Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 08:22 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,794,600 times

Advertisements

- San Francisco's downtown activity was down to 31 compared to 2019 as the city contends with high crime despite finally agreeing to shut down its controversial open-air drug market by the end of the year

- Cleveland's downtown activity was down to 36 percent, a blow to the city making strides to fight back decade high crime rates and giving police more leeway to crack down on crime

- Portland had the third worst downtown activity since its pre-pandemic era, down to 41 percent, as homeless encampments surge in the city that championed the defund the police movement

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...own-areas.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2022, 08:30 PM

18,744 posts, read 7,613,748 times
The headline of the article said downtown activity of the worst three large cities was down "almost 50%".

But the numbers in the body of the article said it was even worse: San Fran down to 31% of its level three years ago; Cleveland down to 36%; and Portland OR down to 41%. All three are run by Democrats.

Sometimes the headline is written by a different guy from the one who wrote (and researched) the article.

Old 08-19-2022, 08:32 PM

9,100 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Even before COVID I had no reasons to visit any downtowns.

Old 08-19-2022, 09:06 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
I don't live in an area with a massive downtown, but I simply detest traffic and taking long times to get to places because of stoplights and other obstructions. The fact they haven't made smarter stoplights by now that don't leave lots of idle time where no traffic flows hinders my wantingness to drive all over the place, forget even about the rising crime rates and homeless. Throw in inattentive drivers on their phones all the time not paying attention, argh. Also, left turn arrows that never stay green long enough to let all the traffic pass.

Plus, with inflation, the cost of anything from a niche mom and pop type restaurant is through the roof. I mostly cook my own food now. Ordering goods from Amazon is easy and convenient. Most of the places I shop at located themselves in the perimeter of the city near the interstates. Good enough for me. I do pass through downtown on my road bike, because the bike trail goes right through the middle. That's enjoyable. Any business within 1/4 mile is fair game, such as the coffee shop.

Old 08-19-2022, 09:08 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,980,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
The headline of the article said downtown activity of the worst three large cities was down "almost 50%".

But the numbers in the body of the article said it was even worse: San Fran down to 31% of its level three years ago; Cleveland down to 36%; and Portland OR down to 41%. All three are run by Democrats.

Sometimes the headline is written by a different guy from the one who wrote (and researched) the article.
[Each of] Cleveland, San Fran, Portland has seen activity drop by almost 50%. Pretty clear that's what's being conveyed; there is no problem with the headline vis-a-vis the article.

Old 08-19-2022, 09:29 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,865,359 times
Most United States large cities downtown's just don't offer much these days.

A majority of large American cities these days are a very depressing experience at ground level.

A typical large city in America these days is thousands of very desperate people with dozens of luxury high-rises with lots of vacant retail that is boarded-up at ground level.

The 2000 to 2020 period of vibrant, interesting downtown's for a majority of America's largest cities has come to an end.

A majority of large cities are just full of desperation at ground level and than there are these massive luxury apartment buildings many of which have vacant retail at store level.

The nicest downtowns seem to be in smaller city that cater to tourists, have a large percentage seniors or those in their early 20s.

Old 08-19-2022, 09:35 PM

18,744 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
[Each of] Cleveland, San Fran, Portland has seen activity drop by almost 50%. Pretty clear that's what's being conveyed; there is no problem with the headline vis-a-vis the article.
That's what the headline said. But it's not what the body of the article said. As I pointed out.

Which is right?

Old 08-19-2022, 09:52 PM

2,912 posts, read 1,249,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
- San Francisco's downtown activity was down to 31 compared to 2019 as the city contends with high crime despite finally agreeing to shut down its controversial open-air drug market by the end of the year

- Cleveland's downtown activity was down to 36 percent, a blow to the city making strides to fight back decade high crime rates and giving police more leeway to crack down on crime

- Portland had the third worst downtown activity since its pre-pandemic era, down to 41 percent, as homeless encampments surge in the city that championed the defund the police movement

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...own-areas.html
Prior to the 'Summer Of Love' I would likely visit downtown Cleveland a dozen times a year. Browns games, Indians games and concerts. The last time I was in Cleveland was in February 2020 at the Agora for a concert. I have NO intention of ever returning. There is no safety or enjoyment to be found in a Democrat stronghold.

Old 08-19-2022, 09:52 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,794,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Most United States large cities downtown's just don't offer much these days.

A majority of large American cities these days are a very depressing experience at ground level.

A typical large city in America these days is thousands of very desperate people with dozens of luxury high-rises with lots of vacant retail that is boarded-up at ground level.

The 2000 to 2020 period of vibrant, interesting downtown's for a majority of America's largest cities has come to an end.

A majority of large cities are just full of desperation at ground level and than there are these massive luxury apartment buildings many of which have vacant retail at store level.

The nicest downtowns seem to be in smaller city that cater to tourists, have a large percentage seniors or those in their early 20s.
There are some exceptions like the Florida cities which seem to be doing better than ever. Smaller cities down south and out west like Scottsdale, Greenville, Salt Lake seem to be doing well. But as a whole yeah major coastal cities are a mess. Depressing places to be. Have you seen Philadelphia lately? It’s turned into a dystopian place.

Old 08-19-2022, 09:57 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,980,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
That's what the headline said. But it's not what the body of the article said. As I pointed out.

Which is right?
Damn, I misread, my bad. You were right; they do contradict each other. What a mess. Who knows which is right? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies