Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 09:41 AM

1,693 posts, read 609,852 times

Advertisements

At least the article offered some practical solutions like enforcing speed limit, drunk driving and seatbelt laws. Imagine that, enforcing laws actually helps keep people safer. Doubtful the progressives will be able to get their mind around that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 11:35 AM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
In today's New York Times, the subject of increased traffic fatalities among low-income Americans has been explored.

Quote: More than 115 Americans have been dying on the roads on average every day this year.

Some of the findings:

*More likely to drive an older, less safe car.
*More likely to drive as a part of work.
*More likely to be driving distracted (cell phones).
*More likely to be impaired.
*More likely to not wear seatbelts.
*More impulsive behavior (ex. running red lights).
*More likely to live near a high-speed roadway.
*OTOH, low-income people are more likely to use public transportation.

Reasons are not clear-cut. Somewhat of a head-scratcher.

https://messaging-custom-newsletters...8e02492bad66bf
One thing I've learned about low income areas, having travelled to some of them: Roads tend to be worse in those areas than anywhere else in most cities. More potholes, more unsafe conditions on those roads. Alot of money allocated to the more middle class parts of town when it comes to fixing roads.

Old 08-24-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The main drivers of fatalities often tend to be:

1) Drugs\booze.
2) High speed
3) Terrain (don't hit trees or go down into chasms etc.
4) Distance from medical help.

It's much harder to get in a fatal accident in some parts of the country even though getting in an accident is more frequent.

Per capita, once you get into rural america where they have to drive to another town for a party etc. and the roads are fast and good medical help is over an hour after the accident is where you are screwed.

Crashing at 30mph in a major city isn't going to create fatalities that often.

Nothing to do with politics and the data is irrefutable in it's scope and magnitude.
That is part of it. There are also other things to consider. I notice that the worst road conditions are found in low income areas. Many accidents happen because of the conditions of the roads themselves.

And then the cars themselves. I've noticed that among some low income individuals who have cars, they are more likely to drive said car when it's not in the best of shape. Said car might have brake problems or other issues that render a car unsafe. However, some people will drive said cars because it costs money to get said car fixed.

Old 08-24-2022, 11:42 AM

21,915 posts, read 9,486,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
One thing I've learned about low income areas, having travelled to some of them: Roads tend to be worse in those areas than anywhere else in most cities. More potholes, more unsafe conditions on those roads. Alot of money allocated to the more middle class parts of town when it comes to fixing roads.
That's nonsense. The roads where I lived in Illinois were horrible. I lived in a more affluent area.

Old 08-24-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
That's nonsense. The roads where I lived in Illinois were horrible. I lived in a more affluent area.
I never said they weren't bad in affluent areas. I am saying they are even worse in poorer areas.

Old 08-24-2022, 11:56 AM

17,779 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It is interesting that you are the first one to bring this up. It was the first thing I thought of.

Many of the usual suspects went straight to the "poor people are this that and the other" in this thread. But the fact of the matter is that as you stated, the traffic hazards are way worse in their part of town. One of the things I've always noted is the blind turns around the old buildings that are set too close to the road. There are never any middle turn lanes. Way more parallel parking. Way more old fashioned traffic lights. Throw in the fact that populations are denser in low income areas and you have a recipe for more accidents.

Old 08-24-2022, 12:05 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Is an 18 year old low-income? I'd assume younger people get in more accidents, and most young people i'd consider low-income.
That was my first thought, low income often correlates with younger people. Also, add to that illegal aliens driving without a license!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I find that most low income people have low education levels. It might be a chicken and egg thing, which came first but whatever the underlying cause, peolpe with low education levels are more likely to die from all kinds of things because they are either ignorant or careless.

A couple of examples.

10% of all college graduates smoke. 40% of all people with a GED but not an actual high school diploma, smoke.

College graduates are almost 3 times more likely to wear seat belts driving than people with a GED.

As John Wayne aptly put it, "Life is tough, but it is a lot tougher if you are stupid." John Wayne had 2 years of college.
Well, what you find is not necessarily true. Low income in one area is not low income in another area for one thing. And, many people that are educated choose or don't have a choice in taking a lower income job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
All of it makes sense, and it's probably racist in some way for the insurance companies to charge more to low income drivers.
Those that get in accidents despite their education, end up paying more for insurance. Also, education doesn't make one a better driver, and it doesn't make someone smart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Total rubbish. More agenda driven garbage.
About the only truth would maybe be the older beat up hoopty, but other than that all the other things listed pertain to ALL drivers.
Exactly! I have noticed a continued attack on lower income people, those that were out working during the plandemic in order that others would have goods and services!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
is there any condition that low income Americans aren't more likely to die from, except old age or maybe from a trans-ocean airplane crash?
That doesn't play out in reality. Ever see the kinds of places those 100 year olds come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
They are low income because they have made many poor decisions in their lives. Not surprising that causing traffic fatalities is a part of that.
No, they are low income because incomes are lower where they live, especially in rural areas. Or, they are low income, because those riding around in new cars are part of a business that under pays their workers, so that we, the taxpayers, end up subsidizing them.

Again, illegal aliens tend to have about no education, and are low income. We have billions of them in the country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
People who live life very risky normally don’t have much money. People who live life more risk adverse have more money and don’t get into as many accidents.
No people with more money engage in the same behaviors, just have more money to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
The obvious solution is for them to buy Tesla's they are much safer....
Or, give them all $10,000 to go to the vo-tech, as many of those we are praising here for the educations and incomes will be getting loan forgiveness that we, the taxpayers, will pay for.

Tesla out in the rural areas with snow, dirt roads, miles before one can charge..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I see plenty of better off people who drive like morons. Many of them act like they're afraid to move their cars. They are constantly riding their brakes, they go about 2 mph when turning a corner as if it was their first time turning the steering wheel, plenty of them are on their phone paying no attention to the road, they pull out right in front of you because they don't have any depth perception, or think they need to be first but go 10-15 mph slower than the limit, and there's the control freaks and wanna be cops.

All of this happens unless.....

...they are in a parking lot. They fly around parking lots like they're on a freeway. Then, they find a spot to park and take 30 minutes to get in the spot.

Blaming poor people for accidents, is stupid. Dumb, unskilled drivers come from all age groups and all classes.
I couldn't rep you again this soon, so wanted to quote you as you got it! I guess we have went from attacking gays, transgenders, blacks and women to low income/poor people now. I guess they have to have someone to attack to feel better about themselves.

***Upon edit: I forgot to add seniors as often being a target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
Low Income Americans More Likely to Die in Traffic Accidents

^This is a no brainer. Low income Americans are more likely to die PERIOD.

Drugs. Crime. Disease. At the workplace. Domestic disputes. etc etc etc
Question? Aren't there more lower income Americans (plus illegal aliens and refugees not familiar with autos) then others in the USA, and the number going into poverty continues, and I think most of those that sat home during the plandemic were your higher income and more educated.

***Has anyone taken into account that the low income workers were on the job, while the others worked from home or did not work at all?********************************************** ***********

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Yet statistical evidence, unlike your anecdotes, prove them to be more likely to get into accidents due to risky behaviors.
The statistics, in this case, are garbage statistics. A lot of those people on the job for the plandemic were pulling double+ shifts, you know, those that kept the country going! They were on the road, while others sat at home listening to propaganda about COVID and the vaccines!

Younger people have the riskiest behaviors. I know that when school was out, they were all in town cruising around up into the late hours. And, with all their free time, those that drink alcohol had plenty of time to drink away. Liquor stores were open as a "need" thing!

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 08-24-2022 at 01:03 PM..

Old 08-24-2022, 12:11 PM

984 posts, read 441,659 times
I'd say it's largely a combination of the poor driving crappy cars, them skewing young and elderly, and needing to work lots of extra hours/shift work/overnight shifts. The "low-income" part is relevant due to the lifestyle and risk factors that go along with that.

Old 08-24-2022, 12:26 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
https://dying.lovetoknow.com/death-c...ash-real-facts

"Statistics on dying in a car crash are based on averages, not on specific scenarios. As with any mathematical odds, you must consider how often you drive, your occupation, and the average distance you drive for the chances of dying in a car crash. Your driving history, whether you wear a seatbelt, your alcohol consumption, the traffic and weather conditions where you live, and other details are also important. All of these factors can play an important role in your odds of being in a car crash as well as your odds of dying in one."

https://www.idrivesafely.com/defensi...ent-fatalities

The single biggest cause of fatal car accidents is distracted driving. This is especially true for drivers between 15 and 20 years old."

Low income in NY Metro area:

https://www.6sqft.com/a-salary-of-58...Housing%20(HUD).

"A salary of $58,450 or less annually is now considered low income in the New York Metro Area"

In KS: $38,350.

Do the statistics look that deep though? One would need to look at individual cities even within the same state. Yeah, you either do it right, or you don't bother.

I studied college level "Probability and Statistics", and come from a low income family that didn't have one darn accident, and that includes my extended family, neighbors and all the people I know today with low incomes!

Who will your news source single out next in the name of "divide and conquer"? Give it a rest!

Old 08-24-2022, 12:31 PM

13,946 posts, read 5,618,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Do the statistics look that deep though? One would need to look at individual cities even within the same state. Yeah, you either do it right, or you don't bother.
The auto insurers go deeper. Zip code, apartment vs house, street vs reserved parking spot vs indoor parking vs garage, median income of zip code, traffic accidents in that zip code, auto theft/vandalism within that zip code, rent vs mortgage, average in zip code of rentals vs mortgages, age demographic of neighborhood, etc etc.

Any actuary who sets rates and relativities for an auto insurer could give you a house by house statistical likelihood for traffic accident, theft, vandalism, etc for damn near any licensed driver in America.

Data doesn't lie, neither do actuarial tables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies