Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 01:32 PM

4,941 posts, read 2,190,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
The ex-boyfriend was shot in the back but he was on the property banging on the door. The father was no doubt scared. Justifiable shooting.
The father has to consider what happens to his daughter if he is incapacitated. He did what he had to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2022, 01:34 PM

1,100 posts, read 421,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Yes, I understand that, but I still find the situation sad. Only a sociopath would not feel the emotional burden of ending another person's life regardless of the circumstances.
You can’t do that, label people who have had to use deadly force as sociopaths. You think this homeowner wanted this to happen?

Bottom line:

Bad guy tried to break into a locked house with intent to harm an occupant, bad guy shot dead. End of subject pretty much.

———-

I don’t want to ever take anyone’s life nor ever have to use my guns for self defense.

However, if I killed someone like that I’m sure there would be trauma but the homeowner did nothing wrong. I’m not a sociopath because I killed a scumbag burgler with intent to harm my child in my theoretical “if it were me” situation.

Old 08-31-2022, 01:35 PM

35,938 posts, read 30,482,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
When you break into someone's house, you are going up against someone whi is not perfect. Someone who might not stop shooting even when you start running away.

This is something you need to keep in mind when planning to break into the house. Hopefully the truth will persuade you to not break in in the first place. Yes, the father will have to carry with him the idea that he killed someone.

This will be balanced in his mind by the fact that he saved his daughter from a likelihood of violence, trauma, and harm. And the daughter will know that there is no longer any chance the burglar will try to attack her again. IMO these "balancing" facts carry far more weight than the father killing the assailant. In other words, the good far outweighs the bad.

The father did not choose to get into this situation. The burglar chose to put him in it. The father then did what he had to do, to protect his family. Even though he didn't like doing it.
agreed. Again though we dont know the circumstance. We dont know this was planned, spur of the moment fueled by passion. We dont know he was going to hurt anyone. I've seen people act as they normally would not when emotions are running high. Dosent mean they are going to hurt anyone. He may have been a crazy violent lunatic, The father may just have hated him, IDK.

Old 08-31-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Bullpuckey. When you are defending your family against a violent assailant, you keep shooting until you know the threat is neutralized. Anything less is gross negligence on your part.
Thats your opinion which is no better than mine.

Old 08-31-2022, 01:41 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,132,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post
You can’t do that, label people who have had to use deadly force as sociopaths. You think this homeowner wanted this to happen?

Bottom line:

Bad guy tried to break into a locked house with intent to harm an occupant, bad guy shot dead. End of subject pretty much.

———-

I don’t want to ever take anyone’s life nor ever have to use my guns for self defense.

However, if I killed someone like that I’m sure there would be trauma but the homeowner did nothing wrong. I’m not a sociopath because I killed a scumbag burgler with intent to harm my child in my theoretical “if it were me” situation.
You have misunderstood me and are trying to force a conflict where there is none. I'm not calling the man who used deadly force a sociopath. I'm assuming that he's perfectly normal and therefore does feel the emotional burden of ending another person's life. That's why I consider the situation sad.

Old 08-31-2022, 01:43 PM

18,626 posts, read 7,462,976 times
Quote:
Bullpuckey. When you are defending your family against a violent assailant, you keep shooting until you know the threat is neutralized. Anything less is gross negligence on your part.

Kudoes to the father for making sure the assailant could no longer harm his daughter. Father did exactly what he should have done... and it wasn't "to let the assailant go and thus give him a possible chance to come back and try again to harm his daughter".
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Thats your opinion which is no better than mine.
Then, the next time someone tries to break into your house, we'll send you outside to discuss it with him and see if you can prevent harm to your daughter and the rest of your family.

Hope you have Ring door camera. The video should be entertaining.

Old 08-31-2022, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
The ex-boyfriend was shot in the back but he was on the property banging on the door. The father was no doubt scared. Justifiable shooting.
You have no doubt what the father was thinking?

Old 08-31-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Then, the next time someone tries to break into your house, we'll send you outside to discuss it with him and see if you can prevent harm to your daughter and the rest of your family.

Hope you have Ring door camera. The video should be entertaining.
I dont think you are even comprehending what other people are posting. You seem to have a pretty big chip on your shoulder or just cant stomach anyone have a different opinion than you.

Old 08-31-2022, 01:57 PM

1,100 posts, read 421,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
You have misunderstood me and are trying to force a conflict where there is none. I'm not calling the man who used deadly force a sociopath. I'm assuming that he's perfectly normal and therefore does feel the emotional burden of ending another person's life. That's why I consider the situation sad.
Not trying to argue— I like constructive debate, there is no conflict. But you did paint homeowners who have killed people in self defense kind of with a broad brush.

I think this guy is more glad his daughter/house/himself are safe rather than feeling awful about the whole thing. The good vastly outweighs the bad in the homeowner’s situation in his head, that sounds terrible but idk how else to describe it.

Old 08-31-2022, 02:02 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,132,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post
Not trying to argue— I like constructive debate, there is no conflict. But you did paint homeowners who have killed people in self defense kind of with a broad brush.

I think this guy is more glad his daughter/house/himself are safe rather than feeling awful about the whole thing. The good vastly outweighs the bad, that sounds terrible but idk how else to describe it.
How so? I wrote that the story was sad and someone else chimed in that there was nothing sad about it because the man was defending his daughter. My opinion is that no matter what the circumstances, ending another person's life is a heavy burden to carry. I still think that's true. I did not call people who use deadly force in threatening situations sociopaths, and if that's what you think I meant, then you definitely misunderstood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies