Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 05:24 PM

18,417 posts, read 15,116,676 times

Advertisements

Abortion hurts the GOP with Independents.

Student loan forgiveness hurts Democrats with Independents.

The Dem talking point on social media, was that nobody has to pay for the loan forgiveness. Basically, that the debt just vanishes into thin air.

They got completely destroyed on that talking point over the last few days by anyone with even a rudimentary economics education. So now they switched gears to comparing them to corporate bailouts and PPP loan forgiveness.

But the bottom line is, this scheme just reminds Independents about printing money, which reminds them about inflation.

So if inflation was losing traction, this is going to cause it to gain traction again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2022, 05:27 PM

8,275 posts, read 3,754,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
This was a an opinion piece in the editorial section by a journalist!!
Specifically a conservative journalist and a right-leaning editorial board.

Old 08-25-2022, 05:31 PM

10,181 posts, read 6,228,722 times
Just as happened in Kansas, there has also been a surge in PA of new voter registrations for Democrats with WOMEN leading the way.

Reported by PA local news station.

Old 08-25-2022, 05:44 PM

41,018 posts, read 17,992,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Just as happened in Kansas, there has also been a surge in PA of new voter registrations for Democrats with WOMEN leading the way.

PA is voting Dem no matter who the candidate is, just like they voted for Sleepy Joe. Folks are leaving in droves the past few years with what’s gone on here. Unfortunately, Wolf stuck around so long and we’re going to get another clown just like him. Living in fear and shutting it down has consequences.

Old 08-25-2022, 05:57 PM

8,275 posts, read 3,754,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

I'm not in favor of democrats, but it's good to see more voters.

Old 08-25-2022, 06:05 PM

10,181 posts, read 6,228,722 times
Well,I didn't like the Wolf lock downs but that is over with now. I'm not a one issue voter. Besides, I live in the Poconos. Vacation area. Just about all jobs are service related which nobody wants today. They are tearing down homes to build more resorts, and theme parks. I feel like I am living in the Florida of the North. lol

Meet a new person? Hi, where are you originally from is first question asked. Scranton, Philly, but mostly NJ and NY. Transplants same as in Florida.

You wonder why Monroe votes Democratic? lol

Old 08-25-2022, 06:06 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,613,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
If the MSM reports it, it must be true.
The numbers are the numbers.

The fact is that Rs are underperforming in places where they usually win.

Old 08-25-2022, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine607 View Post
Is that really true. I need some comfort as I am getting terrified of the dems/left maintaining both chambers of congress and are freedoms and rights are so royally screwed in such a case unless we have another Joe Manchin type or a few around to save the day.

Never heard that 40% of voters who are intendent cannot vote in mid terms?? If you are registered to vote, I thought you could vote for governor or anyone on ballots in your state???
In most states, they cannot vote in the primaries. So their votes have no impact on who the R and D nominees are. Which can lead to unexpected upsets in the general, when the independents do weigh in.

Old 08-25-2022, 06:18 PM

956 posts, read 502,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
In most states, they cannot vote in the primaries. So their votes have no impact on who the R and D nominees are. Which can lead to unexpected upsets in the general, when the independents do weigh in.
So who votes in the primaries then? I mean I thought generally you could only vote in democratic or republican primary, but not both. I know that was the case in 2016 when I voted for Marco Rubio in republican primary in Michigan.

And with republicans underperforming. Is it just evidence based on a few special elections. And how much voter turnout do these special elections really have compared to primaries??

Old 08-25-2022, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine607 View Post
So who votes in the primaries then? I mean I thought generally you could only vote in democratic or republican primary, but not both. I know that was the case in 2016 when I voted for Marco Rubio in republican primary in Michigan.

And with republicans underperforming. Is it just evidence based on a few special elections. And how much voter turnout do these special elections really have compared to primaries??
Rs vote in R primaries, Ds vote in D primaries. Primaries are how the parties decide who their nominee is. A while back, parties in some states did experiment with allowing non-party members to vote in their primaries, in hopes of getting more electable nominees for the general, but it really didn't yield those results. I know of no state that would allow a person to vote on more than one primary ballot.

It's true that a number of states allow you to change your registration on pretty short notice, so if you are motivated enough, you can switch registrations between the primary and the general. But other states require you to be registered in the same party for both the primary and the general. This is all governed by state law, so the best I can do here is generalize.

Then there is a jungle primary, such as Washington state has. Everyone runs on the same ballot in the primary, regardless of party, and the top two vote-getters, regardless of party affiliation, run against each other in the general.

My impression is that these special elections have seen pretty good turnout. But I'd have to look it up, and dinner is calling...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies