Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 07:59 PM

6,796 posts, read 14,016,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
All colleges and universities should be privatized and no government grants, loans or subsidies should be granted.

Put this in effect and see how it works out. 90% of all colleges would close their doors within a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 09:33 PM

1,265 posts, read 444,674 times
What should the requirement be? Be able to afford it and not out the burden on the taxpayer

Old 08-24-2022, 09:46 PM

32,052 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Permit View Post
What should the requirement be? Be able to afford it and not out the burden on the taxpayer
Go to your community college first then transfer. Stay in state because it's more affordable. Housing is the problem because it costs just as much as tuition. Most who go instate can drive. The problem is they want to experience college life and live on campus

Old 08-24-2022, 10:03 PM

19,766 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Calif State Univ and Univ of Calif removed SAT and ACT
https://amp.sacbee.com/news/local/ed...259704710.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...h=4075fae92ec5

I am sure that will help with the student loan crisis /sarcasm
The UC system plans to use its own admission test(s) by '24 or '25, unless they dropped idea recently. We'll see if the woke merit haters kill the idea if not already dead.

Old 08-24-2022, 10:13 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Put this in effect and see how it works out. 90% of all colleges would close their doors within a week.
Okay.

Old 08-25-2022, 07:10 AM

23,961 posts, read 15,059,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Their answer is CC and technical schools not 4 year universities
Some of us do not know the difference between college and university.

Old 08-25-2022, 07:24 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,395,096 times
A genuine commitment to pay back the loan would be a good start.

Old 08-25-2022, 05:40 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,149,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
I think that's the kind of mentality that is a MAJOR problem. You SHOULD care who they let in and for what. Hitler was let into Art school and we saw where that got us. Stalin went to the Gori Church School. And yeah, you can say they were much younger then, so no one could have predicted what monsters they'd become, but really? I find it VERY hard to believe that even at young ages there weren't some signs what kind off psychopaths they were.
Did a college or university admit you, Gerobime? Did you attend? Graduate? Still waiting for answers.

Old 08-25-2022, 05:58 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,106,464 times
Success in college can vary even for an individual and I’m proof of that.

Younger people don’t know what they want to do, don’t have the motivation nor dedication to stick with it if they don’t truly want it, and end up with loans they don’t want to/can’t pay bc they didn’t finish or didn’t pick something they can make money doing.

Some people are good at the schooling and stink at doing it in practicality.

And some people find a good fit but maybe they don’t test well, even if they would do great in the real world, but if standards were higher for admission, they may be rejected.

I think community colleges are a good place to start and should not be super competitive or expensive. Rates are indeed generally lower, classes are easier IMO, it’s a good general base (although I honestly think most of it is completely pointless).

Universities are a little more expensive, they require more discipline as far as earning your grades, and they should be meant for specific career training in fields that require a lot of knowledge. (I’m talking public schools as that’s my experience.)

I don’t think terminal undergrad degrees with no job prospects should be a thing. Architecture is one such example. If you want to work in that field but NOT be an architect, there should be a different program for that (CAD or something).

Tech schools should accept anyone just like community colleges. I do believe universities should be more competitive. I think grad school should be competitive and schools like Capella that accept anyone and are privately funded (read: $$$ yet have high dropout rates bc they accept everyone) should not be a thing or at least should be exempted from student loans backed by the govt.

I think part of the issue is less the schools and more the fact that literally anyone (few exceptions) can get a student loan. That alone has driven up the cost in a crazy way in the last 20 years. Couple that with boomer parents like mine insisting their kids go to college to make something of themselves and we have the problem we are seeing now.

Last edited by andrea3821; 08-25-2022 at 06:09 PM..

Old 08-25-2022, 06:12 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,982,242 times
If Republicans have their way, it will be only "Rich White priveleged people allowed in college, We want to keep the rest of you stupid and working in the coal mines"

Last edited by DorianRo; 08-25-2022 at 06:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies