Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 12:24 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,142,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Karbonites must follow their conscience as dictated by the Church of the Warming Planet.
Some people see it that way. I adjust my use of electricity because my house is powered by grid-connected solar, and it works to my financial advantage to run my appliances at night. I sell electricity to my power company when the price is high, and I use it when the price is low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2022, 12:24 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,570,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I wonder if it is starting to sink in yet that people have been duped with "climate change".
So, people wanting to move to how wonderful life is like in Las Vegas and Phoenix shouldn't worry about the lakes being low. Soon the climate, I mean the weather, will change and those cities will get all the rain water they can handle. The lakes will sooner or later be refilled.

Old 08-31-2022, 12:26 PM

1,638 posts, read 581,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
you really can't make this **** up

"California residents are being told not to charge their electric vehicles due to possible blackouts just one week after the state announced it would ban the sale of gas-powered cars in 2035."

"The state issued a heat advisory Tuesday, warning excessive heat “will stress [the] energy grid.”

“Consumers are urged to reduce energy use from 4-9 p.m. when the system is most stressed because demand for electricity remains high and there is less solar energy available,” the state said in the notice. “The top three conservation actions are to set thermostats to 78 degrees or higher, avoid using large appliances and charging electric vehicles, and turn off unnecessary lights.”

https://dailycaller.com/2022/08/31/c...power-outages/
I realize that one is not explicitly connect to the other, but it is ironic that their beloved solar energy can’t keep up with even current demand. Imagine how much more the demand will rise when even 25% of cars on the road are electric, how about 50%. They are going to be in big trouble if they don’t start finding better sources of energy (aka nuclear).

Old 08-31-2022, 12:27 PM

1,638 posts, read 581,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
There is also a movement to ban gas stovetops at restaurants, requiring them to use electrical stove tops. Some cities in the Bay Area have already banned gas cooking.

You can't make this up.
It is mind boggling. Heating anything with gas is far much more efficient than electric. Sure, a small amount of electric is renewable but not anywhere near the amount that is needed to make up for such dumb laws. Wind and solar do not and never will produce enough to cover needs.

Old 08-31-2022, 12:29 PM

25,482 posts, read 18,618,666 times
This is what happens when you let government control every aspect of your life.

If it were a free market matter, the defective company who could not provide reliable power on a consistent basis for a reasonable price would be out of business, and the company who COULD provide reliable power on a consistent basis for a reasonable price would have lots of customers.

But you folks just go on and let your entire lives be regulated away.

Old 08-31-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
So since California considers peak hours from 4-9 PM, you avoid using your oven from 4-9 PM.

And you don't see that this might be an issue?
I don't live in California, but my power company uses a Time of Use pricing model, so I adjust my use of electricity to take best advantage. In any case, oven use is not an issue. I just don't use it at night. I prep foods on the weekend when electricity is priced low, and my spouse and I eat our largest meal for lunch, so if I need to use the oven during the week, I do it around 11 am. Dinner is almost always a sandwich, salad, or something I can heat briefly using a small, energy-saving appliance like an Instant Pot.

Old 08-31-2022, 12:36 PM

5,879 posts, read 2,707,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The narrative being put forward is dishonest.

The problem isn't just demand from 4-9, it's the fact that they lose solar production around then as well.

Then they have to pay brutally for energy from other states to make the shortfall up.

But of course the govt. isn't going to admit to a problem with solar reliance and lack of base load at that time of day.
Not only that, but when the sun sets, the winds calm in California. The sun creates heating, air rises with heating, requiring air to replace that air that is heating, that's called wind. Once the sun sets, the winds decline.

Old 08-31-2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So, people wanting to move to how wonderful life is like in Las Vegas and Phoenix shouldn't worry about the lakes being low. Soon the climate, I mean the weather, will change and those cities will get all the rain water they can handle. The lakes will sooner or later be refilled.
That's not really how it works. When the soil is parched, as it is now, rain is absorbed immediately and does not run off into lakes and reservoirs. That's why we pay so much attention to the snow pack in Colorado. It's not just about the skiing.

Old 08-31-2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Well, Phoenix is actually ok with their water supply, compared to SoCal and Vegas.

Vegas is in the most precarious position.

Old 08-31-2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
That's not really how it works. When the soil is parched, as it is now, rain is absorbed immediately and does not run off into lakes and reservoirs. That's why we pay so much attention to the snow pack in Colorado. It's not just about the skiing.
In SoCal the snowpack is all about the Sierra. Thankfully, SD has a Desalination plant in Carlsbad. Expensive water, but an endless source assuming we can decrease costs to desalinate in the future. (Build a nuclear plant or two??)

Most of the fresh water consumed in California is for agriculture and agriculture for water intensive crops like almonds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies