Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 07:58 PM

25,684 posts, read 18,770,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Buy gold now!!!!
It's down in price significantly, along with silver, palladium, and platinum. I'm sure there were some folks who made a killing with palladium recently (if they sold before the sharp spike in price ended). That was an amazing spike.

Of course, all that gold won't help you much when there is no food to be had. Right now... my money is on food storage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2022, 07:59 PM

7,237 posts, read 3,770,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
We had a thread about 2-3 months ago by an *expert* in freight delivery warning us of apocalyptic shortages by oh...6 weeks ago.

I'd like to bump some of those threads or link to shame people but when I do the threads just get locked or deleted so the effort is not worth it.
I don't know about that. But I do know what people in the trucking industry are telling me, that the covid restrictions prompted thousands of OTR truckers to retire.

Old 08-31-2022, 08:07 PM

5,978 posts, read 2,231,948 times
Brexit working as intended.

Old 08-31-2022, 08:48 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
This is the joy of living in America. We have amber waves of grain. And cows. And pigs. And chickens. And corn fields. And potatoes in Iowa. And incredible agriculture in California and Florida.

We're ok. We are a HUGE country, with enormous diversity of climate and land forms, and agricultural opportunities.

We will continue to be ok.

Old 08-31-2022, 09:16 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,462,437 times
Sam Club is raising membership fee after 9 years.
There was drought in part of Mexico,30% of the steers have died.
We have drought as well in Midwest and flooding in the south and CA.
if natural gas price keeps rising ,we could be like Europe,some factories may have to shut down.
Europe now has a shortage of glass due to natural gas prices,
I think high food prices will stay with us.
I think food prices are still manageable,we wil just have to adjust,no one will go hungry,not sure about having a room over our head,I heard millions will get eviction notice,if not foreclosure /

Old 08-31-2022, 09:42 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
I don't know about that. But I do know what people in the trucking industry are telling me, that the covid restrictions prompted thousands of OTR truckers to retire.
COVID prompted lots of people to shift jobs, retire, etc.

We've had endless discussions of truck driver shortages plaguing North America and it was highlighted with the pandemic.

That's the thing, crisis like a pandemic, a war that impact the clost of global resources such as oil, and yes inflation, make all those issues that have big cracks in their foundation , crack even more.

As for 30 dollars for span in Scotland - what was it before the pandemic?

I remember in the early 80's a friend telling me what mayonnaise cost in the UK it was triple what we paid.

Old 09-01-2022, 03:28 AM

7,324 posts, read 3,513,097 times
no one has a crystal ball, but the following in my opinion are signs of food shortages in our future

- the davos crowd and even the POTUS has mentioned food shortages due to climate change, ukraine war, etc

- price and supply of diesel. everything in your tummy was brought to you by your friend, the diesel engine

- trucker shortages

- aging fleet of trucks with not as many replacements on the road

- war on nitrogen fertilizer

- certain ports being blocked

- people like Bill Gates buying farmland and telling us we should eat bugs and pretend food

- leftist politicians will seek to ban dairy/beef products under climate change hysteria and good for your health platitudes

so there are quite a few warning signs. although we seem okay right now, i believe it doesn’t hurt to prepare so you arent waiting on a bread line one day. just like insurance for your car, no one wants to get into a car accident, but that’s a risk that comes along with life.

Old 09-01-2022, 04:29 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
I googled spam in Scotland and it says 2.95 which would make it cheaper than the US.

Someone will need to double check, but that is what a quick google search turned up.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-01-2022, 04:40 AM

27,132 posts, read 13,424,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I have been seeing the cost of products going up and up. I keep hearing that there will be shortages of potatoes,milk, sugar, flour and coffee . I believe 2023 we will see hyper -inflation of food . Even the food we think is cheap to eat will go way up in price.

This video will show just what is going on in Scotland now and of course we will see shortages to. Schools will have to find different sources for school lunches other than milk.. Cows are now on their way out so milk will be hard to find and the cost will of course go much higher.

It is getting bad in Scotland. They can't afford the food .
What a load of nonsense.

There are no food shortages on mainland Scotland and cows are not on the way out.

The Scottish Islands have some shortages but that is down to idiotic Scottish politicians making a mess in relation to the CalMac ferry fiasco, and has nothing to do with Ukraine or Cows or general food shortages.

The Scots and the rest of the UK have plenty of food, however like every where else it's becoming expensive, and those on low wages or welfare benefits have been hit hardest.

The new UK Prime Minister, is to be announced this Monday (5th September) and the new PM will be announcing a number of new measures to help ease the current global economic crisis and energy charges.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-01-2022 at 04:53 AM..

Old 09-01-2022, 05:20 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
We had a thread about 2-3 months ago by an *expert* in freight delivery warning us of apocalyptic shortages by oh...6 weeks ago.

I'd like to bump some of those threads or link to shame people but when I do the threads just get locked or deleted so the effort is not worth it.
It will happen gradually. In 2023 we will have a clearer view if we will get as bad as Scotland. Fact is I know that Europe is experiencing bad inflation from people who are posting how it is killing them in the wallet.

I am not going to rejoice if people start starving because of high food prices. In my area we had a food line at a church almost a mile long to get a box of food because the food is so expensive. Oh, there is plenty of food on the shelves , but many products doubled in price. If you haven't noticed , you are not being truthful.

There are 330,000,00 people in the United States that have to eat every day. If the food gradually tapers to fewer products we will see how bad it really is. I hope it is not bad. And I also hope food prices will come down . There are people who can't afford to pay their electric bill. 20 million of Americans are behind in their electric bill . Winter is coming and heating cost money too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies