Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2022, 08:36 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
We're not seeing more violence from this generation, except in inner city gang situations.

We're seeing much less violent crime, from the generation that wasn't taught violence at home.

Spanking doesn't teach respect. It teaches the ability to fake respect, and to avoid expressing disrespect that the person feels.

Don't confuse the two, although at a glance they look the same.
Experts contribute the decrease in violent crime over the years to improved law enforcement, gun regulations, increased capital punishment, aging boomers and better economy. And according to one professor of economics legalization of abortion. It is not attributed to spanking or not spanking.

I agree spanking does not teach respect. IMO the actions of others teaches respect. Spanking teaches one to keep their disrespect in check for fear of retribution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2022, 08:39 AM

3,113 posts, read 938,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Experts contribute the decrease in violent crime over the years to improved law enforcement, gun regulations, increased capital punishment, aging boomers and better economy. And according to one professor of economics legalization of abortion. It is not attributed to spanking or not spanking.

I agree spanking does not teach respect. IMO the actions of others teaches respect. Spanking teaches one to keep their disrespect in check for fear of retribution.
Before a certain age, you really cannot reason with a kid, their brains are not fully developed. You just need to hit them.

After a certain age, better just remove their phone or ground them. Spanking is not a serious punishment. No one but little kids are scared of being spanked.

Old 08-26-2022, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Expelled. If a kid is disruptive, they are not interested in learning, and in respect for the kids that are there to learn the disruptors should be expelled. Then they become the parent's problem and the school can do what they are there to do, teach the students what the community curriculum calls for them to teach.
I agree but they cant seem to do that either. The kids dont care if they are expelled. If kids arent in school, the parents go to jail. I'm not sure how that helps.

Some parents would rather opt for a spanking. It is an option if they allow corporal punishment. I mentioned earlier when my son was in 9th grade he and a couple other students got caught flipping paper clips at a clock. He was expelled to a different school in a town 20 miles away for a week and not allowed to get or work on his regular coursework, so he was behind a week in each class. I would rather they had just given him three cracks. It was a huge inconvenience for me and put him behind in his studies.

I dont care who you are or how well your kids behave your kid most likely will do something they arent supposed to at some time during those school years. Some will get caught, some wont.
For me it was sneaking off school property during lunch (peer pressure) and smoking in 9th grade (smoking was allowed for boys in 9th grade and all students 10th grade and up). I never got caught.

Old 08-26-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Discipline can take place AFTER school. And even if a kid is disciplined at school it should be.
Are you forgetting that paddling is an option by permission only? I think some parents would opt for a paddling over expulsion. MI would imagine many kids who are constantly getting in trouble are never disciplined at home.
In my years of K-12, I only recall a handful of paddling's taking place ad those were from 6th grade up. My older sister was one of them. In those times it was not contingent of parental approval.

Old 08-26-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
If you hit your kid with a piece of wood at home - you be in jail. Kids are not animals. But if hit the dog with a piece of wood - def go to jail
A piece of wood. Like a pencil or toothpick?

Old 08-26-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I have no prob with parents spanking - I have problems with a person hitting my kid with a wooden paddle. It’s degrading and the parents should not be pawning off their responsibilities of corrections on others.
You dont have to give permission for your child to be spanked and they wont be.
Dont assume parents are not also correcting/disciplining/punishing their child.
Would you rather you child be suspended/expelled or get 1-3 spanks?
I imagine most teachers/administrators would also prefer not to spank students.

Old 08-26-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Right. It's a CPS curriculum.

I doubt you can find images easily on the internet of naked children's buttocks.

And I doubt you would want those sites in your browsing history.
So that would tell me it is very, very, very rare or else it would be in the news, papers/articles written about it etc. It was not photos per se I was searching for but any evidence it happened.

Old 08-26-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I have to agree with this. In NYC, there were two kids - SECOND GRADE - who were so disruptive that when the school wouldn’t do anything about it caused me to pull MY mood out and homeschool. One was out-of-control violent; punching others, throwing books, overturning desks, and even stabbed another kid with a pencil. While that was going on, the second kid would get up and run not only out of the classroom, but out of the school.

In those two cases, I’m not sure even a spanking would have done anything. Anyway, maybe it’s other parents whose kids are being denied an education who voted to reinstate the spanking.
That is a good point.

Old 08-26-2022, 11:15 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:

I doubt you can find images easily on the internet of naked children's buttocks.

Let's start this little train one more time. You said:

Quote:
For those who insist paddling children isn't child abuse, you haven't seen some of the horrific photos taken by medical practitioners and CPS of entire buttocks covered in deep black and blue, and often even ripped and oozing skin, from being paddled at school. In the 70's.

This isn't a quick pop to get their attention, which might be ok on a diapered bum of a toddler.

This is a beating. And we as adults shouldn't tolerate it happening to our children.
Quote:
Got a link. Kids were paddled when I went to school in the 60's and 70's. That definitely was not the norm. I'm sure it was quite rare and may have happened at the hands of someone who should not be around children. Much like all the sexual abuse that occurs today between teachers and students.
Quote:
No, I don't have a link, although I'm sure I could find one if I wanted to go down that trail.

The images I'm referring to were shown during a CPS training class on how to spot accidental injuries vs. injuries that were inflicted during a beating.

And some of the pictures that of the kids who had been legally paddled by a legal authority figure in a public school were horrific.
Quote:
I tried googling it and came up zilch.
Quote:

Then why in the hell did you say you could 'probably find a link'? You insinuated that it could be possible to find this evidence that you're claiming, on the internet. Now, you're saying you won't be able to find them.

Yes, you said they were photos during a CPS curriculum, but you also stated you could probably find them. Now you're backtracking.

So, you're expecting us to take your word for it, with zero proof.

When I was in school, the principal had a paddle with the holes in it. Some kids got paddled. I'm sure it did hurt, and you bet they were humiliated - by the other kids.

I, personally, do not believe in hitting children. However, to call paddling at school 'abuse' or 'beatings' p*$$es me off, because I lived actual abuse and beating. A paddle on the backside is NOT the same thing, and I really wish some of those who keep throwing out the word 'abuse' and 'beatings' would STOP using those words that diminish what actual abuse and beatings truly are.

Does it hurt to get paddled? I'm sure it does. Will it leave a mark? Most spankings do. Is it humiliating for the kids? Of course it is, especially when they walk back into class and all the other kids laugh at them. And again, I don't agree with hitting kids in any way, shape, or form.

But stop this BS!!!!!! of calling everything 'abuse' and 'beatings'. It. Is. NOT. The. Same!

Old 08-26-2022, 11:27 AM

2,983 posts, read 1,166,554 times
I remember when the nun principle of my school switch from wooden yard stick to a metal one!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies