Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 09:43 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Bingo.

I'm half way between Dallas and Shreveport and we got 2 inches of rain yesterday. Was watching radar all day. The storm he's referring to barely made it out of Dallas before fading into the rest of the noise.

It's the end of the world, donchaknow. Quick - give up all your money, freedom and political power! There's no other way!
somehow on my Nextdoor feed was a post "popular on the forums" from Dallas where someone joked "OK, who do we thank for washing their car yesterday?" under the old joke about rain will come right after you take the time to wash your car. Lots of haha's and agreements and likes. Not one response about "you uncaring dolt we just had a 100 yr flood!!"

Old 08-23-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
East Dallas (for example) is approximately 1:200,00th of the US.

So, if you chopped up the US like that, there would be roughly 200 events of the 1 in 1000th variety EVERY YEAR.

It's especially humerous when we have thread after thread about the droughts and low river levels being global warming yet here is the prediction for more flooding.

There is just so much anti-science around this topic it's annoying.
maybe it's just "science of the moment".

Old 08-23-2022, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Something strange is going on with Lake Mead. The river below hoover dam is much higher then normal indicating lot's of water being released allowing the lake levels to drop. The lakes downstream from Lake Mead (Mojave and Havasu) are also very high. Normally I would say this is because of an increased demand for the hydroelectric power that Hoover dam produces but that isn't being mentioned. Only the climate change angle.
indeed. Some of the bodies of water are way up the last 2 weeks, and some continue to decline.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:52 AM

2,953 posts, read 993,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I think the point being that we have a high rate of drought right now in the country and when it has rained -- it has dumped a WHOLE season of rain in one or two days.

That's extreme and has adverse impact on the area.
No kidding? I'll repeat what I said earlier. That. Is. Texas. Our weather is extreme beyond just about anything else you'll see in the U.S. From extreme drought straight to flash flood is absolutely standard practice for mother nature here. Central Texas is known for being one of the most flash flood prone areas in the world. This has probably just now entered your consciousness because of a media that has a point to make rather than a story to tell but what you're hearing about is not outlandish or new to those of us who live here.

I've seen and been through several insta-flood nightmares that you'd probably call lies if I told you about them.

Old 08-23-2022, 10:13 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I think the point being that we have a high rate of drought right now in the country and when it has rained -- it has dumped a WHOLE season of rain in one or two days.

That's extreme and has adverse impact on the area.
Sure, but east dallas is 1/200,000th of the US by area.

You are going to have extreme events.

This would be like pointing to the number of large lottery jackpot winners in the US this year as proof that it is *abnormal*.

Old 08-23-2022, 10:17 AM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times
Five 1000 year floods in a year..Sounds like Woke math .. Really it's a 250 year floods ..Dooms day reporting .

Old 08-23-2022, 10:19 AM

43,097 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Is "climate change" only hanging over the US where we have to "act now" to save the planet ?

Old 08-23-2022, 10:20 AM

962 posts, read 541,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Five 1000 year floods in a year..Sounds like Woke math .. Really it's a 250 year floods ..Dooms day reporting .
5 floods in a year when it's supposed to be 1 flood every 250 years still sounds bad....

Old 08-23-2022, 10:23 AM

43,097 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
No kidding? I'll repeat what I said earlier. That. Is. Texas. Our weather is extreme beyond just about anything else you'll see in the U.S. From extreme drought straight to flash flood is absolutely standard practice for mother nature here. Central Texas is known for being one of the most flash flood prone areas in the world. This has probably just now entered your consciousness because of a media that has a point to make rather than a story to tell but what you're hearing about is not outlandish or new to those of us who live here.

I've seen and been through several insta-flood nightmares that you'd probably call lies if I told you about them.
I lived in Texas and worked in Austin for 25 years..saw much extreme weather as well.
On clay soil it is eye opening to see water going that high so quick...Brushy Creek, Gilleland Creek, Shoal Creek.

Old 08-23-2022, 10:30 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
5 floods in a year when it's supposed to be 1 flood every 250 years still sounds bad....
5 floods in one year in 5 places ain't really out of the usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies