Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2022, 10:02 AM

3,113 posts, read 938,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I agree with the latter, given our state of lack of preparedness, but not with the former. The former lacked the foresight of distribution requirements of necessary protective wear, and the study of how different plagues spread. We had nothing in place for respiratory spread. Frankly, the 6' separation and washing one's hands and covering ones face goes back to the 19th century. If BG's studies and rehearsals had been effective, we wouldn't have been subject to the preponderance of misinformation. Especially only collecting and reporting data on positive test results. We've NEVER received the stats on critical care admissions to hospitals and fatalities in relation to those with COVID antibodies. Positive test results, given the lack of test distributions was a skewed view, given that people without symptoms would rarely go for testing.

I strongly believe that our local public health departments should have walk-in clinics available, based on population distribution for people to go to, rather than wait for profit driven hospitals to respond to such threats, after the fact. These walk-in clinics could have coordinated the testing and quarantines much faster, and we would not have had to put so many people out of work. More public health workers in the field could have had preventative gear already stocked, so the stupid cloth masks wouldn't have contributed to the spread of the illness.

So, no we were not prepared.
I'm not saying our approach was effective (quite the contrary!) I'm just saying we had a plan, and that plan was wrong.

Think of this analogy, team A spends time practicing a game plan for its upcoming game with team B. But that game plan was wrong, and team A gets walloped anyways. It's not that team A didn't practice, it's that team A practiced incorrectly. That's us.

We focused too much attention on unimportant things (testing the asymptomatic, and trying to isolate them even when we had runaway transmission and there was no putting the genie back in the bottle). We relied too much on vaccines. We pursued a 0-COVID strategy, albeit half-heartedly (one that would never work but leave economic ruin in its wake).

If reducing burdens on hospitals was our #1 goal (and it sort of morphed into that after 0-COVID failed) then we could have put these resources on our most vulnerable - nursing home residents. Monoclonals made available to every nursing home would have saved 100,000s of lives in 2020 through 2021 as well as hospital resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2022, 02:26 AM

3,836 posts, read 1,784,958 times
When schools went to zoom teaching during the pandemic, my daughter was learning so little that I bought a partial curriculum and began teaching her at home.

For our family, homeschooling became a necessity because her school was not giving her the support she needed. Then across the country I and many other parents saw what some teachers wanted to teach students and pushing an agenda that is divisive, false and not okay.

If it wasn't for parents seeing some of those things online during the pandemic we may not have known what was going on in the classroom (virtual or in-person). Homeschooling went up across the country as a result, so in some ways it was a blessing.

Now for children that do not have involved, supportive parents I do think it's sad kids missed out in their learning.

I don't think this setback in test scores will be permanent, it most likely is temporary and kids will get back on track. I am not a big fan of standardized tests anyhow to gauge a child's skills in learning.

And as someone mentioned our education numbers weren't impressive before the pandemic, it has needed improvement for years.

Old 09-06-2022, 02:31 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
I don't know of a country that treated their kids worse than the USA. In Europe, schools were kept largely open.

For whatever reason, in the 'land of the brave' teachers were too scared to go back to the classroom.
That reason was teachers unions and the Dem politicians they own. Truly disgraceful, especially when the more open states like Florida ended up with comparable death rates to lockdown states like California.

Old 09-06-2022, 02:34 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Quote:
Ok, so, rewind the time, it's 2021. No kids have access to the vaccines. Were you in favor or not of school closures?
This is exactly what happened in Florida and the data after the fact showed opening up was the right move.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/florida...rs-11615973402

Old 09-06-2022, 02:44 AM

24,619 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I remember some posters on CD not caring one bit that kids were being forced remote AND he kids didn’t even all have a computer or Wi-Fi. They were totally fine with it.
Correct, they didn’t give a damn. I remember when folks were cheering on lockdowns, international border closures, mask mandates, people wearing masks inside their car and outside, and vaccine mandates. Global shipping and supply chains closures. PCR tests, quarantines, and trucker mandated tests.

You would’ve thought it was an Ebola outbreak.

Well now the chickens are coming home to roost and we’re in a recession. Meanwhile COVID is still flourishing because the vaccine doesn’t stop you from catching or spreading it.

Well done woke progressives. Thank you for keeping us safe.

Old 09-06-2022, 06:12 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Ok, so, rewind the time, it's 2021. No kids have access to the vaccines. Were you in favor or not of school closures?
It’s a bit odd that you care about holding Suzy’s feet to the fire about her views 2 years ago, I mean you only joined the forum a couple of months ago. Curious why you even have a dog in this historical debate between two long term posters.

Old 09-06-2022, 06:14 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
It’s a bit odd that you care about holding Suzy’s feet to the fire about her views 2 years ago, I mean you only joined the forum a couple of months ago. Curious why you even have a dog in this historical debate between two long term posters.
People can have strong opinions on something that had such a major impact on society.

Do you think school closures were worth it?

Old 09-06-2022, 06:17 AM

17,617 posts, read 6,905,165 times
Quote:
She was wrong two years ago, continues to be wrong, and refuses to admit it.

Do you admit you were wrong yet?

Old 09-06-2022, 06:21 AM

3,113 posts, read 938,532 times
Quote:
It's even more odd why you care that I care. What are you hinting at Rufus

Anyways, Suzy's position on COVID currently makes me suspect she was for school closures in 2021 and especially 2020. I could do a search of her posts, but I don't care enough to do that. So I asked her. She claims she took no position on school closures, and I left it at that.

I do think a lot of you who were vaccine cheerleaders back in 2021 now have eggs on your face. But i'm not the type of guy to rub it in! People make mistakes, I just hope you learned from it so you're not so eager to get every vaccine they put in front of you, but somehow I doubt it.

Old 09-06-2022, 06:22 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
People can have strong opinions on something that had such a major impact on society.

Do you think school closures were worth it?
Schools were closed a lot less where I live, so I can’t really speak to that from experience. I think in the beginning, when no one knew what was happening, it was the right thing to do.

But I was not a fan of it dragging on once we realised kids weren’t affected much by the virus medically speaking, I posted as much at the time, and I was never for masking elementary school kids, which is also on record, and where I live it was not advised at all to mask children under 5.

And you’ll remember, I was against mandates.

And - nevermind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies