Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 06:03 PM

11,134 posts, read 5,763,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
So, lots of gas or diesel cars will be bought and sold in Calif long after this silly ban goes into effect, if it does.
Define "long after". All it takes is a new law to ban all gas powered cars. Just because THIS law does not do so, does not mean California won't pass such a law in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 06:11 PM

1,173 posts, read 547,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
For those of you who are against any sort of electric vehicles, you do realize that this has happened many times through history, right?

1. Engines replacing horse and buggies
2. Printing presses replacing scribes
3. Robots replacing factory workers
4. Diesel and electric trains replacing steam locomotives

I would imagine that within 20yr, the majority of passenger vehicles will be electric. As technology catches up, electric vehicles will become cheaper and become more efficient.

Think about cell phones from 20yr ago compared to today's phones.
Yes we all realize this. Technological progress can’t be stopped. But you do realize that there is blood and treasure waiting for the crooks that champion this. They (politicians) give two $#it’s about climate , they only see dollar signs and control at the end of this road.

Old 08-24-2022, 06:16 PM

21,426 posts, read 10,507,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Well they can spend their $95 billion surplus on charging stations, I suppose.
Got to fix the grid first. They can’t generate enough electricity during a heat wave, much less this.

Old 08-24-2022, 06:18 PM

21,426 posts, read 10,507,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Where's all the electricity going to come from? There isn't enough electricity to go around now.
Sunshine and cool breezes.

Old 08-24-2022, 06:28 PM

11,134 posts, read 5,763,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
gonna have to build nuke plants grant.
I thought California was shutting down all nuclear power plants. There is only one operating and it is going to be decomissioned.

Old 08-24-2022, 06:34 PM

6,701 posts, read 9,259,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I can't wait until electric cars and trucks are as practical as gasoline powered cars, but the government should not put a gun to our heads and make us buy the current crop of impractical and high priced EVs. We probably need a revolution in battery technology as well. A world full of used lithium batteries sounds physically and environmentally dangerous to me.

There is a lot I like about EVs. Boat loads of torque. Less moving parts. Far less maintenance. Quiet. No energy consumption when stopped. I am looking forward to when they finally become as practical as gas powered vehicles. They are not even close to that yet.
Yep, that’s what I resent about this. I’m not an EV “hater” but I don’t like that at some point, I’m going to more or less be forced to buy one even if they aren’t ready for prime time, because some Democrat decided that it would be a good idea to eliminate all of my other choices because climate change. Unfortunately, California has a strong influence on the rest of the country, since it’s a large market.

Old 08-24-2022, 06:43 PM

18,673 posts, read 7,542,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Is the ban on ALL gasoline or diesel powered cars? Or just NEW ones?

I can't access the article linked in the OP without signing up somehow and getting an account with the NYT, so couldn't read the article.

But Google said that the article contained this language (emphasis mine):

So, lots of gas or diesel cars will be bought and sold in Calif long after this silly ban goes into effect, if it does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
They are pretty much banned if you cannot register your vehicle.
Does the article mention anything about refusing to register certain vehicles (gas, diesel etc.) by any particular date?

Old 08-24-2022, 06:53 PM

9,702 posts, read 4,533,507 times
And this progressive virtue signaling from the governor or legislature?

Old 08-24-2022, 07:11 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,431,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrizzlinDizzlin View Post
Well

These people love what the right has to say. And the GOP is their vessel.

ok and... just because the right has some idiots that want to follow leftist ideology, doesn't change the fact that fascism is leftist...its a marxist idea

Old 08-24-2022, 07:15 PM

8,293 posts, read 3,783,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Excellent news for China. So much market share in the battery mineral mining industry. Great news for any foreign supplier of fossil fuels that are needed to produce the batteries for electric vehicles. it’s going to be a windfall for them once the rest of the country gets on the bandwagon.
Unlikely to be sustained. Batteries use lesser and lesser rare minerals and will continue to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies