Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2022, 02:34 PM

9,685 posts, read 11,093,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
So, Pamela Plaisance and her $24,000 PPP loan that was issued May '20 and forgiven a year later was a pig?

A dentist, who got a "mere" $74K while there was zero dental visits (except maybe emergencies) for many months?

George Haapoja, a truck driver business owner, slopped for $27K?

Would someone whose little full-time self-employed business was tutoring or teaching music and that got cancelled for a year+, would they have "deserved" a forgivable PPP loan?

Undoubtedly, there was unintended misuse and yes even fraud in the PPP program. It was part of a package called the CARES Act introduced by a Democrat that passed the Senate unanimously and the House with just 6 nays. Was it negotiated between Republicans including Trump and the Democrats? Sure.

Did anyone whose income wasn't disrupted the first 12 weeks of Covid need a stimmy check? If yes, why?
I wasn't clear. Some people deserved it! But most didn't. And... It was a LOAN! Damn near everyone was "forgiven". Pigs! I said I was upset with people who benefited from COVID and took the money. In my zip code (both homes) everyone was forgiven! Many industries prospered. Like our town boat dealership (they sold a massive amount of $150K-$200K wakeboards, dock, lifts, etc. At full boat retail! (pun intended) They got $350K. I won't patronize them. A local RE agent who has sold millions of dollars of AZ $1M-$3M homes in our hood grabbed $53K. It was forgiven. Never mind she sent out a mailer about how many homes she sold and is in the top 1%.

I'm fiscally conservative. No one in politics today cares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2022, 02:35 PM

17,198 posts, read 14,482,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I am responding to people who are claiming I have said things I have not, including "kids will recover it all".

I said, "It is not even a sure thing that they [boosters] will be [needed], yet."

That was in May 2021, when no one was sure if and when boosters would be needed. The one year bit was optimistic, as it turns out, but there was no way to know for sure at that time.

I provided a source that supported what I said at that time, February, 2021

What do you want to bet that it will be another "at that time" post?
You asked me to provide proof that you said those things. I did.

You said it. You said all of it.

And you were wrong.

The point is, people were telling you AT THAT TIME that you were wrong.

Old 09-07-2022, 02:36 PM

37,029 posts, read 41,087,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
One and DONE
One and done for the initial vaccination. One dose, not two.

Please link to J&J claiming a booster would never be needed.

Old 09-07-2022, 02:37 PM

37,029 posts, read 41,087,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
You asked me to provide proof that you said those things. I did.

You said it. You said all of it.

And you were wrong.
It was true at the time I said it.

Old 09-07-2022, 02:40 PM

17,198 posts, read 14,482,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It was true at the time I said it.
It was not true. You believed it was true.

Old 09-07-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
the answers to your questions are fairly obvious, and you're correct on the "scientific distinction". The problem is, the "pro-masking" side was generally as far to the "they prevent Covid" (not just reduce the load; see "oh yeah, so why do doctors wear surgical masks every day?") as the posters you're attempting to debate might argue that there's not any mask that would have any effect.
We agree ^^. And their POV was categorically false.

Now I will say, there were people busy talking about getting sick from masks etc. They too were pushing B.S. Yes, doctors do wear masks for hours. Our son had mask chafing, acne, and red marks on his face especially the bridge of his nose. So wearing masks wasn't a walk in the park. But breathing your own air and getting sick was semi-idiotic. The bottom line is people believe their team's POV. I really wish people could just step back and realize that their bias is influencing reality.

Old 09-07-2022, 02:52 PM

4,637 posts, read 4,945,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
We agree ^^. And their POV was categorically false.

Now I will say, there were people busy talking about getting sick from masks etc. They too were pushing B.S. Yes, doctors do wear masks for hours. Our son had mask chafing, acne, and red marks on his face especially the bridge of his nose. So wearing masks wasn't a walk in the park. But breathing your own air and getting sick was semi-idiotic. The bottom line is people believe their team's POV. I really wish people could just step back and realize that their bias is influencing reality.
So much of what you're saying sounds like nuance for the sake of nuance.

The vast majority of people hated wearing masks and it made them feel miserable on many levels, and mass masking provided no discernible health benefit to the public. That should really be the end of the discussion. What is the utility of arguing over whether your son's acne from masks was "more real" than someone thinking they came down with something because they weren't getting enough fresh air? Seriously, who cares?

Old 09-07-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
So much of what you're saying sounds like nuance for the sake of nuance.

The vast majority of people hated wearing masks and it made them feel miserable on many levels, and mass masking provided no discernible health benefit to the public. That should really be the end of the discussion. What is the utility of arguing over whether your son's acne from masks was "more real" than someone thinking they came down with something because they weren't getting enough fresh air? Seriously, who cares?
It's not a nuance. Follow along. Quality masks help a lot more. Crappy masks barely help. If you are talking to me 3 feet away and indoors and the Delta variant was going on, I wanted you to wear a mask to increase my probability of not getting a higher viral load. And I'm going to be speeding up the conversation or backing up. Because I understand the longer we talk and IF that person is infected, I increase my chances of getting COVID. It's pretty basic. If two people are wearing their crappy masks and gabbing on and on, they have a false sense of security. In summary, the truth is in between both camps. Nothing new...

When I was vaccinated and Delta was going on, I don't care about masking up. and with Onicron, I rolled the dice just like i would if you had the flu or cold.

Re: wearing. EVERYONE hated to wear masks. Not just the "vast majority".

My point about acne etc had to do with pro-max people arguing that "doctors do it all day long". Yep, and it SUCKS! Why didn't you get it the 1st time?

Old 09-07-2022, 03:08 PM

Quote:
you say "most", I say "some". We knew before they were approved that IF the companies kept up their bills for the 90-120 days they were talking about THEN the loans would be forgiven.

The problem was with having 2 basic qualifying criteria:

1. under 500 employees
2. keep up the payroll

If "teachers" had been laid off since they weren't teaching in the classroom for 7 hours, or the school janitor laid off because they weren't AT the school cleaning bathrooms, then they should have gotten paid...errr, except they did.
Eyebee. I'm going to go out on a limb. You got some PPE $'s. Am I right?

re: qualifying criteria. I factually know 2 people/companies that work solo. Both got $$. Zero employees. As to how I don't know.

Old 09-07-2022, 03:18 PM

Back to the topic at hand. If I had a young family in grade school (I would be younger too), I would be upset when schools taught via Zoom. I'd forgive older teachers or ones with health problems. Selfishly, I don't care. Quit. I'm pretty passionate about my kids doing well in school. So it seems we would be putting in some teaching hours.

To point out some more irony, some of the parents who are bitching the most on this forum certainly found dozens of hours to post during COVID. Maybe they should have been teaching their kids?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies