Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2022, 06:02 PM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Slavery was abolished in the constitution.
If the majority voted for slavery it would still be illegal unless the constitution is amended by congress and signed by the president.

What Im ok with has zero to do with democracy.

Way to completely miss the point.

The point is that tyranny of the majority is a concept that depends entirely on which side of the tyranny you're on.

The imposing or the imposed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 08:14 PM

13,610 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Yep...no President in American history did this before although it sometimes still happens in 3rd world countries with autocratic dictators.
Chavez used democracy to consolidate power he held a election and declared the will of the people wanted him to have overriding power above the Venezuelan constitution, then ended democracy in Venezuela, the leftist Democrats are attempting the same in the U.S.A

I seem to remember AOC and other leftists calling for a revenge list against Trump supporters, you don't get much more 3rd world banana republic than that, well except also when you use the power of government to go after your opponents by raiding, intimidating and persecuting them, which that step was done recently also.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:19 AM

20,042 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
At a minimum, they were in active combat with the cops in order to break into the Capitol and stop the certification of the Electoral College votes. Isn't that bad enough?
No. Murder is the game changer.
Riots and good old fashioned violent protests are now as American as apple pie.
It’s all fun and games until you start killing people.
I know it’s very disappointing that the protesters at the capital didn’t kill anybody, including cops.

Old 08-24-2022, 04:04 AM

4,855 posts, read 2,669,970 times
from the left it means people like Trump or Desantis will be autocratic rulers taking away personal freedoms of people even when that is exactly what they say they are giving to people..

from the right it means taking away personal freedoms of certain demographics so minorities end up having more rights and personal freedoms than them..no whites allowed in certain places because of white violence ring a bell?..

and nowhere to be found are straight down the middle centrist positions even talked about in political circles..

at least that is what it means to me..we're screwed unless we put some common sense politicians in charge..be careful who you vote for..

Old 08-24-2022, 04:10 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Chavez used democracy to consolidate power he held a election and declared the will of the people wanted him to have overriding power above the Venezuelan constitution, then ended democracy in Venezuela, the leftist Democrats are attempting the same in the U.S.A

I seem to remember AOC and other leftists calling for a revenge list against Trump supporters, you don't get much more 3rd world banana republic than that, well except also when you use the power of government to go after your opponents by raiding, intimidating and persecuting them, which that step was done recently also.
Meanwhile half of the country is asleep at the switch while the left tries their power grab.
And anyone like us who points this stuff out is quickly labeled a conspiracy theorist.

Old 08-24-2022, 04:23 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,251,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Meanwhile half of the country is asleep at the switch while the left tries their power grab.
And anyone like us who points this stuff out is quickly labeled a conspiracy theorist.
If you actually think people vote for democrats because they are asleep, then i am going to say you got it all wrong. They are paying attention and see it differently than you.
What is going on currently is waking up a lot of young people and others who would never really vote. Be more afraid of the population that is waking up than the population that is asleep.

It’s the newly awake voters, the ones who are following the J6 hearings, the ones who are rattled over abortion limitations, the ones who are disgusted over trump stealing classified documents, that will make the difference.

Pray that they are asleep, and you might just have a chance. They will not bother to get out and vote unless they are energized.

And stop with all the constant whining about how it’s not fair. It isn’t playing well.

Old 08-24-2022, 04:29 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
If you actually think people vote for democrats because they are asleep, then i am going to say you got it all wrong. They are paying attention and see it differently than you.
What is going on currently is waking up a lot of young people and others who would never really vote. Be more afraid of the population that is waking up than the population that is asleep.

It’s the newly awake voters, the ones who are following the J6 hearings, the ones who are rattled over abortion limitations, the ones who are disgusted over trump stealing classified documents, that will make the difference.

Pray that they are asleep, and you might just have a chance. They will not bother to get out and vote unless they are energized.

And stop with all the constant whining about how it’s not fair. It isn’t playing well.
Free speech zone and you won't shut me up.
Our system isn't working any longer, it's reached the point that it's all about buying votes now.

Happy Wednesday.

Old 08-24-2022, 04:33 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,251,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Free speech zone and you won't shut me up.

Happy Wednesday.
I’m not trying to shut you up.
How did you get that out of my post?

And you have a happy Wednesday too. And I truly mean it.
Have a great day and post as much as you want. I do read what you write.

Old 08-24-2022, 09:05 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,951,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
How about swing states changing their laws right before an election to allow for weeks of unsolicited, mass mail out ballots....not requiring signature verification and years of fighting against voter ID laws?

....."how convenient", indeed.
What happened to state's rights? Aren't states supposed to be allowed to run the election in the manner they see fit?

Old 08-25-2022, 10:07 AM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
What's disappointing is that you prefer to ignore the fact that over 100 police and other officers were injured by Trump's mob during January 6th. So injuring cops is OK, just so long as you don't kill them???
Links please, and those who chose to ignore Trump's words of marching peacefully their actions were on them and them alone not Trump nor the majority of protestors who were peaceful an incovenient fact for you lefties who like to paint with a broad brush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies