Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 12:53 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So one quarter proves gouging despite most of the other quarters being in-line with prior years?

And that fully explains the inflation of the past year or more?

You make no logical case to support that there hasn't been other factors and just assign it all to corporations price gouging solely based on what appears to be zero analytics and 100% emotion.

The opening sentence "A (meaning one of many) measure of US profit margins..."

Then you didn't read the fine print in the article which is exactly what was intended in this click-bait type situation.
Ahhhh ---- sometimes we just don't take the time.
Thanks - now I have to go and dig further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2022, 12:56 PM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
You all go ahead and pay those high prices. Not me. I've switched brands and/or cut it out.

I am not paying $25/lb for fresh grouper nor am I paying $12/lb for fresh cod.
And after cruising by the fresh fish dept in my grocery store it looks like others aren't either....trays were still fully stocked at noon.

Old 08-25-2022, 12:57 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
This is what I have said for months now. Until our demand subsides, there is no incentive to curb prices.

That's why gas is going down, Americans are pulling back on demand.

I suspect the big price increases in July will show a drop in sales for August and that may bring on some reduction in prices.

Having said that, Target's loss of profits is being attributed to the excessive inventory they had on hand and the discounts they applied to move that inventory.

Covid and supply chain disruptions really did turn the economy upside down.
Good post.

Hey look, supply and demand work...it's not just "price gouging" like this click-bait induced thread suggests.

We had a number of discussions about gas prices and how people weren't building more refineries because of the long term investment and prognosis for future gas demand.

Had a lot of partisans try to ignore that and lo and behold CA now has another initiative to ban gas vehicles by 2035.

Step 1: Govt. pushes to ban or restrict product X
Step 2: Private industry scales back production of product X
Step 3: Prices go up for product X as supply falls
Step 4: Govt blames private industry for higher prices.

Old 08-25-2022, 01:07 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-co...154202598.html

So it's not the fault of labor costs, materials costs, transportation costs, climate change, Amazon, Biden, Trump, Elon Musk, Obama, Reagan, your mother, my mother, the dog next door or anything else that is to blame for inflated prices.

It's GOUGING what these greedy companies have been doing to us. And they are laughing all the way to the bank.
Don’t show the record profits. The right will just start singing la la la la and go blame Biden for their rose plant dying. Cannot by any way tell them corporations are not their friends. They can’t accept that.

Old 08-25-2022, 01:08 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
You all go ahead and pay those high prices. Not me. I've switched brands and/or cut it out.

I am not paying $25/lb for fresh grouper nor am I paying $12/lb for fresh cod.
And after cruising by the fresh fish dept in my grocery store it looks like others aren't either....trays were still fully stocked at noon.
I’ll shop at Wally’s n not Detwilders and pay more. Bread is bread

Old 08-25-2022, 01:10 PM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I’ll shop at Wally’s n not Detwilders and pay more. Bread is bread
I do and have switched to Wally's brand for some items but not all.
But even store brands have gone up and my weekly food shopping bill is about $25 higher these days.

For fish though I go to another supermarket that gets their fish from a local seafood store. I'm particular about my fresh fish.

Old 08-25-2022, 01:13 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Good post.

Hey look, supply and demand work...it's not just "price gouging" like this click-bait induced thread suggests.

We had a number of discussions about gas prices and how people weren't building more refineries because of the long term investment and prognosis for future gas demand.

Had a lot of partisans try to ignore that and lo and behold CA now has another initiative to ban gas vehicles by 2035.

Step 1: Govt. pushes to ban or restrict product X
Step 2: Private industry scales back production of product X
Step 3: Prices go up for product X as supply falls
Step 4: Govt blames private industry for higher prices.
I get the long term impact of trying to reduce fossil fuel dependency. BUT my argument was and is -- in the short term (starting in 2021 when demand for gas surged), American oil companies didn't have to 'invest' in LONG term product. They just had to restore their production to 2019 levels. They openly admitted they didn't want to because they wanted to recoup their losses from 2020. They didn't say ANYTHING about the long term investment and numerous surveys as to why they weren't ramping up production -- at most 11% of these oil producers cited govt./state/community regulations/efforts to reduce fossil fuels.

But the minute demand dropped because the prices were too high, oil companies adjusted their way of doing business...in spite of the continued efforts to reduce the use of fossil fuels in the country.

Oil companies had a right to recoup their profits. But they themselves cited the need to recoup those profits as the primary reason they weren't investing/increasing production.

Old 08-25-2022, 01:18 PM

7,310 posts, read 3,796,563 times
Total clickbait. And it looks like profits may just now be recovering from the great recession.

If you're going to believe that clickbait headline, then you're going to believe Biden's "job growth" numbers that were actually people coming back to work following the government-mandated lockdowns during the COVID farce and had nothing to do with the Idiot-in-Chief's economic policies, which, in fact, have resulted in tens of thousands of lost jobs, especially in the oil and gas industry.

Old 08-25-2022, 01:36 PM

9,865 posts, read 4,638,421 times
Yes and no. So much outsourcing across the board including suppliers. 70 years ago most was made in the USA even vendors supplying bigger companies. But the computer for example being made overseas might be cheaper than a made in US typewriter 70 years ago. Also companies did more in house where as now many use sub contractors. And companies part time people more often. 70 years ago one could make a living in a retail store now those jobs are part timed or temporary.

Old 08-25-2022, 05:06 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,847,143 times
lots of apologists for the greedy corporations in this thread

prolly the actual gougers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies