Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 06:35 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Yup, it will come down to the inevitable "business decision". If a Chick-Fil-A location is doing great, that location will stay open. What this really does is raise the bar for those locations that are marginal. It will likely provide enough financial justification for chains to close an increased number of stores that now suddenly fall under the category of "underperforming".

It's the "We'd rather have 5 people making $22/hr vs 10 people making $11/hr" perspective.
Except that there’s a limit to what each person can do. My husband has been a GM or area supervisor of a pizza chain for most of his adult life. While he himself can run a busy lunch alone, most other GMs cannot even do that. When they have drivers out on runs, they can only do so much. Once in my early 20s I had to take 6 runs all at once (some were to the same apt complex) and it took me a full hour to do it all. And I was considered fast among the drivers. Same for things like making food, answering phones…there is just a limit to what a human can physically do. And let’s be honest, most people in those kinds of jobs don’t have much in the way of skills yet so to pay them $22/hr means death to a business owner unless they can recoup that via revenue increases (decreasing costs - not happening - or raising prices, which has its own issues). It’s the simplest example of supply and demand that they give in high school econ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 06:41 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Mm, not really. If a burger flip is getting mandated $22/hour by a government council they're less likely to want to unionize and pay for a useless union. Market rate is pretty much that anyway. I don't live anywhere with any burger flip mandated salaries but it's basically $19-22/hr for flipping burgers here. Which makes sense, $2000 is about the lowest you'll find a studio/1bd for, $1,200 to $1,500 for a room. You can support yourself on $19-22 but it certainly isn't going to be a middle-class lifestyle.
It's shouldn't be. Students and fast food workers normally rent and have roommates. Or, still live at home. It's not supposed to be a "career". Many States have free junior college for those that want to get ahead. In & out pays 18 an hour starting here. That's way more than any other fast food joint. 23 is going to cost a lot of people hours and benefits.

Old 08-30-2022, 06:43 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
They sure are doing a great job making corporate want to make the transition to robot labor sooner than later.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/californi...231247792.html

thereafter.
Works for me, but you'll pay over $15 for a simple Big Mac combo meal, or completely automated service and no more high school kids, or unskilled adults working there anymore.

Old 08-30-2022, 06:45 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's shouldn't be. Students and fast food workers normally rent and have roommates. Or, still live at home. It's not supposed to be a "career". Many States have free junior college for those that want to get ahead. In & out pays 18 an hour starting here. That's way more than any other fast food joint. 23 is going to cost a lot of people hours and benefits.
Yup, no kid in school envisions his life long career of working the firer at Wendy's or McDonalds.

Old 08-30-2022, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Yup, no kid in school envisions his life long career of working the firer at Wendy's or McDonalds.

I mean, it might be a step up for illegals that had nothing but not school kids.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:06 PM

15,432 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Fast food jobs were never supposed to support a family or children or even a married couple. These jobs were part-time for high school kids. They don't need to qualify for an apartment.

Somewhere along the way, fast food jobs turned into a career, and now those people scream about not having enough money to pay rent or feed an entire family. Despite the job requirements not changing during that same time period.
Those jobs turning into a career is a side effect of companies moving manufacturing to China and other cheaper countries. In the past, the people working long term fast food jobs would have had a chance to get a better paying manufacturing job, and then work up the ladder there as their skills built. Now, the manufacturing jobs that remain require experience, and there's no chance for the younger folks, or those with fewer skills to get a better job. And, it's not just the lower end jobs where this is happening. When I decide to retire from my large company job, my position(which requires a 4 year college degree) will be filled by someone in South America for 25% of what I cost.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:09 PM

15,432 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Where's no evidence that raising minimum wage decreases jobs? If they could get away with it, those businesses would pay 50 cents an hour and tell the workers they should feel lucky to have a job.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:30 PM

37,174 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Ridiculous. Why don't we just go ahead and pay a snot-nosed just-out-of-high-school burger flipper engineer and doctor wages. Just get it over with. And when your Big Mac costs you $297.34, don't whine.
When they all quit because they can’t make enough to live, who’s going to flip your burger and make sure it’s completely cooked but not burned?

Old 08-30-2022, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Where's no evidence that raising minimum wage decreases jobs? If they could get away with it, those businesses would pay 50 cents an hour and tell the workers they should feel lucky to have a job.
ya sure. Find anyone going to work for that when you have govt programs for people that refuse to work and don't have to.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:38 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
When they all quit because they can’t make enough to live, who’s going to flip your burger and make sure it’s completely cooked but not burned?
The McD's near me had ordering kiosks, computer order taking at the drive thru and a bunch of illegals working the grills.

So, what will happen is that I'll be getting my burger, the illegals will be making 16-17 or more an hour like they do in most areas that are more urban and the people that "can't make enough to live" will be screwed.

Any other questions?

P.S. The irony that Cesar Chavez farm laborers union has been GUTTED over the decades by illegal labor is not lost on me. Whose policies helped do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies