Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you made donations to races outside your catchment?
Only my personal options 2 22.22%
To specific PACs 1 11.11%
To specific races out of state 4 44.44%
To specific races IN my state 5 55.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 08:23 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how many people put their money to work as well as their posting ability and donate to races outside their own catchment—
Other states or districts that you don’t live in—

I do—just made donation to the Democrat running against Stefanik in NY state
He seems well qualified
Probably wont win but the DNC is not throwing much support into his campaign which I think is bad policy—
He could offer more moderate Republicans a choice
And I have done for other elections in other states

Old 09-01-2022, 11:47 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
Is the "Only my personal options" the way to answer "no" to the poll question?

Old 09-01-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Is the "Only my personal options" the way to answer "no" to the poll question?
My bad
I guess I should have added a NO option
Cant edit the poll now

Old 09-01-2022, 12:37 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Most of the donations I have made have been to specific candidates that I could vote for. I think I have made a small donation to the DCCC or DSCC in the past. The only candidate I remember donating to outside of my state or district was Jamie Harrison's Senate campaign in 2020 which was around $50 (my parents live on the SC side of the Charlotte suburbs so I do have some connection to the area)

Old 09-01-2022, 02:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I have never contributed to any race, because I have never seen a candidate running for any office, local or national, that I liked well enough to support financially. Well, maybe John Kennedy, but I was only 9 years old when he ran. I have never belonged to any party, but have voted as independent for 52 years, voting for the best person regardless of their party. I have voted for democrats, republicans and libertarians, but never found much enthusiasm for any of them. They are either too far left, too far right, too old and even senile, running on one issue, or have been bought by one corporation or another.

Old 09-01-2022, 02:51 PM

1,517 posts, read 541,364 times
What's my $5 going to do when guys like Leonard Leo have $1.6 billion to donate. It's pointless, it's a hard no for me.

ps - I realize there are mega donators on the dem side as well.

Old 09-01-2022, 03:03 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
I am not donating this year, but in the last few election cycles I have given money to specific candidates. I did so in years past as well, but I stepped it up about ten years ago. I only make small donations but sometimes I repeat them.

I find the fundraising emails annoying, and I have taken to unsubscribing immediately when a new one shows up.

I am against people and corporations or Pacs donating across state lines. I would prefer that only people located in a district could donate for that district. There is a serious problem of well heeled individuals and corporations buying influence across the country. Our congresspeople are on a first name basis with these out of district whales, and they don't really know us and our concerns.

Old 09-01-2022, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I am not donating this year, but in the last few election cycles I have given money to specific candidates. I did so in years past as well, but I stepped it up about ten years ago. I only make small donations but sometimes I repeat them.

I find the fundraising emails annoying, and I have taken to unsubscribing immediately when a new one shows up.

I am against people and corporations or Pacs donating across state lines. I would prefer that only people located in a district could donate for that district. There is a serious problem of well heeled individuals and corporations buying influence across the country. Our congresspeople are on a first name basis with these out of district whales, and they don't really know us and our concerns.
I take your point about only people within a district being a viable donor or within a state for state race
But when the rules pretty much don’t exist regarding donations, there are some races more worthy than others…and there are some politicians who I believe should never take office again
So I donate to their opponents at times

Old 09-01-2022, 06:10 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I take your point about only people within a district being a viable donor or within a state for state race
But when the rules pretty much don’t exist regarding donations, there are some races more worthy than others…and there are some politicians who I believe should never take office again
So I donate to their opponents at times
Frankly I do the same.

There is a difference between the ideal and the practical. We know how the game is played and in the real world there is no significant campaign finance reform on the horizon, so we get in and fight the fight like the rest of them.

Sadly though, the system is broken, and my representative might not really represent me and the neighbors. He or she may very well be representing other people far away, or large companies. Many don't even bother with town halls or local meet and greets, instead they put time in at the phone bank soliciting donations from people they have met at private fundraising dinners and have talked to often enough that they remember their names and their business.

So with my meager ten or twenty bucks I promote representatives in other areas who share my views, or appear to, in the remote hope that they will represent me. It should not have to be this way.

Old 09-01-2022, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Frankly I do the same.

There is a difference between the ideal and the practical. We know how the game is played and in the real world there is no significant campaign finance reform on the horizon, so we get in and fight the fight like the rest of them.

Sadly though, the system is broken, and my representative might not really represent me and the neighbors. He or she may very well be representing other people far away, or large companies. Many don't even bother with town halls or local meet and greets, instead they put time in at the phone bank soliciting donations from people they have met at private fundraising dinners and have talked to often enough that they remember their names and their business.

So with my meager ten or twenty bucks I promote representatives in other areas who share my views, or appear to, in the remote hope that they will represent me. It should not have to be this way.
I look at it as serving the greater good
As a Democrat in TX for 97% of my adult life I learned that democracy often means not getting my view in a candidate or policy
So believing IN democracy meant losing gracefully
Something the MAGA crowd doesn’t agree with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies