob...geles-7-eleven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHNOVAWyBBE
Hmm... this is perfectly legal in LA.

https://pubdef.lacounty.gov/prop47/what-is-p47/

Quote:
Proposition 47 (Prop 47) was a ballot measure passed by California voters on November 5, 2014. The law made some non-violent property crimes, where the value does not exceed $950, into misdemeanors. It also made some simple drug possession offenses into misdemeanors. It also provides that past convictions for these charges may be reduced to a misdemeanor by a court. Under Prop 47, you may qualify for a reduction from a felony to a misdemeanor for some of the following offenses:

Certain Forgeries
Commercial Burglary
Petty Theft with Priors
Bad Check
Grand Theft Crimes
Possession of Stolen Property
Possession of a Controlled Substance
Individuals eligible for resentencing/ reclassification under Proposition 47 must file their applications/petitions by November 4, 2022. If you think you may qualify for Prop 47 legal relief, please complete our intake form by clicking here, or you may also visit one of our Public Defender offices, here.

Old 08-19-2022, 11:05 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times
Quote:
And you can blame baby boomers and gen x.
call me crazy, but none of those criminals appear to be older than 40.

Now, it would be like a Millenial (especially) or the oldest Gen Z'ers to blame someone else for why they chose to break the law.

Old 08-19-2022, 11:06 AM

4,661 posts, read 1,952,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Just keeping it street. No need to trip. Encouraging to see Hispanics and Blacks looting together. However, let's not rush to judgment. The jury is still out on racial solidarity. Not a lot of high priced items in a 7-11. Nobody is going to get into a fist fight over hostess cups cakes (or at least not this looting.)

And what about the cash register? Anybody get the money? That's the real prize.
Please everybody knows the real prize at 7/11 is the slurpee machine

Old 08-19-2022, 11:20 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Couple of issues with this idea...

First, there could be innocent shoppers in the store.
True. That issue would have to be addressed. I'm sure we have some high-tech solution just waiting to be found.

Quote:
Second, cleanup costs would be astronomical - cheaper to let them take the stuff.
Ah, not so much. Just a fumigator and a meat by-products truck. Give the dog food manufacturers some sort of subsidy.

Quote:
Third, if the clerk is encased in a bulletproof chamber, there's no longer a threat to them and deadly force is no longer justified - it would be murder.
Yeah, but that's not really the point. It's more about ridding the world of "waste" and saving the taxpayers years worth of catch and release costs, court and appeal costs when the criminal is finally dealt with, and the cost of room and board in prison for a lifetime of ins and outs.

Old 08-19-2022, 11:21 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
To keep to the thread,..why do people commit illegal street takeovers and rob convenience stores for junk food?
Because they don't like capitalism, and they don't like you.

Quote:
I mean, if the case is made that these Millenials and Genzers are victims due to boomers squandering their old money.
What Baby-Boomers squandered was not money. It was far more valuable.

Quote:
Generations from now, whatever the new label will be, will blame the current Millennials/Gen z'ers for some other dumb stuff. Like maybe squandering the Internet and giving up their rights to online conglomerates by enabling FB and Tik Tok. Or putting their faith in virtual vaporware currencies.
That is all correct. Is it not?

Quote:
I am not saying boomers are perfect, or the past in general even. I just don't see it as generally useful to point out. I feel we've come and evolved way past the point of attachment to the past. There can be a point in time where we can say,..ok,..all this,...right now,..we are responsible for this garbage.
If government schools are telling children to cut off their penises and take hormones, don't blame the children. If you want to blame democrats, that's fine. I blame conservatives, because conservatives were too cowardly and utterly pathetic to do anything about it. They support the system unconditionally and demand blind obedience.

When the democrats pass a law to take your guns, I'm going to lambast you as a criminal when you complain. You must obey.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 08-19-2022 at 11:34 AM..

Old 08-19-2022, 11:27 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It's not reasonable to me. Regardless of the crime going on, being a racist is never reasonable, period. Anyone who thinks otherwise has some despicable thinking. No one should be a racist, period.

I've been subjected to violence by some White people. I don't go taking that out on the entire White population. Anyone who would go after the innocent because of the guilty is despicable.
yes, racism is wrong.

however, oftentimes, well-defined stereotyping is unavoidable and not wrong.

Old 08-19-2022, 11:32 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
yes, racism is wrong.

however, oftentimes, well-defined stereotyping is unavoidable and not wrong.
When it comes to stereotyping, I understand I will end up on the wrong side of that as well. I do not want to deal with some individuals judging me based on those who have committed crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies