Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 01:40 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Alcohol is quite bad for long-term brain health (and other health concerns, obviously).

Plus, the new alcohol free beer and "spirits" have come a long way. Athletic Brewing makes some great stuff. The 0.0 Heineken is quite good and the alcohol free Guinness is really close to the normal stuff.
Why anyone would drink alcoholic beverages without the intent of becoming somewhat intoxicated is beyond me. And why anyone would drink "fake" alcoholic beverages is really, really, really beyond me. Just get a soda of some sort. Tastes way better.

For the record: I currently don't drink. I used to once in a while, but never regularly. I've never seen a legitimate reason to do so unless I wanted the "effect" alcohol gives. It would be like some guy smoking pot with no intent of getting any high out of it. Just silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2022, 06:59 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Why anyone would drink alcoholic beverages without the intent of becoming somewhat intoxicated is beyond me. And why anyone would drink "fake" alcoholic beverages is really, really, really beyond me. Just get a soda of some sort. Tastes way better.

For the record: I currently don't drink. I used to once in a while, but never regularly. I've never seen a legitimate reason to do so unless I wanted the "effect" alcohol gives. It would be like some guy smoking pot with no intent of getting any high out of it. Just silly.

Sounds like you've got how you would handle it all sorted. Bravo?

Old 09-03-2022, 07:02 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Good for them. I find a little alcohol is good just to remove the insecurity and nervousness my limbic system exhibits in normal social situations to allow me to better open up to others but I try not to make a habit of it by being in excess like most people do.

I think the big attraction of alcohol is that makes fearful people temporarily eliminate their fear.

I drink coffee without the caffeine because there's an antioxidant component. Plus when freshly roasted and properly ground and made in a V60 it tastes really good. Alcoholic beverages also contain antioxidants but I wouldn't drink them without the alcohol I'd just have a glass of grape juice or some dark chocolate.

Old 09-03-2022, 07:46 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Sounds like you've got how you would handle it all sorted. Bravo?
One interesting thing about righties. They've got it ALL figured out... And if you ain't got it figured out they way they do.................... Then you just best keep figurin'. .

Old 09-03-2022, 03:29 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,234,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Thought this was just an interesting read in societal and pop-culture changes towards drinking. Its just becoming "not cool" to drink, especially for Gen Z.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xgyg...t-cool-anymore
UK, mate.

Old 09-03-2022, 03:34 PM

7,345 posts, read 3,819,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
So were we. We were buying beer at 15. Younger people of the 21+ alcohol generation doubt me but there was a technique. Profiling the cashier at the 7/11, time of night to buy, empty store, big balls and swagger. A 50-60 yr old white guy would always sell you beer after 10:30. Don't look at your shoes and stammer, make small talk. Those night clerks are bored and the laid back old guys tend to empathize with a young dude having some fun.
Same here. We knew exactly where to go and which cashier to use. You profiled those guys perfectly.

Old 09-03-2022, 03:38 PM

10,457 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
The Same Generation - that Ate Tide Pods.
Same generation that can't even buy Reddi Whip now till they are 21 because they are getting high off of the refrigerant in the container.

Old 09-03-2022, 03:43 PM

7,345 posts, read 3,819,045 times
Quote:
Alcohol is quite bad for long-term brain health (and other health concerns, obviously).
You have to practice moderation, especially as you get older.

My generation drank too much. I guess we copied our parents, who were heavy drinkers. Looking back, most of my friends either quit or scaled back majorly when they got married and had children.

My wife doesn't drink and I basically quit in 2001 when my daughter was born. Now that she's older, I started enjoying the occasional old fashioned and Manhattan again this year. Plus wine.

You can afford the quality stuff when a bottle lasts a month or two. Have a drink once or twice a week and the health issues are non-existent.

Old 09-03-2022, 10:25 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
So were we. We were buying beer at 15. Younger people of the 21+ alcohol generation doubt me but there was a technique. Profiling the cashier at the 7/11, time of night to buy, empty store, big balls and swagger. A 50-60 yr old white guy would always sell you beer after 10:30. Don't look at your shoes and stammer, make small talk. Those night clerks are bored and the laid back old guys tend to empathize with a young dude having some fun.
At 15, I never thought to buy alcohol. I never found much appeal in it. I was taught "that's for adults only, no one under 21 allowed". I obeyed it to the letter.

Old 09-04-2022, 12:07 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Thought this was just an interesting read in societal and pop-culture changes towards drinking. Its just becoming "not cool" to drink, especially for Gen Z.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xgyg...t-cool-anymore
So I remember in the 70's when business lunches were drinking lunches. That doesn't happen like it use to back then.

So I suspect more 'older' people aren't drinking like they use to back in the 60's and 70's so it makes sense there would be a drop in the younger kids too.

And yes -- the big craze now is non-alcoholic spirits, wines and beer and boy have they improved in quality.

Some of the best 'craft-like' beers have non-alcoholic beer....and they are passable.

I remember when I was first pregnant in the late 80's -- non-alcoholic beer was bad...and forget non-alcoholic wine completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies