Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2022, 10:03 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times

Advertisements

Hapless Response to Coronavirus Pandemic Erased Two Decades of Progress in Math and Reading

That's what happens during a global pandemic and people refuse to believe it or would rather politicize it and construct conspiracy theories and refuse to take the vaccine. I suppose there was a similar setback in other countries and historically from the Spanish Flu and other major pandemics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2022, 10:03 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Sigh.

Masks do not work, as decades of research and two years of recent real world data shows.
IF a viral load is reduced, then they DO WORK! It's really really REALLY basic. If it stops people from breathing in a piece of spit (a BIG viral load), guess what, it works (a.k.a. helps)! Please, think before you type. Did you notice I didn't say it "prevents" it? This doesn't need to be political.

If we all got COVID from breathing in a particle or 1000 of them, all of us would get it immediately. I have been breathing the virus for MONTHS and dodged it. Hell, I dodged it at the same party as my wife. I would say, they "don't work" in a school environment. But that is because it's a matter of time before you have plenty of viral load. Especially with kids wearing them 1/2 way down their faces. Duration matters. Proximity matters. Fresh air matters. They all influence the total load. Including a face diaper. Why is this so tough to grasp?

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 09-07-2022 at 10:12 AM..

Old 09-07-2022, 10:10 AM

17,602 posts, read 6,890,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
IF a viral load is reduced, then they DO WORK! It's really really REALLY basic. If it stops people from breathing in a piece of spit (a BIG viral load), guess what, it works (a.k.a. helps)! Please, think before you type. Did you notice I didn't say it "prevents" it? This doesn't need to be political.
Sigh. There isn’t a RCT that shows what you’re still claiming despite the absence of evidence to support it. It’s a religious belief for you.

Old 09-07-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Sigh. There isn’t a RCT that shows what you’re still claiming despite the absence of evidence to support it. It’s a religious belief for you.
It has nothing to do with religion or politics. I could point to many mask studies (and I have in past posts). If you cannot grasp that a viral load is reduced by stopping spit (N95’s via static attraction will drop the load even more), then there is no hope for you!

You are obviously fixated on factual proof that masks don’t prevent the virus from escaping a mask. By definition, it cannot completely prevent getting COVID. Rather, it reduces the total load. It’s math. Talking outside reduces your viral load. Factually you can get COVID by talking outside. So what, are you going to argue that “talking outside” doesn’t prevent getting COVID? Duh!

This ties into this thread. Some people are really bad at math and science!

Old 09-07-2022, 11:04 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
"Sometimes our old posts don't age well."

That is the understatement of the century.

The frustration with posters like suzy is that for 2+ years, they doubled down on those "official channels" - even with presented with alternative evidence and personal observations. Many many posters were correct when they said that breakthrough infections were common, the vaccinated were still getting covid, the vaccines weren't nearly as effective as claimed, an infinite amount of boosters were going to be necessary, yada yada yada.

And even worse, lockdowns and school closures were not only warranted, there would be no ill effects from them.

Posters like suzy claimed the exact opposite of all those views.

And those same posters continue to double down on whatever Big Pharma or Big Government says today.

How can any pro covid vaxxer look at the last 2+ years and not think that maybe they shouldn't be trusting the party line?

But now they excuse how wrong they were with "well, science has changed". No, science hasn't changed - the carefully cultivated science YOU trusted has changed.
Suzy never "doubled down on the official channels", whatever those are, and she has acknowledged that the effectiveness of the vaccines wanes. She never commented on "lockdowns and school closures" at all.

The virus changed, which you cannot seem to understand.

Old 09-07-2022, 11:44 AM

17,355 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Suzy never "doubled down on the official channels", whatever those are, and she has acknowledged that the effectiveness of the vaccines wanes. She never commented on "lockdowns and school closures" at all.

The virus changed, which you cannot seem to understand.
It's you who failed to understand that the virus would mutuate.

Posters like you said the vaccine was almost 100%, that boosters may not even be required, that if you got vaccinated the vast majority wouldn't contract nor transmit covid, that breakthrough infections were exceedingly rare and on and on.

Old 09-07-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
[b]

The frustration with posters like suzy is that for 2+ years, they doubled down on those "official channels" - even with presented with alternative evidence and personal observations. Many many posters were correct when they said that breakthrough infections were common, the vaccinated were still getting covid, the vaccines weren't nearly as effective as claimed, an infinite amount of boosters were going to be necessary, yada yada yada.
Before you take your self-proclaimed victory lap, understand that COVID today is a nothing burger as compared to the early pre-Omicron version. As in, a night and day difference. Nearly a year ago, I posted accordingly.

And there is positively no doubt that the vaccine caused people problems (especially young males). I posted that too. Still, the vaccine was a game changer! Now. Like Y2K and the killer bees, the media LOVES clicks and it becomes overblown. And as a country, we blew all kinds of $$'s. Like giving away "loans" to thousands of businesses that actually benefited from COVID. Click on this biased link https://projects.propublica.org/coro...ch?q=55760&v=2 . On it, you can type in your zipcode and see the PIGS that took $$ and now are forgiven. Those are the same people who are bitching about forgiven student loans (which I equally despise). you can thank Mr. MAGA for starting that welfare giveaway.

Quote:

And even worse, lockdowns and school closures were not only warranted, there would be no ill effects from them.
Only not-so-smart people would have this POV. Sorry, Suzy isn't dumb. Rather, she is smart.

Saying that, I agree with her POV that parents should parent. When our kids were growing up, I would work with our kids pretty much every night on ways to solve math and science problems. Often, an hour a night especially in their development years. The end result was tested in the top 1% in math and science. One is an ER doc, and the other is a dentist.

If I lived in Chicago (a craphole IMO) and had school-age kids during the Zoom teaching era, I would make sacrifices to guarantee my kids landed on top. But that's called parenting. Too many people are not very good parents. It takes work to be good at anything. And if they fell behind, I would be putting them in summer programs.

Old 09-07-2022, 11:57 AM

17,602 posts, read 6,890,573 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with religion or politics. I could point to many mask studies (and I have in past posts). If you cannot grasp that a viral load is reduced by stopping spit (N95’s via static attraction will drop the load even more), then there is no hope for you!

You are obviously fixated on factual proof that masks don’t prevent the virus from escaping a mask. By definition, it cannot completely prevent getting COVID. Rather, it reduces the total load. It’s math. Talking outside reduces your viral load. Factually you can get COVID by talking outside. So what, are you going to argue that “talking outside” doesn’t prevent getting COVID? Duh!

This ties into this thread. Some people are really bad at math and science!
Thanks to "logic" like yours, the Biden administration is **still** forcing 2-year old toddlers enrolled in Head Start to wear masks all day long, as of today:

Quote:
The strict Head Start guidelines were established last November during the surge in Delta variant infections, and they remain in place in half the states, including those throughout the Northeast and on the West Coast. In addition to universal masking, they require that Head Start staff members be vaccinated.

Even in November of last year — ten months ago, mind you — the mandate was entirely ridiculous. The science was already clear that children were not susceptible to COVID-19 and that schools did not act as vectors for increased community transmission. That data had been readily available from UK studies since June 2020, and data from states that had ended mask mandates later that year clearly demonstrated the same thing.

And that doesn’t address the ridiculous notion that toddlers can remain effectively masked in any way for more than a few minutes at a time. It was a nonsense policy by November 2021, and it’s even more absurd now.
Link: https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2022...dstart-n494881

Congratulations on succeeding in forcing 2-year olds to wear a mask all day long. Maybe you should back off with your disinformation at some point soon.

Old 09-07-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
It's you who failed to understand that the virus would mutuate.

Posters like you said the vaccine was almost 100%, that boosters may not even be required, that if you got vaccinated the vast majority wouldn't contract nor transmit covid, that breakthrough infections were exceedingly rare and on and on.
Are you suggesting that you knew early on boosters were needed, and that the vaccinated wouldn't contract nor transmit COVID, and those breakthrough infections wouldn't happen? If so, impressive! Please share those early posts.

The goal was to keep people from dying and flooding the hospitals. The grand slam was for the virus to be semi-stable so that the vaccine would work long-term. We agree, that's what we were sold. Obviously, the vaccine worked early on. even today, it still helps those who have not gotten COVID recently by creating T and B lymphocytes. If I was under 50 years old and healthy, there would be NO WAY I would be getting vaccinated. But in March of 2021, absolutely! I'd do it again. It's all about risk-reward. IMO, Paxlovid is yet another game changer. So combined with that (literally) in my back pocket plus the wimpy current version of COVID, there is no reason for me to get a booster.

On both sides of the political spectrum, people seem to lack critical thinking skills. Oddly, people cannot see their bias come out. Since social media became popular, I'm really disappointed in mankind. We are screwed.

Old 09-07-2022, 12:12 PM

17,355 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting that you knew early on boosters were needed, and that the vaccinated wouldn't contract nor transmit COVID, and those breakthrough infections wouldn't happen? If so, impressive! Please share those early posts.

The goal was to keep people from dying and flooding the hospitals. The grand slam was for the virus to be semi-stable so that the vaccine would work long-term. We agree, that's what we were sold. Obviously, the vaccine worked early on. even today, it still helps those who have not gotten COVID recently by creating T and B lymphocytes. If I was under 50 years old and healthy, there would be NO WAY I would be getting vaccinated. But in March of 2021, absolutely! I'd do it again. It's all about risk-reward. IMO, Paxlovid is yet another game changer. So combined with that (literally) in my back pocket plus the wimpy current version of COVID, there is no reason for me to get a booster.

On both sides of the political spectrum, people seem to lack critical thinking skills. Oddly, people cannot see their bias come out. Since social media became popular, I'm really disappointed in mankind. We are screwed.
lmao

Posters here said that the vaccines were so wonderous that boosters may not even be necessary - and if they were, it wouldn't be for a long time. Those posters weren't me.

Posters here said that the vaccinated wouldn't contract nor transmit covid. Those posters weren't me.

Posters here said that breakthrough infections would be exceedingly rare. Those posters weren't me.

I never said that the vaccines would work and they would work long term. That wasn't me either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies