Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 06:21 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
He wasn't asked for his name. He volunteered that. Repeating falsehoods wastes everyone's time.

As for racism, there's no real evidence of that from the cops. If he files a lawsuit about that instead of wrongful arrest, I expect him to lose. It might be provocative by design, to strike back at a police force for the situations he and his son experienced.

Also, if nobody had filed charges after the arrest, maybe he'd have let it go. Everyone making themselves look bad. Maybe someone needs to go after the cops for filing a misleading incident report; nobody with any sense would watch the video and say prosecution should've been pursued.
Correct. Without being asked, he said "I'm pastor Jennings and I live across the street". Probably not a bad way to introduce yourself to a cop. Sets the tone that he's not a thug.

Some concerning things - the cop who appears to have come after the initial confrontation was surprised that the hose was on at the end of the video. He had no idea, obviously, that when the cops arrived Pastor Jennings actually WAS in the act of watering the flowers. Which really adds a piece of the puzzle.

Secondly, the cop who was first to arrive lies to the one in charge, saying "he refused to ID himself". No he didn't. In fact he volunteered his identity and the location of his home before being asked.

So we're dealing with misinformation that was caused by the first two cops on the scene, of not informing the third decision maker of the reality of what happened.

My guess is, when they watched the audio/video all 3 swallowed hard. Upps.

Last edited by ClaraC; 08-28-2022 at 06:44 PM..

Old 08-28-2022, 06:44 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
You are now deflecting. Yes, officers identify themselves as “Officer Jones” all the time, and doctors as “Dr. Smith,” but you know good and well that saying you are “Pastor Jones” is not giving them his NAME as you claimed he did. “Identifying yourself” and giving someone “your name” can be 2 different things depending on how someone chooses to “identify themselves.”

You are not naïve enough to think that “Pastor Jones” qualifies as giving a police officer your NAME (as you originally claimed he did in your previous post) when they are formally requesting your NAME to identify you

I agree that there looks like there was a double standard with the way they treated the neighbor, and that is wrong, but it goes back to my original point. Had he complied and not lost his cool, he could have reported the incident later and not had an arrest record or been charged with obstruction. You have to be strategic in how you deal with things.

I understand how he was frustrated, but he could have avoided an arrest and charge by keeping his cool (even though it is a tough situation).
You are being pedantic. He gave his name in the same way he normally introduces himself. The cops could easily have asked: what is your first name?

I can't imagine what it would be like if I was watering my neighbor's garden and the cops showed up demanding to know who I was and what I was doing there. It was quite obvious he had a hose in his hand and was watering the flowers. No need for cops to be confrontational. They were wrong.

Old 08-28-2022, 06:51 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
”I gave you my name and told you where I live. Why do I have to show ID? That's not the law, right? I'm just a pastor watering flowers.”
Slightly combative, but probably safely. In my opinion, people should take a stand against overreach so that it doesn't become common practice or formal procedure.

Don't yell, don't curse, don't cry racism (the only probable racism was on the caller), don't dare to be arrested.

What I 'like' about the story is all the going-wrong play-by-play and not buried in the background because someone got badly injured or killed. [b]It's a life lesson type of story.]
The “life lesson” for this small town of about 4500 people is likely not to work out well.
The Lawsuit against the City due to Pastor Jennings stubborn attitude & the cost to the Taxpayers will be very divisive. He can congratulate himself for his monetary windfall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I just now watched the entire thing, which happened back in May and it's made the news cycle now I guess because he's filed suit

After the woman recognizes him, and they now have his name and address and his criminal history is clear, they should have let him go. It's not workable that during the time he's in handcuffs, if they clear up the misunderstanding, they can't just erase the arrest which is what the cop said.

If they clear up a misunderstanding while they're in the neighborhood, they need to back off without charges.

He DID give them his name. Pastor Jennings, and that right there is my house.

I will say, his wife showed absolutely remarkable restraint under the circumstances.

The charges of "obstructing government operations" were dropped against him in June.
He lived down the ally, not across the street, but that’s just ‘details’, sorta like refusing to give his name and then telling the Police “ take me to jail, I want you to”

Quote:
What got the cops called on him, is he is Black.

And he alluded to something with his son, but I don't know what that was.

And when they discovered the error, the cops arrested him anyway.

While his wife stood there being an absolutely model citizen, and cooperative and respectful to a fault.

And now, hopefully he'll win his suit with the city. As he should. That arrest should never have taken place, it was just a jerk cop who couldn't let it go, that makes reasonable cops look bad by association.
The wife was fully aware that her husband had crossed a line and was doing the best she could to try and fix it. Unfortunately, when an arrest has been made, it can’t be ‘unmade’ ( as the Police Officer explained) it’s ALL recorded, and anything other than processing the person arrested could be accepting a bribe. She understood that. They explained it clearly and I bet she knows all about the Pastors short fuse and his bad attitude.

The “jerk cops” need to do a better job with 911 calls — make sure they have a FULL description of everyone involved. Black person involved? Your career is on the line, don’t make the call.

The entire town will suffer, but I guess that’s the Goal.

Old 08-28-2022, 06:53 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Go back and watch the beginning of the video, and how very friendly he was in the beginning, until the officer's first aggressive question.
No, I will not go back and watch anything. My reply to your post was to point out that you falsely stated he gave the officers his name, which he did not. I will not keep going around in circles with you.

Old 08-28-2022, 06:58 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
He wasn't asked for his name. He volunteered that. Repeating falsehoods wastes everyone's time.

As for racism, there's no real evidence of that from the cops. If he files a lawsuit about that instead of wrongful arrest, I expect him to lose. It might be provocative by design, to strike back at a police force for the situations he and his son experienced.

Also, if nobody had filed charges after the arrest, maybe he'd have let it go. Everyone making themselves look bad. Maybe someone needs to go after the cops for filing a misleading incident report; nobody with any sense would watch the video and say prosecution should've been pursued.
What are you talking about???? Your rambling post makes no sense. I was responding to the poster who said the cops asked him his name, and he said “Pastor Jennings.” I said that is not a NAME.

And where in my post did I say anything about racism??? I have no idea what you’re rambling about.

Old 08-28-2022, 07:00 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The “life lesson” for this small town of about 4500 people is likely not to work out well.
The Lawsuit against the City due to Pastor Jennings stubborn attitude & the cost to the Taxpayers will be very divisive. He can congratulate himself for his monetary windfall.

He lived down the ally, not across the street, but that’s just ‘details’, sorta like refusing to give his name and then telling the Police “ take me to jail, I want you to”

The wife was fully aware that her husband had crossed a line and was doing the best she could to try and fix it. Unfortunately, when an arrest has been made, it can’t be ‘unmade’ ( as the Police Officer explained) it’s ALL recorded, and anything other than processing the person arrested could be accepting a bribe. She understood that. They explained it clearly and I bet she knows all about the Pastors short fuse and his bad attitude.

The “jerk cops” need to do a better job with 911 calls — make sure they have a FULL description of everyone involved. Black person involved? Your career is on the line, don’t make the call.

The entire town will suffer, but I guess that’s the Goal.
Do you actually believe that to be true?

I don't believe it.

And I think that will come out in the lawsuit. That they had the liberty and leeway to say ok, this has been cleared up, you're free to go.

Do you think in a case where an arrest is being made on perp appearance, and suddenly a call comes in that they've found the actual perp and the look alike is not involved, they have no freedom to release the look alike, but must arrest him?

I don't believe that.

These cops fully realized this man was not guilty of trespass, that's clear, but they still wanted to arrest him for something, because he annoyed them. And they had that discussion, on video, of what he could possibly be charged with once the original concern was found to be invalid.

Old 08-28-2022, 07:04 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times
Quote:
Correct. Without being asked, he said "I'm pastor Jennings and I live across the street". Probably not a bad way to introduce yourself to a cop. Sets the tone that he's not a thug.

Some concerning things - the cop who appears to have come after the initial confrontation was surprised that the hose was on at the end of the video. He had no idea, obviously, that when the cops arrived Pastor Jennings actually WAS in the act of watering the flowers. Which really adds a piece of the puzzle.

Secondly, the cop who was first to arrive lies to the one in charge, saying "he refused to ID himself". No he didn't. In fact he volunteered his identity and the location of his home before being asked.

So we're dealing with misinformation that was caused by the first two cops on the scene, of not informing the third decision maker of the reality of what happened.

My guess is, when they watched the audio/video all 3 swallowed hard. Upps.
Info appreciated.

I think the city is waiting for him to sue, and if he's smart and only sues for wrongful arrest, there will be a quick settlement, with undisclosed, probably too-light punishment for the first two officers. I don't think the pastor deserves a lot of money; goading an arrest was stupid and could've gotten him roughed up. The talk about police racism might be a fishing expedition, to invite others to come forward with more credible claims of racism.

Old 08-28-2022, 07:20 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
He could have said "I'm John W. smith and I live across the street at 501 Main street." Instead he only said he was a pastor, gave no home address, and then endlessly argued with the police, refusing to cooperate, whining and complaining, and always walking away from police, until finally going over the top and telling them to "arrest me" like a jerk. He was mad about some p.o.s neighbor calling the police on him, so he took it out on two guys simply trying to do their jobs.
He did all these things as he is legally allowed under the constitution and state law.
Now he is going to receive a monetary settlement because his rights were violated.

Old 08-28-2022, 07:21 PM

158 posts, read 43,966 times
this is getting more and more fishy.i just found out there is 5400 people town and neighbor does not know him this is all a set up to get tax payer money and split it between them because he knows they have cameras on so agenda was set with my son was profiled

Old 08-28-2022, 07:21 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
There is when you admit you are trespassing while the owner is away. Even if the owner said someone could water their grass, the police don't know it was him, because he refused to identify who he was.
He was not trespassing. He had permission of the owner to be there. End stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies