Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 06:09 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times

Advertisements

Bible states in the last days that natural disasters will increase and many signs and wonders and rumors of wars. It will be a very trying time for many people. Just a few things that will happen and has happened... good is considered bad and bad is considered good.

Old 08-28-2022, 06:16 PM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
US has seen five 1 in 1000 year rain events in the last 27 days......

...meanwhile, the rest of the country had absolutely gorgeous weather

Old 08-28-2022, 06:21 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What "1000 year storm" really means:

https://www.climate.gov/news-feature...%20each%20year.

Just for a comparison, where I grew up in NWPA had two (2) 10,000 year floods six months apart in 1996. One was caused by rapid snow melt and ice dams on the various rivers and creek while the other was from a storm.
Thank you. As soon as I saw this thread I knew it would contain non scientific arguments from the science is settled how dare you alarmists.

I thought it was funny that a local radio talk show detailed how alarmists claimed individually that regions of five different continents were "warming much faster than the rest of the world".
Ive lived very near the beach in san diego for decades, near a large park, a motel, and the river that drains theough 2 jetties to the ocean. A neighbor recently showed me an aerial photo taken in 1927 of this exact area, the motels property and the boundaries of the patk had actually changed little and it was easy to see that the idea that sea levels had risen in the last century was absurd..
That park also sirs on the site of Wonderland, which was the largest amusement park on the west coast for a few years until it was wiped out by the tides and storms way back around 1917. It had roller coasters, water slides, an enormous dance hall, and a petting zoo which included 500 monkeys.
The site has not seen a storm or tides of that magnitude in the 105 years since. What we have seen is decreased rainfall but every 20 years or do El Nino unleashes natures fury and believe it or not, the largest amount of rainfall in the history of california or the US (cant recall) in 24 hours ocurred in the 90s in Campo CA, a tiny town less than an hour from downtown san diego. Close to 30 inches I think but the weather station was destroyed in the storm after that point and they said it may have been more.

Last edited by phinneas j. whoopee; 08-28-2022 at 06:37 PM..

Old 08-28-2022, 08:03 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Not 1000 year events but certainly catastrophic within a week of each other.
The only thing certain is that is awful abuse of math and science.

Old 08-28-2022, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Bible states in the last days that natural disasters will increase and many signs and wonders and rumors of wars. It will be a very trying time for many people. Just a few things that will happen and has happened... good is considered bad and bad is considered good.
Did you stop reading that book before you got to the part about not knowing when the end would be coming?

Old 08-29-2022, 05:21 AM

57,291 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
US has seen five 1 in 1000 year rain events in the last 27 days......

...meanwhile, the rest of the country had absolutely gorgeous weather
Just another anecdote with 1,000 killed in Pakistan flooding, an event here and there and eventually people might be able to the impact of a warming planet.

Quote:
(CNN)Severe rains and flooding have killed at least 1,033 people, including 348 children, and left 1,527 more injured in Pakistan since mid-June, officials said on Sunday.

The country's National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) added that 119 people had died and 71 injured in the last 24 hours alone.
'''''''''''''''''''
On Friday, Pakistan's Prime Minister Sharif briefed international diplomats on the crisis, stating that his country -- on the front line of climate change despite a relatively small carbon footprint -- must focus its rehabilitation toward greater climate change resilience.
Minister for Planning and Development Ahsan Iqbal separately told Reuters that 30 million people had been affected, a figure that would represent about 15% of the South Asian country's population.
UN agency Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said in an update on Thursday that the monsoon rains had affected some 3 million people in Pakistan, of whom 184,000 have been displaced to relief camps across the country.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/28/asia/...ntl/index.html

Old 08-29-2022, 05:23 AM

57,291 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The only thing certain is that is awful abuse of math and science.
So how many events would you need to see before you would admit that some of these events are a result of a warming planet?

There is no exact metric for climate change but we can certainly see the result.

Old 08-29-2022, 05:55 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
So how many events would you need to see before you would admit that some of these events are a result of a warming planet?

There is no exact metric for climate change but we can certainly see the result.
Planet is warming. Check.

Now - tell us how we can fix the weather.

Do you want to take away my car?

I'm waiting for your answer.

Old 08-29-2022, 06:28 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
"Earth has experienced cold periods (or “ice ages”) and warm periods (“interglacials”) on roughly 100,000-year cycles for at least the last 1 million years. The last of these ices ended around 20,000 years ago. Over the course of these cycles, global average temperatures warmed or cooled anywhere from 3° to perhaps as much as 8° Celsius (5°-15° Fahrenheit).

https://www.climate.gov/news-feature...ughout-history

Old 08-29-2022, 07:19 AM

Quote:

That's like saying there is going to be a pie making competition and that I have to use dog poop as my main ingredient.

The entire approach of anecdotal weather events is like that, it's just a failed starting position.

Ever wonder why the actual scientists that do climate change work don't take that approach but instead use scientific methods?
The only people you see pointing to weather events are politicians and random people on the internet.

P.S. Your first sentence assumes I don't accept that there is warming where I believe I acknowledged that earlier in the thread.

Your second sentence is wrong it that there is a measure for average warming and then change is logically resultant from that.

Last edited by Mathguy; 08-29-2022 at 07:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies