Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 05:51 AM

29,216 posts, read 14,499,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
No matter your politics - this band-aiding problems does not solve the problem. You have to go to the root causes and correct them to make change.

I said the same with healthcare when Obama pushed the ACA. Taxpayers fund the development of all these new drugs and yet
we have the highest prescription costs in the world.

Other countries that offer free college actually track their children to see what fields they would excel in to make sure they are an asset to society upon graduation.
I completely agree with the bolded. As far as other countries and "free" college....nothing is ever "free". Higher taxes, VAT's, etc taken from others fund these "free" programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 06:13 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,441,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
you have been corrected before. The author of PPP is CHip Roy, a Republican.

nope,PPP at first wasnt supposed to be forgiven, that was a provision added later on. But what does that matter, it was still free money. You are trying to add a pivot that doesnt change the end result. free money
1. I said mostly democrats

2. you have tried to correct me before, and failed

the PPP
H.R.7010 - Paycheck Protection Program Flexibility Act of 2020
Sponsor/author: Rep. Phillips, Dean [D-MN-3]

1st CO-sponsor:CHip Roy

Cosponsors not including originator (Phillips, Dean) 86...Democratic[56]....Republican[30]

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-...010/cosponsors

not only that but the dems later (oct 2020) wanted it bigger
Quote:
Some Republicans rejected Democratic offers they said are too costly and will add to the federal deficit,
Republicans in the Senate are set to take up a $500 billion plan Wednesday that would reauthorize small business loans, reissue a federal boost to unemployment benefits, send more than $100 billion to schools and allocate funding for testing and vaccine development. The price tag of that bill is much lower than the roughly $1.8 trillion offered by the White House this month and the $2.2 trillion package Democrats put forward.
Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., the second-ranking Senate Republican, said Monday "it would be hard" to get enough Republicans to support a bill at $1.8 trillion. Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, said Tuesday, "I don't support something of that level."
Pelosi said there are two outstanding differences. One involves the amount of aid for state and local governments, which Republicans say would amount to bailouts for mismanaged governments if too much is allocated,
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rs/3664901001/

here is Colorado Democrat senator in Oct 2020
Quote:
“Mitch McConnell’s proposal is woefully inadequate. It fails to provide long-term support to our hardest-hit businesses that have been completely or mostly shuttered during the pandemic––including concert venues, movie theaters, and performing artists. It does not make needed changes to include critical access hospitals and local newspapers and broadcasters in the Paycheck Protection Program. It fails to provide sustained support to businesses that continue to operate at limited capacity––including restaurants, gyms, salons, hotels and motels, seasonal businesses, and more. It does not do enough to help nonprofits, many of which are at the front lines of addressing the pandemic. It also fails to remove arbitrary limits on Economic Injury Disaster Loans imposed by this administration. And it fails to ensure that underserved businesses––including minority-owned, women-owned, and rural businesses––are able to access the assistance they need.
https://www.bennet.senate.gov/public...nell-ppp-stunt
dems wanted it bigger

Quote:
Pelosi, the top Democrat in the House of Representatives, also called on the Federal Reserve to allow nonprofit groups including colleges and universities access to a lending facility intended to help businesses cope with the coronavirus outbreak.
She said larger institutions, including those that serve minorities, are being excluded from the Fed’s $600 billion Main Street Lending Facility.
“Unfortunately, the administration and the Fed, as of today, are excluding nonprofits,” Pelosi told her Democratic colleagues. “This is a significant blow in particular to entities that are also ineligible for the Paycheck Protection Program.”
The Main Street Lending Facility, made possible by the $2.3 trillion coronavirus legislation that Congress passed last month, is one of the Fed’s linchpin programs for dealing with the economic impact of the coronavirus outbreak, which has shut down much of the country.
The program is aimed at helping companies with fewer than 10,000 workers or less than $2.5 billion in revenue.
https://www.reuters.com/article/heal...-idINKCN21X0D1

Last edited by workingclasshero; 08-29-2022 at 06:55 AM..

Old 08-29-2022, 06:26 AM

2,028 posts, read 844,444 times
See I’m different than most of y’all here. You do this Democrat versus republican thing on every topic. Yeah the PPP loan forgiveness is hypocrisy 101. Republicans are guilty. But that doesn’t make the student loan bribe that the Democrats are doing any better. My philosophy is the same. Get rid of all of them. Clean out our government and start over with new people who actually want to represent us. We actually listen and get rid of the swamp.

Old 08-29-2022, 06:42 AM

23,852 posts, read 14,982,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
See I’m different than most of y’all here. You do this Democrat versus republican thing on every topic. Yeah the PPP loan forgiveness is hypocrisy 101. Republicans are guilty. But that doesn’t make the student loan bribe that the Democrats are doing any better. My philosophy is the same. Get rid of all of them. Clean out our government and start over with new people who actually want to represent us. We actually listen and get rid of the swamp.
I'll vote for anybody who says they will get rid of deficit spending, congress people and their families buying individual stocks, PACs, dark money,Citizens United, gerrymandering, lobbyists and congress people who see spending in their districts as a way to get re elected.

My mantra is do not re elect anybody.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:01 AM

29,466 posts, read 16,465,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
1. Large government expenditures are supposed to be authorized by Congress. So yes it is illegal.
again, its not an expenditure, it is at best a reduction in future revenue.

Quote:
2. What proof do you need to support his argument? It’s called fairness. I’ve paid my loan obligations over these last 30+ years. So should they. If they get a $10K write off on their loan, then I as a responsible individual should get a $10K tax credit.
he has like 30 posts on this page, he only started making the current argument 2 posts ago. Im saying he changed gears and that he literally wasnt saying that a couple of posts ago, not that he cant make the argument if he wants to.

Quote:
3. Two wrongs don’t make a right. Furthermore a tax cut benefits all tax paying Americans so if you are calling that a GOP bribe your point isn’t a good one.
Reality matters more than belief, a tax cut on yachts could benefit all americans, but in reality it doesnt, so your argument isnt a good one.

Quote:
Biden using EO to get this SLF passed shows how unpopular this is to the country as a whole. He knows this would never get through Congress.
method of passage doesnt equal popularity, that is a simplistic argument that doesnt work on people like me, and that you yourself dont believe as if you did, you would have all been against Trumps EOs.

its not even an EO by the way,

the fact that yall keep trying to call it that means you either dont know what the word means, or whole heartedly believe fox news without doing your own research

Old 08-29-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
you live in NC

by this logic you should have voted 3rd party for President, Dem for Senate, and who you voted for in the House would depend on the individual district.

So who did you actually vote for ? did you put your money where your mouth is ?

Old 08-29-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
And guess what? the lockdowns started under Trump and under Republican governors. So your argument doesn't fly.

Why should someone like MTG who has nice cushy government salary as a member of congress get her loan forgiven?
because there is a difference between the two

student LOANS are a contract between an individual and a loan company for education..they CHOOSE the amount of the loan, they AGREE with the interest and terms

the PPP loans were granted with the expectation that they would be forgiven if used as intended.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ma...eene-ppp-loan/

Old 08-29-2022, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
1. I said mostly democrats

2. you have tried to correct me before, and failed

the PPP
H.R.7010 - Paycheck Protection Program Flexibility Act of 2020
Sponsor/author: Rep. Phillips, Dean [D-MN-3]
Your own link says the Flex Act is a fix on the already passed PPP.

I would call this a genuine mistake on your part, but considering your past posts, it looks more like you just didnt want to admit you were wrong a couple of pages back.

Ill give you the Congressional link since you by passed the govtrack one.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-...bill/6886/text

Quote:
116th CONGRESS
2d Session
H. R. 6886

To amend the Small Business Act and the CARES Act to modify certain provisions related to the forgiveness of loans under the paycheck protection program, to allow recipients of loan forgiveness under the paycheck protection program to defer payroll taxes, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
May 15, 2020
Mr. Roy (for himself, Mr. Phillips, Mr. Emmer, and Mr. Upton) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Small Business, and in addition to the Committee on Ways and Means, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned

A BILL
To amend the Small Business Act and the CARES Act to modify certain provisions related to the forgiveness of loans under the paycheck protection program, to allow recipients of loan forgiveness under the paycheck protection program to defer payroll taxes, and for other purposes.

Sponsor/Cosponsor Joined/Withdrawn On Referred Committees*
R Roy, Chip [R-TX21] Primary Sponsor
D Phillips, Dean [D-MN3] Original Cosponsor
Small Business

All of your posts have been of the deadline extensions(mine is loan obligations), but your actual argument is about who introduced the idea of loan forgiveness. Neither of us is technically right on that one.

Everyone under the sun claims to have had a part in the CARES Act, but as i said Chip Roy claims to have written that provision

https://roy.house.gov/media/press-re...extension-vote

Last edited by dsjj251; 08-29-2022 at 07:35 AM..

Old 08-29-2022, 07:26 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,886,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Wow... story EVERYWHERE about Rublicans that took PPP loan forgiveness, but not a word about Democrats that did, other than 'it would be incredibly difficult to figure how many and who'. What? Why would it be difficult? Give me an alphabetized list of everyone in the whole damn country that took the loan forgiveness and in an hour I'll give you a list of all the Representatives and Senators that did. What exactly is so hard?

I simply can't believe how stupid the media thinks people are.
But it is working. The media controls the followers and there are more followers than leaders. The media is a leftist tool that is indeed working and they have our kids wrapped around their little finger.

No stopping this now. They won.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Your own link says the Flex Act is a fix on the already passed PPP.

I would call this a genuine mistake on your part, but considering your past posts, it looks more like you just didnt want to admit you were wrong a couple of pages back.

Ill give you the Congressional link since you by passed the govtrack one.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-...bill/6886/text

All of your posts have been of the deadline extensions(mine is loan obligations), but your actual argument is about who introduced the idea of loan forgiveness. Neither of us is technically right on that one.

Everyone under the sun claims to have had a part in the CARES Act, but as i said Chip Roy claims to have written that provision

https://roy.house.gov/media/press-re...extension-vote
actually if you look at 6886 it did NOT become law, where as 7010 did

on the summery page you will see 6886 Latest Action: House - 05/15/2020 Referred to the Committee on Small Business, and in addition to the Committee on Ways and Means, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned.

where as the 7010
Sponsor: Rep. Phillips, Dean [D-MN-3] (Introduced 05/26/2020)
Committees: House - Small Business; Ways and Means
Latest Action: 06/05/2020 Became Public Law No: 116-142. (All Actions)

you will also note that under 6886 it went to the senate as S.3805 and again got stuck in committee , and you see the RELATED bill as 7010 which is the one that became law

and each of these amends the Cares Act.. which was, Introduced in the House as H.R. 748 (Middle Class Health Benefits Tax Repeal Act of 2019) by Joe Courtney (D-CT) on January 24, 2019[a]Passed the Senate as the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act on March 25, 2020 (96–0) with amendment
House agreed to Senate amendment on March 27, 2020 (voice vote)
Signed into law by President Donald Trump on March 27, 2020

unless I am missing something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies