Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2022, 11:50 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Gee, why are kids today so violent? Where ever did they learn that violence is the answer?
In "One Parent" homes. Look at the statistics. Children with no father tend to have the streets raise them. No discipline, no direction, they only know violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2022, 12:02 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
For those who insist paddling children isn't child abuse, you haven't seen some of the horrific photos taken by medical practitioners and CPS of entire buttocks covered in deep black and blue, and often even ripped and oozing skin, from being paddled at school. In the 70's.

This isn't a quick pop to get their attention, which might be ok on a diapered bum of a toddler.

This is a beating. And we as adults shouldn't tolerate it happening to our children.

Old 08-25-2022, 12:09 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
If you raise your kids correctly there will be no reason for them to be spanked. What it takes to raise a strong willed child is consistency and that starts at birth where the boundaries are clearly stated. mainly, that no means no. If you set that strong foundation (and I know ages two through three is extremely testing and trying on a parent) the parent maintains the position of authority and power over the child, they will get past that stage and have a strong foundation for being a normal, functional non-feral member of society.

If you want a sassy wild child then just be their friend and let them do/have whatever they want if they tantrum too much because it’s easier to give in than to be firm.
Yep. Seems like a whole lot of lazy parents in SW MO. Hey Teach, I’m too lazy to discipline my kid so you have to do it for me. Teachers are already WAY overburdened via stuff they are expected to due because parents can’t or won’t.

Old 08-25-2022, 12:11 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
When my kids went it was a blanket approval but the school had to call you first and you could veto if you felt the offense did not warrant a spanking.

The school is going to punish your child one way or another. When one of mine was in 9th grade he and two other boys flipped paper clips at a plastic clock. His punishment sent home to me in a note on Friday afternoon was he had detention for a week at the "quack shack", the kids called it, starting Monday, in the next town (20 miles away) and there was no bus or lunch provided. As well they would not be keeping up with their class lessons, just sitting there, so he got a week behind on school work.
I had to take off work Morning and go to the school. I had no idea where this place was and was not able to take him there and pick him up as I worked. I ask them why dont you just bust his arze and be done with it. The punishment was on me, not him.

You can discipline your kids at home and it does not mean they are not going to do childish things at school. And you are not abdicating your responsibilities. In our house if you got in trouble at school you got in trouble at home too.
Most schools now got rid of after school detention. They do 'in school suspension' they call it.

And I agree that method of punishing a child puts a bigger burden on the parent thana it does the child.

Old 08-25-2022, 12:12 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
Knowing you can behave anyway you wish with no consequences is going to cure it?
The consequences should be your parents disciplining you when told of your inappropriate behavior. Right wing parents are screaming daily about the gubmint not being their kids parent. Unless they need a beating, then gubmint can have at it.

Old 08-25-2022, 12:21 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Personally, I would vote for the dunce cap. Starting with the groomers.

Old 08-25-2022, 12:28 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,392 times
Quote:
Often times schools can't educate because of the violent and disruptive behavior of some students. Teachers and other students have been physically assaulted by students. How are they to educate when kids are running around, jumping on desks, talking, making out, etc. in class?

I think if a child is continually disruptive and acting in way that may harm others or prevent the teacher from educating other student they should just be kicked out of school and the parents can discipline and educate them at home.
Apples and oranges. They're not talking about spanking kids who're assaulting teachers and other students. Schools have other disciplinary measures, including law enforcement for such incidents. And, I'm also thinking a 5'5 115lbs soaking wet educator isn't going to be spanking a high school boy and girl who are making out.

We're long past those days where schools have been physical disciplinarians. What teacher/administrator in their right mind is going to want to do this? Especially with everyone having a recording device on their person. No educator gets a job in education to spank someone else's kids.

This is silly, impractical, and the negative unintended consequences stemming from such policy will surely outweigh any potential positives.

Old 08-25-2022, 12:36 PM

8,928 posts, read 2,959,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon3290 View Post
Let's pretend violence is okay. (Are you kidding me?)

So you are saying it is OKAY for an adult male who is not a child's father to spank an elementary school child, boy or girl? Same question for middle school. Do you really think it's okay for a 12 year old girl to get spanked as a punishment? That IS what has happened in the past..
Yes. It happened for literally hundreds of years. Only recently have liberals started to cry about this.

If my kid is acting like an idiot at school, I WANT HIM to be punished.

Yes. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Old 08-25-2022, 12:38 PM

8,928 posts, read 2,959,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Gee, why are kids today so violent? Where ever did they learn that violence is the answer?
Yes, we hear stories all the time about how gang bangers got their start. The common answer is that they were disciplined too much as a child.

HAHA.

Old 08-25-2022, 12:42 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Yes. It happened for literally hundreds of years. Only recently have liberals started to cry about this.

If my kid is acting like an idiot at school, I WANT HIM to be punished.

Yes. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

a.) Because it puts teachers/administrators in a no-win position.
b.) Because there's room for abuse.
c.) Because it isn't State's job to do your job.

Why is that so hard for you to understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies