Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 07:24 AM

8,928 posts, read 2,959,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon3290 View Post
Desantis is Donald Trump but young, focused, articulate, and disciplined.

I can see why the liberals are already creating memes and sending out the attack dogs on him.

Old 08-22-2022, 09:16 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,703,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
DeSantis is great. The fact that libbies whine about him makes me like him all the more.
True. It is hard to take them seriously when they criticize anyone, considering that they voted for the train wreck of an administration that we currently have to deal with. Listening to leftists about who is a good/bad politician is like taking advice on romance from Taylor Swift.

Old 08-22-2022, 09:49 AM

10,809 posts, read 4,501,454 times
why should I change your mind? not only is he darth vader of earth, he is your FATHER to boot.

Old 08-22-2022, 10:24 AM

467 posts, read 777,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
DeSantis is great. The fact that libbies whine about him makes me like him all the more.
This is why republicanism isn't even in the same ballpark with conservatism anymore. Conservatism is an ideology and ideologies force people to support things they don't like, and supporting something a person doesn't like, is when the ideology becomes externally apparent. When the goal is liberal tears, that's where the inconsistency with conservatism becomes easily apparent, and is how you know that republicans are no longer conservatives. Don't feel too bad though, democrats aren't very liberal. Too bad you guys can't join forces in the "pretending to be something we're not" category, you'd be unstoppable.

Old 08-22-2022, 10:29 AM

19,797 posts, read 9,331,249 times
Well, I think one's opinion depends on how far left (or right) one is.

I personally think he is great except that I would like it if he was more pro-choice. So far, that is the only thing I don't like about him, that he is not just a little more liberal on abortion, meaning that he would recognize that sometimes, although rarely abortion is the actually the moral choice, even after the first trimester.

Old 08-22-2022, 10:51 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,096,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Well, I think one's opinion depends on how far left (or right) one is.

I personally think he is great except that I would like it if he was more pro-choice. So far, that is the only thing I don't like about him, that he is not just a little more liberal on abortion, meaning that he would recognize that sometimes, although rarely abortion is the actually the moral choice, even after the first trimester.
This is a helpful contribution to the discussion.

Rather than the “lib bashing” and “right wing skinhead racist redneck” rhetoric, it’s more INTERESTING to hear specific objections and/or endorsements…

As I initially mentioned, I’m curious as an outsider. All I’ve heard about DeSantis is regarding the Disney/sexuality in schools dispute and disputes over handling COVID… as a parent who read the notorious “don’t say gay bill” (where there is no mention of saying “gay”) I found it very reasonable as it aligns with child cognitive development at the ages outlined in the bill… it seems inappropriate to focus on sexuality at such a young age in my opinion as a parent. Kids will get curious when they get curious, and parents can parent through those explorations of identity in the first instances. As for COVID, it seems like Florida did quite well in terms of keeping life relatively “normal” for children sooner than a lot of states. Again from a parent perspective, as well as a former school teacher, the damage caused to childhood development through years-long lockdowns didn’t seem to outweigh concerns over the 80+ aging population. Elderly and those with concerns should have had the rights to address the concerns, without infringing the rights of all.

Anyway, interested to learn other perspectives for anything he has done, good or bad.

Old 08-22-2022, 11:02 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,978,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon3290 View Post
I don't live in Florida. But if I ever get New Jersey style taxes here in SC, it'll change my mind.

Old 08-22-2022, 11:27 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,164 times
I believe the biggest issue in our country may come down to class warfare. The rich really don't understand the struggles of the middle class and below.

As a moderate Dem, DeSantis appeals to me. He wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth like most of the politicians in power today. He grew up blue collar and went on to become highly educated. He sees both sides and what the issues are.

Here is some bio info and a link to an interview where he talks about "culture shock" when he attended Yale. (starts at 2 min mark) If you watch the whole interview, he doesn't come across negatively like the media is portraying him. He seems down to earth. No Darth Vader. LOL

He is certainly qualified as an educated leader as can be seen here. (Yale undergrad, Harvard Law school, Navy JAG officer, legal advisor to Seal Team One, awarded the Bronze Star for service in Iraq, federal prosecutor and served in congress for 6 years before becoming Gov of FL)

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/o...or/9442215007/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkT0PCIkcCA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies