Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2022, 08:44 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post

Why not help the next generation get on their feet so they are ready to step in and take over when their time comes? Why is this so horrible?

Well, at least they'll know first hand how the gimme process works, won't they?

Old 08-28-2022, 08:53 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Biden has now pledged something that he cannot do alone but the Left Loves it and the recipients of this windfall are excited over the prospect of free money.

Why does this student debt scheme sound like the pledge of Reparations? The Dems have been using the promise of Reparations to string along the Black vote and I think they are going to do the same with this student loan payoff scheme. The promise of it will string along young people and lead to more votes.

We should call this program what it is.

Cash for Flunkers.

Old 08-28-2022, 08:53 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
So here’s what you are saying.

Republican plans to give free handouts to business owners are ok.

Democrats plan to give a little bit of help to regular working people is not.

Please explain why? Also do not argue “people chose to take out student loans it’s their responsibility”. Businesses can file bankruptcy to get out of their obligations, student loan borrowers can not. So why is only one group subject to responsibility? I have had employers short me about over 10k in the past 3 years, but they can also withhold recommendations or give me a bad one so it makes it hard to fight, especially with legal fees. Business owners can be just as irresponsible as college students, so why are the loan standards different?
It is not just the Republicans, it is the Democrats. Both parties borrowed TRILLIONS of dollars during the last several relief packages and most of it is just gone. No one knows where it went. You have to like the one where the Congress gave something like 1.5 trillion dollars from the broke Federal government to thousands of state, county and local governments - most of them in better financial shape then the Federal government! Of course, no one really knows what these thousands of governments did what the money.

That is why I changed my tune on the student loans. Hundreds of billions, trillions even, given to states and local governments, to businessmen, to corporations, etc. but not a dime to the middle-class college students despite the promises of Biden, Schumer, Sanders and Warren.

Old 08-28-2022, 08:54 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I've not heard that accusation. The problem is that it is subsidizing a random subset of people. What about the person that takes out a $20,000 loan to begin a landscaping business? What about those who join the armed forces, in part to avoid taking on debt? What about those who scrimped and saved to pay off the student loans they agreed to pay? This is a terrible policy decision. It also creates a moral hazard for both borrowers and colleges.

We are all stuck paying for crap in taxes we shouldn't be, I never had kids, why am I paying a school tax my entire life? Why is my responsibility to pay for your kids school? I don't care about their education.. That is their Parent's responbility. Not mine? Why am I paying to the military industrial complex? I dont support the the military and their neverending "military objective " which have netted ZERO value in my life over the last 20 years and neither most America. (Just oil and military equipment makers) just senseless deaths for thousands that didn't have to be. All that were needed were drones. Not boots on the ground

Old 08-28-2022, 08:57 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I've not heard that accusation. The problem is that it is subsidizing a random subset of people. What about the person that takes out a $20,000 loan to begin a landscaping business? What about those who join the armed forces, in part to avoid taking on debt? What about those who scrimped and saved to pay off the student loans they agreed to pay? This is a terrible policy decision. It also creates a moral hazard for both borrowers and colleges.
If that guy takes out a loan to start his business and his business fails and he can't pay the loan back he can file for bankruptcy and the loan goes away. Just about any other kind of loan you take out can be discharged through bankruptcy--except student loans. Those can never be discharged. We keep students on the hook for forever when we provide an out for everyone else who might be struggling under debt.

Old 08-28-2022, 09:13 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You're falling for the MSM talking points. The PPP program was designed by the legislative branch to offer loans that would be forgiven if certain conditions were met. As long as those conditions are met, then having the loan partially or fully forgiven is the rule, not the exception. It's being spun as if having the loans forgiven is somehow immoral or illegal when that was the entire point of the program. The PPP program isn't even relevant to the conversation on Student Loan forgiveness. The only commonality between the two is that they both use taxpayer money. Other than that, they are as different as different can be.
You are the one arguing the false premise.

Green and others made the point that the loans shouldnt be forgiven, fullstop, because if those people needed that money then they should be willing to pay it back.

that indeed means it includes the concept of PPP loans. but nice try.

Old 08-28-2022, 09:15 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Biden has now pledged something that he cannot do alone but the Left Loves it and the recipients of this windfall are excited over the prospect of free money.

Why does this student debt scheme sound like the pledge of Reparations? The Dems have been using the promise of Reparations to string along the Black vote and I think they are going to do the same with this student loan payoff scheme. The promise of it will string along young people and lead to more votes.

We should call this program what it is.

Cash for Flunkers.
Both sides make promises to their constituent groups. Why are you angry at Dems ? Why even bring race into this ?

Old 08-28-2022, 09:34 AM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Why is it that all these current ultra radical right wingnut boobs act like only Democrat college students are benefiting from the loan aid, do they believe there are no republican college students because they're not smart enough for college?
Where are the posts singling out Democrat college students only ?

This bill is ****, and a slap in the face to anyone that has accrued debt and paid it off.

And, my angst extends to PPP loan fraud/forgiveness, along with subsidies to banks and corporations. Which are all separate issues.

It shouldn't matter what side of the isle you are on, we should all be pissed. It's clear that the one's defending, deflecting, and being partisan about it are just stuck in their own tribal echo chamber. An that type of mentality is only going to help further destroy this country.

Old 08-28-2022, 09:46 AM

6,379 posts, read 2,705,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
That is why I changed my tune on the student loans. Hundreds of billions, trillions even, given to states and local governments, to businessmen, to corporations, etc. but not a dime to the middle-class college students despite the promises of Biden, Schumer, Sanders and Warren.
Not a dime to the middle-class college students? What do you consider the extended Unemployment Benefits? This was basically free money to anyone, which yes includes middle-class college students, who just said that their unemployment is COVID related. They didn't even need to really show any proof they were actively looking for a job. They just had to sit and wait for check after check to arrive. What about the "Stimulus" payments that were sent out?

But where is the help to the Middle-Class now that has to deal with an average by some estimates of an additional $7,000/year in basic expenses for a family due to "Bidenflation" because of all of the money they are pumping into the economy?

Many of the people "struggling" with Student loan debt were struggling before COVID. COVID just became a convenient excuse. College Students also often struggle with housing and transportation. So if Biden, Schumer, Sanders, and Warren promised a free house and car for every College Graduate you'd be okay with that as well because heck it's better for them than the government?

How about the Government be more responsible and not just send out Trillions of dollars in "aid" that disappears?

Old 08-28-2022, 09:53 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
So here’s what you are saying.

Republican plans to give free handouts to business owners are ok.

Democrats plan to give a little bit of help to regular working people is not.

Please explain why? Also do not argue “people chose to take out student loans it’s their responsibility”. Businesses can file bankruptcy to get out of their obligations, student loan borrowers can not. So why is only one group subject to responsibility? I have had employers short me about over 10k in the past 3 years, but they can also withhold recommendations or give me a bad one so it makes it hard to fight, especially with legal fees. Business owners can be just as irresponsible as college students, so why are the loan standards different?
actually both are not ok

who wrote and sponsored the PPP.... the democrats
who's idea was the PPP...the democrats
who the following year extended and added the forgiveness to the PPP...the democrats

what did the republicans say about the PPP....it should be means tested...and it could cause inflation

both of these plans..one which you bash, and one which you praise are from the democrats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies