Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 11:33 PM

6,105 posts, read 2,730,079 times

Advertisements

Store owners are being warned about a little-known law prohibiting the sale of whipped cream chargers to people under the age of 21 in New York. The law went into effect in November 2021, but few people are aware of it being on the books.

The legislation was sponsored by St. Senator Joseph P. Addabbo, Jr. of Queens. He says it has been a problem with young teens abusing the cans to get a quick high off of the nitrous oxide inside the cans. They are known as whippets, whippets, or whip-its.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...t-id-rcna45280

What seems to be the problem, officer?" "Underage consumption of Reddi Wip. Step out of the vehicle and put the can where I can see it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 12:00 AM

29,830 posts, read 24,922,073 times
I'm pretty sure I remember some stores refused to sell these to minors when I was growing up. It's not a new phenomena at all and some stores have responded by limiting who they sell it to. As sad as it may sound, there are adults who abuse these products, or just buy the gas and huff it. Isn't this the same stuff they give at the dentist to put people out? "Laughing gas"?

Some places also require an ID to buy cough syrup because teenagers have been using that to get high for decades now. Some stores are even carding people when they buy products like liquid vanilla flavoring, because of the alcohol content. It's like 80 proof or higher. Homeless people were drinking that and mouth wash to catch a buzz.

What will teenagers think of next to catch a quick cheap buzz???

Old 08-30-2022, 12:14 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,250,038 times
Ahhh....the old 'Whip-It' buzz. I remember it well. My friends and I sampled these a time or two. I have a fun story about using them going up the hill of a roller coaster. The foibles of youth.

Later when I was a store manager in the 90's we had to lock the Redi-Whip away because kids were sucking out the buzz and putting them back on the shelf.

This is nowhere near a new phenomenon.

Old 08-30-2022, 12:17 AM

11,030 posts, read 5,993,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I'm pretty sure I remember some stores refused to sell these to minors when I was growing up. It's not a new phenomena at all and some stores have responded by limiting who they sell it to. As sad as it may sound, there are adults who abuse these products, or just buy the gas and huff it. Isn't this the same stuff they give at the dentist to put people out? "Laughing gas"?

Some places also require an ID to buy cough syrup because teenagers have been using that to get high for decades now. Some stores are even carding people when they buy products like liquid vanilla flavoring, because of the alcohol content. It's like 80 proof or higher. Homeless people were drinking that and mouth wash to catch a buzz.

What will teenagers think of next to catch a quick cheap buzz???
That's the stuff. It was the only thing that made the anesthetic work on me. Up until then, I had the injections but the dentistry hurt like hell! But in my parts, what the kids do is buy the little canisters of the gas then release it into balloons and huff that. One buys the canisters from anywhere - it's used for gassing something or the other.

Old 08-30-2022, 12:24 AM

21,151 posts, read 19,736,448 times
...but they're smart enough to know they need a sex change operation.

Old 08-30-2022, 12:36 AM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
Ahhh....the old 'Whip-It' buzz. I remember it well. My friends and I sampled these a time or two. I have a fun story about using them going up the hill of a roller coaster. The foibles of youth.

Later when I was a store manager in the 90's we had to lock the Redi-Whip away because kids were sucking out the buzz and putting them back on the shelf.

This is nowhere near a new phenomenon.
Me and my friends outgassed many a can in the ‘80’s.

BFD.

Old 08-30-2022, 03:02 AM

7,379 posts, read 3,539,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
...but they're smart enough to know they need a sex change operation.
it’s liberal logic for you. nanny the heck out of people, meanwhile encourage sex change operations and rioting/looting when police enforce laws. they clearly have to be shielded from dangerous things like whipped cream and student loans.

i legitimately know 20 year olds who are really into baking. now will not be able to buy a key ingredient because it’s too dangerous…like when they turn 21 all of a sudden they wont inhale the can

Old 08-30-2022, 05:22 AM

1,568 posts, read 909,830 times
If you want to see something interesting just go to any Phish or Grateful Dead (style) concert, you will see people with handtrucks wheeling those 5’ tall hospital-grade scuba tanks full of nitrous-oxide blowing up balloons for people to inhale. They are everywhere. All you hear is the hissing. It’s fun, makes you feel giddy for about 10 seconds then it’s gone. You used to see the tiny little one-hit version from whipped cream cans littering the streets all over the Village back in the day. But I digress….This post has made me nostalgic.

Old 08-30-2022, 05:37 AM

5,986 posts, read 2,240,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
Store owners are being warned about a little-known law prohibiting the sale of whipped cream chargers to people under the age of 21 in New York. The law went into effect in November 2021, but few people are aware of it being on the books.

The legislation was sponsored by St. Senator Joseph P. Addabbo, Jr. of Queens. He says it has been a problem with young teens abusing the cans to get a quick high off of the nitrous oxide inside the cans. They are known as whippets, whippets, or whip-its.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...t-id-rcna45280

What seems to be the problem, officer?" "Underage consumption of Reddi Wip. Step out of the vehicle and put the can where I can see it
There is no "official ban" in Florida but I do know since the 90s there most stores that carry these will not sell them to teens. And they are usually locked up so you cant steal them.

Whip-its were popular at college parties for a while in the 90 and early 2000s and the Headshop stores around the college campuses used to be the only place to get them in the area even though many more stores sold them. Again it was sort of a pseudo ban.

Old 08-30-2022, 05:51 AM

8,772 posts, read 5,065,317 times
So they steal it.....just like alot of other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies