Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 07:50 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
I just got wings at a pizza hut in the dallas airport. Airports are notorious for high food prices.

I ate with reckless abandon, since the wings in that airport are actually cheaper than I pay here at my local BW3.

Joke's on them...I guess?

Point is - as otto said - the inflation is weird and spotty.
Never mind the price of medical care, education, housing, new cars, used cars, gasoline, electricity, rents, groceries, etc. and enjoy the airport wings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 08:01 AM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
if you dont listen to the news and just focus on your daily life it pretty much is what you make of it
I have not had cable tv or read a newspaper in 8+ years. I go weeks w/o turning on a tv (we have local programming via an antenna). I can't tell you the last time I saw a newscast. I listen to news if I'm in my car, which isnt often, & I read news online, mostly from foreign sources because I find them to be more accurate than domestic news. I read a lot of gov't stats on .gov sites

My daily life is a dream compared to most, but I'm not thinking of myself so much as others...& their current frame of mind. Maybe hearing some positive news could help them.

I'm most concerned about American's who are in the bottom 40% especially...people who do not own homes, & if they do own a home, are deep in debt, & living paycheck to paycheck. This inflation, and rapidly rising rents have them in a tough spot.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
You forgot....we have 0% inflation for 30 days
I know of the Biden comment you are referring to, but inflation is no laughing matter to ~1/2 of Americans who are barely getting by. The good news is inflation seems to be leveling out. They need to hear some good news to offset all the gloom & doom the media spews (from what I read here, & hear on the radio).

Old 08-30-2022, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
IMO, the one thing that affects people the most in their day-to-day lives, even though the elite insist it doesn't, is inflation. Everyone I know is talking about inflation.
I agree, & its crushing the bottom 1/2 of Americans. They need to know it has leveled off for now, & it too shall pass. I hope they can focus upon the health of themselves & their families, & the love they have for each other. They need to hear soem good news for a change.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:12 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I agree, & its crushing the bottom 1/2 of Americans. They need to know it has leveled off for now, & it too shall pass. I hope they can focus upon the health of themselves & their families, & the love they have for each other. They need to hear soem good news for a change.
Do we really know if inflation "will pass" ? Inflation tends to feed on itself -- prices go up, forcing prices of other items to go up, forcing prices of other items go to up, and so forth. The last time inflation was this bad, it took major efforts including throwing the economy into a recession, to get it under control.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concreteblonde View Post
Why would all Americans be happy that there are jobs available that pay an inadequate wage?

Asking for a friend.
Because its better than having no income. People can find multiple jobs to get by on until things improve...there are lots of jobs out there, but some may need to have more than one job for a while.

There's also a huge shift to the gig economy, so that can also help some get by and provide some flexi-work hours.

The employment rates are pretty good, & that's better than having very high unemployment. Things are bad, but they could be much worse...there are jobs out there, & if you work enough hours, you can get by.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Covid is spreading as fast as ever. There are so many people who are getting it the 2nd or 3rd time. The good news is that doctors are starting to learn how to treat it. Of course, the bad news is that the vaccines aren't very effective.
The severity of it has lessened to a great extent. Most I know have mild cold-like symptoms now, & are not having to seek medical care, or be hospitalized. Things are improving...that is good news.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The border is still very bad news.
The good news is that most Americans want the border controlled, and we have an election coming up in ~9 weeks, so we have an opportunity to make the will of our majority known & enforced.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I have never met a single person in my entire life who thinks they are adequately paid. Not. One.
I agree, and its because they have not seen real poverty around the world. Those living in poverty in the USA would be considered middle class in most other places. Our perception is quite narrow.

The good news is most of those living in, or near, poverty here have: roofs over their heads, running water w/ sewer, electricty, HVAC, are not hungry, have cell phones, tv, cars or access to transportation, & access to basic healthcare, & personal freedoms.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:27 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The good news is that most Americans want the border controlled, and we have an election coming up in ~9 weeks, so we have an opportunity to make the will of our majority known & enforced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies