Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 04:29 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times

Advertisements

All schools should do this. What is in place now doesn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2022, 06:02 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
All schools should do this. What is in place now doesn't work.
If all schools did this, my theory is that we'd see a rise in teachers being assaulted. Many kids are so violent that physical punishment wouldn't work anyway.

Old 08-26-2022, 06:19 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odjebi View Post
man they should have like i had in europe when i was a kid talk in class or come late they take tin straight branch pole and you put forward your palms and teacher swings 10 ttimes
Where? I've never heard of any place in Europe doing that.

Old 08-26-2022, 08:49 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Kids have been paddled in schools way before any of us were even born.

And they lived.
And what scars do they live with. If they are paddled at school then they are paddled at home. It could be even worse at home. You don't do this to children just because that's the only way you know how to discipline.

Old 08-26-2022, 10:48 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odjebi View Post
man they should have like i had in europe when i was a kid talk in class or come late they take tin straight branch pole and you put forward your palms and teacher swings 10 ttimes
Yeah, I got that in primary school but with a flat wooden ruler on the palms of our hands. Girls got it too. But not in Europe. Same mentality though. I've mentioned before in this thread how I carried scars on my butt for many years from a caning in primary school.

When I had kids, I resolved to have a serious conversation with the school about them touching my kids! Along the lines of "You hitte my kids, I hitte you!" Or words to that effect. But as it happened, such corporal punishment was banned by that time. Other people had the same thoughts as I did.

Old 08-27-2022, 12:34 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
By the time corporal punishment went away in public schools, most principals had stopped using it out of concern for retribution.

I recall reading that principals feared that incorrigible students, or their parents, would kill the spanker.

I believe we should institute caning as punishment for lesser adult crimes. Turning criminals loose to continually reoffend with no consequence has taught them that crime DOES pay.

Cane habitual shoplifters, muggers, & pickpockets, for example.

Old 08-27-2022, 01:05 PM

88 posts, read 33,334 times
I was spanked in school several times.

Oh, the horror!

We used to try not to laugh during the spanking, but we certainly laughed afterward.

It was more a badge of honor than anything traumatic.

Old 08-27-2022, 01:21 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Back in the mid to late 60s in suburbia:

I got spanked in kindergarden. Yes kindergarden. I remember it to this day. In front of the class. Why? Because I was talking to one of the kids at our little round table & the teacher got angry. It was traumatic and certainly affected me. Back then parents didn't sue, I doubt my parents did anything, they were weak and easily cowed, especially my mother.

In 4th grade the teacher (I still remember her very well) made a boy who was acting & up being the class clown, wear a baby bonnet & carry a doll all the next day. She had one of the students bring in a doll. He had to stand in the corner most of the day. She even made him wear the baby bonnet & carry the doll to lunch in the cafeteria. I remember her saying to him, "if you're going to act like a baby, you're going to look like a baby!" I still remember the kid AND his full name, like it happened yesterday. It scarred me since I can remember it decades later.

I consider these acts of child abuse, and no educator would ever get away with anything even close to that if I were the parent. I would sue every last school board member, administrator, and teacher if I had to.

As an adult, I stand up to bullies, and when I see or experience bullying behavior, even online, I have and will confront.

Last edited by lottamoxie; 08-27-2022 at 01:35 PM..

Old 08-28-2022, 09:36 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon3290 View Post
Red states are screaming about groomers, but at the same time are allowing grown adults to spank children in schools... typical right wing garbage, talking out of both sides of their mouths..

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...le/7883625001/

I will look forward to the folks defending this with solid reasons for why children should be spanked by employees of schools in Missouri..
"Spare the rod, SPOIL the child"!

Old 08-28-2022, 09:40 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
A swat with the paddle at school is not a beating. And yes, it taught a helluva lot of people to mind their manners before it was too late.
Ask anyone who went to a Catholic school.

Physical punishment was used but NEVER abused
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies