Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 12:05 AM

3,113 posts, read 937,711 times

Advertisements

Finally they admit their response was terrible (though don't cover the extent of how terrible it was), and admit they will reform the agency, article here: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/...covid-response

Seems like most reforms will be around easy access to data from hospitals - so not really a reform insomuch as an expansion of CDC powers

Since this is the Biden administration, they threw in some mumbo jumbo about diversity and inclusion.

What would you like to see?

Personally, I don't think we need a CDC anymore, as diseases are not a significant factor in America anymore thanks to modern engineering.

But if we're to have them, I'd like to see more transparency and accountability and this can only start when they admit they lied about many things re COVID to push masks, lockdowns, and vaccines. Start with natural immunity - why did they push people with natural immunity to vaccinate? Why did they push pregnant women to vaccinate with no (or no good) data on vaccines in pregnancy? Why did they push vaccines on children, or even young adults for that matter when risk is low? Why the push for boosters when data was limited? All of these need explanations and not just politician style excuses.

Old 08-22-2022, 05:20 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,946,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
Finally they admit their response was terrible (though don't cover the extent of how terrible it was), and admit they will reform the agency, article here: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/...covid-response

Seems like most reforms will be around easy access to data from hospitals - so not really a reform insomuch as an expansion of CDC powers

Since this is the Biden administration, they threw in some mumbo jumbo about diversity and inclusion.

Personally, I don't think we need a CDC anymore, as diseases are not a significant factor in America anymore thanks to modern engineering.

But if we're to have them, I'd like to see more transparency and accountability and this can only start when they admit they lied about many things re COVID to push masks, lockdowns, and vaccines. Start with natural immunity - why did they push people with natural immunity to vaccinate? Why did they push pregnant women to vaccinate with no (or no good) data on vaccines in pregnancy? Why did they push vaccines on children, or even young adults for that matter when risk is low? Why the push for boosters when data was limited? All of these need explanations and not just politician style excuses.
"Personally, I don't think we need a CDC anymore, as diseases are not a significant factor in America anymore thanks to modern engineering."

So you think we don't need a CDC anymore. What about the NIH? What about the research arms of the major medical schools?

You seem to think modern medicine already knows everything about disease and how the human body responds to it. Without the childhood vaccinations that most people get, all the nasty diseases would come roaring back.

We just encountered a new virus (corona) that caused illness, long term disability and death, yet you seem to think research into those things are not needed anymore. Just let people die if their immune systems cannot fight it.

I would say you are being extremely short sighted.

Old 08-22-2022, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
"Personally, I don't think we need a CDC anymore, as diseases are not a significant factor in America anymore thanks to modern engineering."

So you think we don't need a CDC anymore. What about the NIH? What about the research arms of the major medical schools?

You seem to think modern medicine already knows everything about disease and how the human body responds to it. Without the childhood vaccinations that most people get, all the nasty diseases would come roaring back.

We just encountered a new virus (corona) that caused illness, long term disability and death, yet you seem to think research into those things are not needed anymore. Just let people die if their immune systems cannot fight it.

I would say you are being extremely short sighted.
The CDC is not responsible for creating vaccines, private corporations are or the NIAID. They’re responsible for regulating them as is the FDA.

I don’t believe COVID-19 was any kind of emergency, and if we just ignored it we’d have about the same outcome. Of course, I cannot say that for sure just my feeling based on countries that largely ignored it.

The CDC was created at a time we were losing children to disease- mostly TB. Ironically we don’t vaccinate our kids for TB but that disease largely disappeared on its own except in the most immunocompromised people.

Things we vaccinate for were never deadly or never widespread. But I won’t argue this.

The problem keeping the CDC around when it’s not needed is that it’s aware of its own insignificance. Hence it keeps hyping phony pandemics like the Swine Flu of 1977, Zika, Ebola, Swine Flu 2008, and many would argue COVID-19 and AIDS. They do it to stay relevant and secure funding

Old 08-22-2022, 06:22 AM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 2 days ago)

600 posts, read 273,788 times
Quote:
Largely agreed, except the part quoted. I think part of the problem was regular people thinking too highly of our science/medical capabilities. Yes, it's (mostly) as advanced as it's ever been, but there's still a long way to go. Any number of pre-C19 literature explained simply that coronviruses mutate beyond the current ability vaccinate.

Maybe somewhere in the MRNA shenanigans was a good-faith attempt to improve things, but the current institutions are too untrustworthy, and the profit motive seems too unrestrained. If anyone wants to volunteer for experiments under such conditions, good on them, but I'd prefer to wait and see.

Anyway, I'll be fine with or without a CDC. I'm resigned to eating healthy, exercise, and one of these days improving my sleep habits. If that isn't good enough, so be it (for the most part).

Old 08-22-2022, 06:26 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,275,010 times
There are still large numbers of people in other countries running around with masks on. Never underestimate the passivity of people and their unwillingness to question authority. The last 2 years have made me realize all of recorded history is a lie. History really is written by the victors. I mean, I had it figured out after 9/11 but there are so many more examples that cropped up since then, most of them the last 2 years.

You'll never see people in my area put a mask on for covid again. As for myself, I'll never take anything any media outlet says at face value that isn't simply "reporting news" ever again. Catching their biases is like any other skill... it just takes time, repetition, and noticing it's there. Same with outright misinformation and stories used as deflection.

Old 08-22-2022, 07:13 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,571,779 times
lol - I wore my mask to Walmart yesterday. I forgot my dentures and wearing the mask was easier than going back home to get my teeth.

Old 08-22-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
lol - I wore my mask to Walmart yesterday. I forgot my dentures and wearing the mask was easier than going back home to get my teeth.
Ok fair enough, you're free to wear a mask if you so choose.

For me, the prolonged mask (like on a 8+ hour flight) wearing causes the sniffles, as well as hurts my ears. In the grand scheme of things, this is small but the thing is COVID19 gave me no symptoms whatsoever - if I even caught it. But since I shared the bed with my COVID19+ partner 2 different times, I'd imagine the chance of me not having caught it is very low. So mask wearing is more of an inconvenience for me than COVID19.

Old 08-22-2022, 08:46 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times
Nice to admit this after all of the damage has been done.

Taxpayers spent a lot of money to get a self-admitted poor response.

In the real world they would be out of business.

In government, it's business as usual.

Old 08-22-2022, 08:50 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,984,816 times
This sounds more like your lack of knowledge than a failing on the part of the CDC. You ask a lot of questions, but have you done anything at all to find the answers other than to post here?

Old 08-22-2022, 08:52 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:

I would like to see a broad and diverse and inclusive termination of the people responsible over the last 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.