Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Did/Do You Support?
I support student loan forgiveness 29 20.57%
I support the PPP loan foregiveness 5 3.55%
I support neither 97 68.79%
I would like a different approach to student loans 10 7.09%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 04:31 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times

Advertisements

Well it looks like The White House has had enough. They are tweeting every GOP Congressman's PPP loan that was forgiven in response to their complaints about $10K student loans forgiven. Those loans look pretty tiny by comparison to the PPP loans forgiven.

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/statu...16200866267138

So why did so many in Congress get massive PPP loans in the first place? And why were they allowed to be forgiven?

GOP Congressman Vern Buchanan had $2.3M forgiven?
Marjorie Taylore Green had $183,504 forgiven?
Mark Mullin had $1.4M forgiven?
Kevin Hern had $1M forgiven?
Matt Gaetz had $482K forgiven?
Mike Kelly had $987K forgiven?

Old 08-25-2022, 04:32 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Neither. If a business can't weather a rough time, they need to fail. Learn from it and try again.

I also don't want bail outs for student loans. Yes, admission is too high - because the government got involved. Now people want the government to solve the problem that was caused by the government.

Can we get the fricken government the hell out of just about everything? Bailing businesses and loan holders out is not their job.

The only time I agreed with anything was that millions of people, through no choice of their own, who did nothing wrong, suddenly lost their job because of....a lying government who told everyone that Covid was this huge, scary emergency, and that they must lock everyone down. They LIED to everyone! We are still paying for that lie, right now.

One day, people are employed, they are making money. They were doing what they had to do to sustain themselves. Some were well off, some were paycheck to paycheck. And then? It all just stopped. Their income was eradicated, not by their own fault, not by something they did, but because of a bunch of scum bag liars in the government.

So there, yes, I agreed with helping people. Yep, we are paying for that right now, but you can't LIE to everyone, take away their livelihood, and leave them hanging. I don't think it should have been the amounts that they were, I don't think everyone should have received those checks, I don't think there should have been as many handed out. And I sure as hell didn't believe in carrying it on for so long. But an initial helping hand - yes. The government blindsided people with their BS that everyone needed to be locked in their homes over a fricken LIE!

What should have happened: Advise that those who were older, or those who had some type of health issue to stay in their homes. Urge companies to allow people to work from home, as soon as possible. Everyone else? CARRY ON AS USUAL.

And stop lying about alternative treatments. They lied about alternative treatments because if there were alternative treatments, well, then the EUA wouldn't have applied to the 'vaccines'. But you can't make billions if you allow alternative treatments.

All of those idiots braying with laughter about 'horse dewormer' or 'bleach' - stupid fools. They were legit alternatives, as well as many others, but you believed the lie. It wasn't about protecting you, it was to make the pharma jackasses a big, fat, wad of cash.

No business should have received a thing because they should never have been deemed 'essential' or 'non-essential' by a LYING government!

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 08-25-2022 at 04:41 PM..

Old 08-25-2022, 05:18 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Other than the seven months Shutdown DeSantis shut it down. I mean, it's better than here in California but shutdowns are shutdowns and Shutdown DeSantis is no Democrat. Close to the farthest you can get to it in mainstream politics and you know what he did? Shutdowns.

About the only one that didn't order shutdowns was Kristi Noem. She merely suggested rather than ordered, other than 65+ and people with pre-existing conditions in two stricken counties where stay-at-home orders were issued. But yeah, Noem on social issues is too radical to have much national appeal as far as potential 2024 candidates. Shutdown DeSantis despite being pro shutdowns definitely is more palatable overall.

You don't know what you are talking about. Indoor dining was closed early to mid March but there was always drive thru and takeout. The pet food boutique I frequent never closed a single day. Disney World reopened July 2020. Disneyland in California was closed 412 days. Seven months? Pshaw.

Old 08-25-2022, 05:39 PM

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Well it looks like The White House has had enough. They are tweeting every GOP Congressman's PPP loan that was forgiven in response to their complaints about $10K student loans forgiven. Those loans look pretty tiny by comparison to the PPP loans forgiven.

So why did so many in Congress get massive PPP loans in the first place? And why were they allowed to be forgiven?

Politicians being two faced. Calling them out may shut them up.

Old 08-25-2022, 05:45 PM

4,562 posts, read 4,103,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
The poll is flawed. They are two completely separate issues.

One was to help businesses to retain their employee's during an unprecedented world wide pandemic the other is a handout to people that signed up for an obligation, and failed on their end.
Businesses can fail to meet their obligations. When they do then they can file bankruptcy.

Are student loans discharged or negotiated down in bankruptcy?

Old 08-25-2022, 05:51 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
I'm seeing a lot of rhetoric around Biden's student loan forgiveness. I paid for my college education out of pocket as I went so, no, I don't benefit but I don't begrudge those who do. I think the better solution would be interest free student loans. That said:

What does everyone think about the very wealthy beneficiaries of the PPP loans that were often a million dollars or more? That was under Trump and Republicans didn't complain about that AT ALL. That debt went on the backs of taxpayers at a much greater amount than $10K in student loan forgiveness.

Government has forgiven nearly $400 billion in Covid-relief PPP loans, federal watchdogs say

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/per...loans-n1274618
Biden lost billions alone, in fraud from just one of his many give-away bills. Why do we allow this man and his incompetent democrats to do anything anymore, I don't know.

Half of all COVID unemployment relief was stolen - and most of of the $400 billion in illegally-claimed handouts were funneled to Russia, China and Nigeria

Up to $400 billion in COVID unemployment relief was stolen - and more than half that cash was funneled to criminals in Russia, China and Nigeria, it was claimed.

The United States lost as much as 50% of all unemployment relief, as much as $400 billion, through fraudulent claims, Blake Hall told Axios. Hall is the CEO of ID.me CEO, a company that provides fraud prevention services.

Some experts are considering the theft a matter of national security with cash ending up in the hands of criminal groups based in Russia, China and Nigeria.

Our government under Biden is throwing around so much money, losing $400 billion is not even noticed by his voters.

Old 08-25-2022, 05:54 PM

1,100 posts, read 432,274 times
I assume this extends to the people who didn’t finish.

So we are paying for the dropouts too? Are we?

Old 08-25-2022, 05:57 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Neither. If a business can't weather a rough time, they need to fail. Learn from it and try again.

I also don't want bail outs for student loans. Yes, admission is too high - because the government got involved. Now people want the government to solve the problem that was caused by the government.

Can we get the fricken government the hell out of just about everything? Bailing businesses and loan holders out is not their job.{snip}
Neither was is government's job to force all businesses to lock their doors and prevent customers from doing business, and forcing people to lock their doors and sit at home for months at a time

Old 08-25-2022, 05:58 PM

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post
I assume this extends to the people who didn’t finish.

So we are paying for the dropouts too? Are we?
Yes. About 33% have no degree but have student loan

Old 08-25-2022, 06:20 PM

9,511 posts, read 4,344,731 times
Quote:

Two wrongs don't make a right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies