Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 02:30 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
If you are someone who drives a car irresponsibly chances are really good other areas of your life suffer from similar irresponsibility. I guarantee if you overlay any irresponsible behavior graph that is broken down by race, age, gender, income, it will mirror the graph of people hurt/killed in auto accidents. Might not be a perfect overlay, but I'd wager dimes to donuts that the trendlines are similar and probably very close.
This makes sense. I wonder if the authors of this study did any kind of overlay that compared other areas of the victim's lives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 03:37 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,251,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
In today's New York Times, the subject of increased traffic fatalities among low-income Americans has been explored.

Quote: More than 115 Americans have been dying on the roads on average every day this year.

Some of the findings:

*More likely to drive an older, less safe car.
*More likely to drive as a part of work.
*More likely to be driving distracted (cell phones).
*More likely to be impaired.
*More likely to not wear seatbelts.
*More impulsive behavior (ex. running red lights).
*More likely to live near a high-speed roadway.
*OTOH, low-income people are more likely to use public transportation.

Reasons are not clear-cut. Somewhat of a head-scratcher.

https://messaging-custom-newsletters...8e02492bad66bf
All of it makes sense, and it's probably racist in some way for the insurance companies to charge more to low income drivers.

Old 08-23-2022, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
All of it makes sense, and it's probably racist in some way for the insurance companies to charge more to low income drivers.
I doubt if insurance companies could get away with charging them more in today's hostile climate. More likely they get charged less!

Old 08-23-2022, 06:53 PM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Total rubbish. More agenda driven garbage.
About the only truth would maybe be the older beat up hoopty, but other than that all the other things listed pertain to ALL drivers.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:17 PM

3,234 posts, read 3,187,851 times
This was the email I got from the NYT in my morning digest edition:

“Good morning. A surge in vehicle crashes is disproportionately harming lower-income families and Black Americans.â€

I really thought the article was going to say that cars are racist.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:17 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,931 times
is there any condition that low income Americans aren't more likely to die from, except old age or maybe from a trans-ocean airplane crash?

Old 08-23-2022, 07:20 PM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
is there any condition that low income Americans aren't more likely to die from, except old age or maybe from a trans-ocean airplane crash?
Boredom?

Old 08-23-2022, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
Falling off of their yachts? Wing suiting?

Old 08-23-2022, 07:40 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,278,566 times
I admit I and others in my area have started to break traffic laws...namely those left turn red lights that keep you from making a left...those intersections used to have blinking yellows...making me waste my time at a light....go pound sand. they also don't stay green long enough to let all the cars through during rush hour... More and more running them...monkey see, monkey do combined with lax enforcement of rules....people in charge aren't willing to make examples of people anymore so gradually we are seeing more bending and breaking of rules. Also happening in the workplaces out here. Fascinating look into our nature... When we think there are no serious consequences for actions we tend to break rules.

There's also more silly micromanagement in society today...stop wasting my time and let me make a left turn.

In blue cities where you can steal cars and get a slap on the wrist you think they care about running lights or speeding? Laws are only good if enforced.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:42 PM

30,141 posts, read 11,770,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
In today's New York Times, the subject of increased traffic fatalities among low-income Americans has been explored.

Quote: More than 115 Americans have been dying on the roads on average every day this year.

Some of the findings:

*More likely to drive an older, less safe car.
*More likely to drive as a part of work.
*More likely to be driving distracted (cell phones).
*More likely to be impaired.
*More likely to not wear seatbelts.
*More impulsive behavior (ex. running red lights).
*More likely to live near a high-speed roadway.
*OTOH, low-income people are more likely to use public transportation.

Reasons are not clear-cut. Somewhat of a head-scratcher.

https://messaging-custom-newsletters...8e02492bad66bf

They are low income because they have made many poor decisions in their lives. Not surprising that causing traffic fatalities is a part of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies