Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 01:34 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,835,754 times

Advertisements

In today's New York Times, the subject of increased traffic fatalities among low-income Americans has been explored.

Quote: More than 115 Americans have been dying on the roads on average every day this year.

Some of the findings:

*More likely to drive an older, less safe car.
*More likely to drive as a part of work.
*More likely to be driving distracted (cell phones).
*More likely to be impaired.
*More likely to not wear seatbelts.
*More impulsive behavior (ex. running red lights).
*More likely to live near a high-speed roadway.
*OTOH, low-income people are more likely to use public transportation.

Reasons are not clear-cut. Somewhat of a head-scratcher.

https://messaging-custom-newsletters...8e02492bad66bf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 01:37 PM

10,483 posts, read 7,014,991 times
Is an 18 year old low-income? I'd assume younger people get in more accidents, and most young people i'd consider low-income.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:39 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Follow the patterns of bad choices, bad behavior and irresponsibility. Should line up neatly with the pattern of traffic fatalities.

/topic

Old 08-23-2022, 01:44 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,863,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Is an 18 year old low-income? I'd assume younger people get in more accidents, and most young people i'd consider low-income.
And older people. I grew up near St. Petersburg, FL ("The home of the newly wed and the nearly dead"), and believe me, old people are horrible drivers. Imagine Joe Biden trying to ride a bike, and well, you get the idea.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:47 PM

7,370 posts, read 3,829,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Follow the patterns of bad choices, bad behavior and irresponsibility. Should line up neatly with the pattern of traffic fatalities.

/topic
Sad but true.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Sad but true.
Outside of the random strokes of bad luck that do indeed happen, not unlike bolts of lightning striking randomly, the vast majority of traffic accidents are caused because two bad drivers meet up at the same place.

I call it "expecting other people to do your paying attention for you." When two of those kind of people come in contact, neither is paying attention, and boom - traffic accident.

If you are someone who drives a car irresponsibly chances are really good other areas of your life suffer from similar irresponsibility. I guarantee if you overlay any irresponsible behavior graph that is broken down by race, age, gender, income, it will mirror the graph of people hurt/killed in auto accidents. Might not be a perfect overlay, but I'd wager dimes to donuts that the trendlines are similar and probably very close.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:56 PM

11,502 posts, read 6,016,021 times
I find that most low income people have low education levels. It might be a chicken and egg thing, which came first but whatever the underlying cause, peolpe with low education levels are more likely to die from all kinds of things because they are either ignorant or careless.

A couple of examples.

10% of all college graduates smoke. 40% of all people with a GED but not an actual high school diploma, smoke.

College graduates are almost 3 times more likely to wear seat belts driving than people with a GED.

As John Wayne aptly put it, "Life is tough, but it is a lot tougher if you are stupid." John Wayne had 2 years of college.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
As John Wayne aptly put it, "Life is hard. It is harder when you are stupid."
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Vernon Wormer

Old 08-23-2022, 02:13 PM

7,370 posts, read 3,829,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I find that most low income people have low education levels. It might be a chicken and egg thing, which came first but whatever the underlying cause, peolpe with low education levels are more likely to die from all kinds of things because they are either ignorant or careless.

A couple of examples.

10% of all college graduates smoke. 40% of all people with a GED but not an actual high school diploma, smoke.

College graduates are almost 3 times more likely to wear seat belts driving than people with a GED.

As John Wayne aptly put it, "Life is tough, but it is a lot tougher if you are stupid." John Wayne had 2 years of college.
It's not formal education, it's how you were raised and the values instilled by your parents.

In 1850, 55% of white Americans aged 5-19 were enrolled in school. That number didn't increase until 1900. Today, it's around 90%.

With such an uneducated population, how did we survive?

One could argue more people were on the farm back then, but that's not the issue. Why were there not massive crime waves back then?

It's because single moms were rare, and especially, single moms by choice. It's because of good, conservative and religious family values. It's because no one wanted to shame their family.

None of that has anything to do with formal education.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:23 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,835,754 times
On a regular morning basis, I share the road from Kapalua to Lahaina with a late-model grey Audi station wagon. In this case, unlikely to be low-income. The driver is all over the road, crossing the yellow lines and swerving into the right-hand lane, sometimes even into the bike lane. I haven't been able to see the driver clearly, but I see a small hand furiously working a cell phone, so I assume it's a woman.

I can't believe the incredible luck she has had, so far. Undoubtedly, an accident is on the horizon. Once she wandered over into my lane so close that we almost traded paint. I honked and she swerved back. Now I avoid being near her by dropping back. Drunk drivers exhibit more skill!

What kind of business on a phone is so important that it can't wait until your destination? It seems like there are more drivers on phones than drivers NOT on phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies