Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 03:01 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times

Advertisements

https://www.newsweek.com/lying-about...senate-1729415

"Women could face criminal prosecution for lying about rape to obtain an abortion under a new bill passed by the Indiana state Senate on Saturday."

Maybe we need to start talking about "reproductive responsibility"! Imagine the diseases these people are passing around.

Throwing pre-born humans away like garbage doesn't appeal to as many people as those that do it think.

Old 09-01-2022, 03:03 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Right. Just great that they extended the time limit from 6 to 12 weeks, but to get the pills or procedure, you have to lie and accuse a guy of raping you. Explain that to your husband when you find yourself pregnant with a change of life baby. Oops honey, some guy... oh but not really but I have to say that because...
What's so hard to explain?

Wife: Uh, honey... the birth control didn't work and I'm pregnant. I know we talked about it so I'm thinking of getting an abortion.
Hubbie: Well, okay. I don't think we're ready to have kids yet either with the hours at the factory getting cut it would be difficult. I thought abortions were illegal though?
Wifey: Oh no, I just tell the doc I was raped and then the police come out and I tell them I lied to get an abortion. Totally fine, Sharon did it last month.
Hubbie: That seems pretty sketchy. Are you sure how it works.
Wifey: Yup, let me pull up the law.
Hubbie: Wow, that's pretty dumb. Maybe we should run this by Bill your uncle who works as a prosecutor.
Bill: Yup, can't prosecute them. Sheriff Thumps-his-bible is really riding me that I'm not charging any of the cases he keeps referring my way but my hands are tied. Law's the law.

Boyfriend would be harder as there's no spousal privilege there.

Again, SC could definitely remove the indemnification clause that holds women harmless for lying about being raped to obtain an abortion down the road but as written currently it just extends the six week time limit out to twelve.

Last edited by Malloric; 09-01-2022 at 03:14 PM..

Old 09-01-2022, 03:35 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
#believewomen or something like that.

Wish that had been true in my life when I went to the police after I was raped (and before I knew I was pregnant and, blessedly, subsequently miscarried). I had just turned 17.

They told me it wasn't even worth filing a report and sent me on my way.

Old 09-01-2022, 04:18 PM

57,281 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I actually don't mind it. It allows abortions up to 12 weeks. It's written to appease moral majority types as a total prohibition but it's just extending the 6 week abortion to 12 weeks. I think that's totally reasonable. You just tell the doc I was raped and you get the abortion. Then when the police show up you say I lied to the doc, so sorry.

The bill explicitly states there can be no punishment either civilly or criminally for the pregnant woman who lies about being raped to get an abortion. Just don't lie to the police as that's illegal. There's nothing illegal, however, about lying to the abortion doc to obtain the abortion. You tell the doc I was raped, and get the abortion up to 12 weeks with no consquences. Doc reports to the state. Police come out to take your statement and you say JK, just wanted abortion. Sorry the law requires that your time be wasted.

It's kind of duplicitous and hypocritical, but end of the day I think 12 weeks is a more reasonable number than six. They include instructions for women on how to get abortions up to 12 weeks and explicitly state that they will be held harmless when doing so. Appearances, basically. Here's how to get your abortions at any time, for any reason up to 12 weeks while allowing us to appear anti-abortion is what the effect of the law is.
The ban almost got passed with no exceptions, the larger issue is the complete ban.

Old 09-01-2022, 04:24 PM

7,334 posts, read 3,812,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Wish that had been true in my life when I went to the police after I was raped (and before I knew I was pregnant and, blessedly, subsequently miscarried). I had just turned 17.

They told me it wasn't even worth filing a report and sent me on my way.
Sorry to hear that. That must have been horrible.

Old 09-01-2022, 04:53 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's not that many. Actual birth control failure accounts for only 5% of all unintended pregnancies.
Half of women who actually seek abortion were using contraception in the cycle in which they conceived. Sorry, not everyone uses contraceptives perfectly.

Old 09-01-2022, 05:08 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Why can't the Republicans just wait until after the midterms to decide on abortion Rights? They are alienating a lot of Voters that have had it with the Democrats wrecking this country and are now sending them back to reluctantly vote for a Dem because these Anti Abortion stances are draconian.

The Dems were on the ropes in most states but with this Abortion debate the Dems have been saved by the bell.
I have no problem with them making those decisions now. Voters can decide if they support this kind of governance or not.

Old 09-01-2022, 05:16 PM

89,013 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Half of women who actually seek abortion were using contraception in the cycle in which they conceived. Sorry, not everyone uses contraceptives perfectly.
That does not necessarily mean they used contraception each and every time they had sex. 27.7% were using condoms as their method of birth control in the cycle in which they got pregnant. Well, using a condom on Monday doesn't prevent pregnancy occurring after the unprotected sex a woman has on Friday. Missing one or more pills per cycle provides much less protection against pregnancy. See what I mean? Again, we're running smack dab into the lack of personal responsibility problem.

It's no different than running out of gas in the middle of the desert because you didn't put gas in the tank before you drove. How is it in any way unexpected that would happen?

Old 09-01-2022, 05:24 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Sorry to hear that. That must have been horrible.

It's also not uncommon, which is why the "exception for rape" is always concerning. Does that mean that there must be evidence? Unfortunately, the reason many rapists go free is because there isn't or because it's a he said, she said. If she has an abortion but the person who raped her is not found guilty, will she be penalized? Even if it's a he-said, she said? That is sure to reduce rape reports overall since short of being pulled into a dark ally, having a date rape drug in your system, or having witnesses, there isn't going to be enough evidence to get a guilty verdict.

I have similar concerns about exceptions for the life of the mother. Note it's "life" not "health." When three forms of birth control failed on top of being told chemo rendered me infertile, my oncologist and the rest of my medical team recommended an abortion to save my health and future fertility potential. In no state with health exceptions would that scenario allow me to have an abortion, even as multiple physicians stated that my lungs, heart, and kidneys couldn't handle pregnancy that soon after chemo.

It's all fine and dandy to talk about exceptions, but folks don't really think about what those exceptions really mean.

Old 09-01-2022, 07:51 PM

7,334 posts, read 3,812,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It's also not uncommon, which is why the "exception for rape" is always concerning. Does that mean that there must be evidence? Unfortunately, the reason many rapists go free is because there isn't or because it's a he said, she said. If she has an abortion but the person who raped her is not found guilty, will she be penalized? Even if it's a he-said, she said? That is sure to reduce rape reports overall since short of being pulled into a dark ally, having a date rape drug in your system, or having witnesses, there isn't going to be enough evidence to get a guilty verdict.

I have similar concerns about exceptions for the life of the mother. Note it's "life" not "health." When three forms of birth control failed on top of being told chemo rendered me infertile, my oncologist and the rest of my medical team recommended an abortion to save my health and future fertility potential. In no state with health exceptions would that scenario allow me to have an abortion, even as multiple physicians stated that my lungs, heart, and kidneys couldn't handle pregnancy that soon after chemo.

It's all fine and dandy to talk about exceptions, but folks don't really think about what those exceptions really mean.
Everyone has an opinion about this issue and I'm no exception.

For me, it's pretty simple. Either you believe in a woman's right to have an abortion or you don't. If you believe it's her right, then you believe she has the right to determine which pregnancies to keep and which to abort. On the other had, if you oppose abortion, it doesn't make any difference how that pregnancy came to be. You want that pregnancy to produce a child because the child is a human life, and the way it came to be is of no consequence. Human life is special and it has a right to live. And two wrongs don't make a right (the rape and the abortion.)

But the woman's health is the #1 concern. If the pregnancy endangers her life, she should have the right to have the child aborted. It's not consistent or fair to be pro-life except in the case of the mother's life.

My wife's aunt died of cancer yesterday and we're all broken up about it. She was a good woman. Married at 15 and stayed married to the same man until she died at age 73 yesterday.

I hope your health is better and you have a long, happy life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies