Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 04:33 PM

8,232 posts, read 3,492,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Remember -- these are nationwide scores -- and not all of the 'nation' kept kids remote for so long.

So it would be more beneficial to have an analysis of the schools that did stay 100% remove for longer and see if their scores dropped at a large rate.

It is important because I can seem remoted learning becoming an option for other scenarios. Back when hurricane Katrina crashed into Louisiana and area, our governor in Georgia closed schools for a few days because there was concern about the shortage of gas. (Truth is school boards had purchased the gas they had and it didn't do any good at all to cancel schools for a gas shortage in Louisiana but Perdue wasn't always the brightest bulb in the box).

Now I can see snow days, etc...having some remote access so kids don't lose valuable learning time.

You know what I miss -- hearing the kids playing in the streets. 2020 it was fun to sit out on our porch and watch all the kids playing games together. Lots of space to runaround, etc. It was fun.

Today we had the first day in while with no rain -- and I haven't seen one kid outside. Can't hear any giggles or shouting...it is kind of sad. The pool was completely empty.
Around here kids were not supposed to play with each other and if too many people were seen together there was a hotline to report it. Playgrounds were closed for over a year. Water fountains are still closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2022, 04:37 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Around here kids were not supposed to play with each other and if too many people were seen together there was a hotline to report it. Playgrounds were closed for over a year. Water fountains are still closed.
Kids played outside. I did notice they didn't huddle together -- families stayed together but not lots of close contact. People weren't crazy. We didn't have the same rules as other places.

But that's my point....here in South Carolina kids were not in 'remote' learning for as long as some other school areas that were much harder hit by the pandemic, but interesting our test scores did decline.

So was it the remote learning?

Old 09-11-2022, 05:30 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Remember -- these are nationwide scores -- and not all of the 'nation' kept kids remote for so long.

So it would be more beneficial to have an analysis of the schools that did stay 100% remove for longer and see if their scores dropped at a large rate.

It is important because I can seem remoted learning becoming an option for other scenarios. Back when hurricane Katrina crashed into Louisiana and area, our governor in Georgia closed schools for a few days because there was concern about the shortage of gas. (Truth is school boards had purchased the gas they had and it didn't do any good at all to cancel schools for a gas shortage in Louisiana but Perdue wasn't always the brightest bulb in the box).

Now I can see snow days, etc...having some remote access so kids don't lose valuable learning time.

You know what I miss -- hearing the kids playing in the streets. 2020 it was fun to sit out on our porch and watch all the kids playing games together. Lots of space to runaround, etc. It was fun.

Today we had the first day in while with no rain -- and I haven't seen one kid outside. Can't hear any giggles or shouting...it is kind of sad. The pool was completely empty.
I’ve seen the local data. The district in my area that did the absolute worst and had the biggest losses was the one that kept kids home the longest. The numbers are out there.

Closing schools for a few days due to snow or weather is very different from closing it for months on end. Some kids never set foot in a classroom for a whole school year.

It’s also known that kids are experiencing much higher rates of depression and anxiety and it is tied to Covid restrictions.

Long term remote learning was a bad idea.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:32 PM

8,232 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Kids played outside. I did notice they didn't huddle together -- families stayed together but not lots of close contact. People weren't crazy. We didn't have the same rules as other places.

But that's my point....here in South Carolina kids were not in 'remote' learning for as long as some other school areas that were much harder hit by the pandemic, but interesting our test scores did decline.

Kind of hard for kids to learn when the adults have them stressed out about everything.

Old 09-12-2022, 06:00 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:

Please note the words “as long” were used instead of “at all”.

Remote learning only works better than in-person learning for a very small portion of the population. While online learning is fine for limited topics and reinforcement of certain skills, without an adult interacting with the student and the content, most students can not make academic gain, particularly with unfamiliar content. We have long understood most students can not learn beyond memorizing facts strictly by reading textbooks, this is just a modern twist.

Old 09-12-2022, 06:10 AM

3,113 posts, read 938,998 times
Quote:

Do you know what local school districts did?

In Florida, the governor allowed schools to open for the fall 2020, even encouraged schools to get kids back in the classroom.

But in Miami, which is run by Democrats, they fought him every step of the way. I do know from friends who had kids in the Bal Harbour schools (Miami-Dade school district) that fall did not begin at full capacity if it even began at all to be fully in-person. From what I remember, kids would attend some days (if their parents felt like it) and other days they'd do remote learning. This was ostensibly to keep classroom sizes down, but still plenty of remote learning.

I don't worry about the kids in the Bal Harbour schools - their parents will get them tutoring on the side if they fall behind. I worry about the kids in poorer parts of Miami-Dade where this went on.

But basically this was a longwinded way of asking you - did all school districts in South Carolina open to in-person schooling based on the governor's orders, or did some do their own thing like they did in Florida?

Old 09-12-2022, 06:13 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
I wonder why children did so much better during the Spanish Flu of 1918, when schools were also closed?

Then, teachers mailed a weeks worth of homework on Monday, and the students returned the work on Friday (it was the day of twice daily mail delivery).

Anyway, that generation of children appeared to have done well, many growing up to be military or political leaders.

Old 09-12-2022, 06:31 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I wonder why children did so much better during the Spanish Flu of 1918, when schools were also closed?

Then, teachers mailed a weeks worth of homework on Monday, and the students returned the work on Friday (it was the day of twice daily mail delivery).

Anyway, that generation of children appeared to have done well, many growing up to be military or political leaders.
They were closed for weeks to months in some places and many never closed at all. In the US they were abnormal in many places for more than an entire school year.

They also didn’t do remote school. Maybe kids would have been better off just staying home without that ridiculous attempt at education.

Old 09-12-2022, 06:38 AM

3,113 posts, read 938,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

I don't believe schools were uniformly closed during the spanish flu. There was no federal response to the spanish flu, it was left up to the states, local districts, without really and acknowledgment it was even happening from the federal government.

So I doubt schools were closed everywhere, and more than 1-2 months at a time.

We have this thing called the internet now, and zoom, which made some school administrators overconfident. But teachers (many not all) were not motivated to work, nor were the students to learn. So it was one big failure, but kept going in perpetuity in some areas due to fear mongering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies