Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 03:46 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So, when my son took German in Middle School, and all the kids had to pick a German name to be called in the classroom, I should have had to sign off on him being called that name.

No. Just, no.

Enough of parents hovering over their kids, and making every single decision for them. Middle schoolers aren't 4 years old, where they NEED hovering parents.
This is far from hovering. What a child is called is far from them making every single decision for them. They have already been given a name and the teacher should use it unless the parents give permission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2022, 05:17 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
They should be required to refer to kids by their preferred names out of respect. If it’s that big a deal to those children and their families then it’s that big a deal. I would never even think to not do so if I were a teacher. I don’t make light of this because real feelings apply here.
Except that I don’t think it’s really the children who have this desire. The parents are brainwashing them into this confusion and the parent is the one who is filling out the enrollment paperwork. The children are really victims here and what you suggest is indulging their abusers.

Old 09-03-2022, 05:23 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
I believe in science and if you have a pee pee you are a boy if you have a vagina you are a girl. Science is the answer. Now if you have a mental issue, that can be addressed, but I don't think the world should be forced to cater to that mental issue with forcing these pronouns on everyone. This is getting ridiculous.

Old 09-03-2022, 06:01 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
This goes a little beyond the name. This teacher was refusing the request (by the principal) to stop calling this student "Miss ____".

Come on. Willfully antagonistic.

Does this teacher refer to ALL her students as "Miss" and "Mr." last name, and has she been doing this for years?

Otherwise, bye bye. You're purposely trying to irritate everyone.

And can you please tell me what your religion is, that precludes you from calling that girl Michael or Rick? There are girls NAMED Michael and Rick (don't get that either, but ok).

I wonder what this teacher would have done, if her students started calling her Pammy. Wouldn't tolerate it, is my guess. Not what she would like to be called.
This post from you does NOT surprise me 1 bit!

Old 09-03-2022, 06:06 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
The teacher should just take the money and quit.

That the school would make these banal rules and enforce them is indicative of them going for an easy virtue over actually teaching.

Go find a school that doesn't kow tow to this nonsense. Free market an all.
"The teacher should just take the money and quit."

Some are just chicken s**it and run from EVERYTHING.

By her daring to defy the school, OTHER parents mightb get involved and making changes by the school distinct.

Like Va. parents did!

Old 09-03-2022, 06:27 AM

5,645 posts, read 6,206,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
This is far from hovering. What a child is called is far from them making every single decision for them. They have already been given a name and the teacher should use it unless the parents give permission.
There is an issue of where to draw the line. William asks to be called Bill - do you need parental consent? What if Christina wants to be called Chris? I get your point, but it needs to be consistent

Old 09-03-2022, 07:06 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
There is an issue of where to draw the line. William asks to be called Bill - do you need parental consent? What if Christina wants to be called Chris? I get your point, but it needs to be consistent
Our school teacher stuck with Miss or Mr and I was OK with that.

Old 09-03-2022, 07:13 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
So, when my son took German in Middle School, and all the kids had to pick a German name to be called in the classroom, I should have had to sign off on him being called that name.

No. Just, no.

Enough of parents hovering over their kids, and making every single decision for them. Middle schoolers aren't 4 years old, where they NEED hovering parents.
That is not at all what this thread is about and I believe that you are well aware of the fact that your argument is garbage.

Nice try with a misdirect, tho.

This is about teachers lying to parents about the MENTAL HEALTH state of their children.

Which you seem to be perfectly fine with.

Old 09-03-2022, 08:14 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,596 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
That is not at all what this thread is about and I believe that you are well aware of the fact that your argument is garbage.

Nice try with a misdirect, tho.

This is about teachers lying to parents about the MENTAL HEALTH state of their children.

Which you seem to be perfectly fine with.
This specific case isn't about teachers "lying to parents about the mental health state of their children".

This case is about a teacher who purposely antagonized the student by calling a gender confused child "Miss ____", thus accentuating the irritation.

This teacher wasn't, as you seem to be asserting, lying in any way about the child's mental health state.

Do you think this teacher, when asked by the parent, would say oh no, Jane is really fine with being called Jane and we have no problems whatsoever with that, why would you ask?

No. That's not the situation here.

Old 09-03-2022, 08:17 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,596 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
So, honest question. If a child is named James but prefers Bear, which is a nickname his friends give him, you think his high school teachers should call him James if the parents want that?

Honest question. That's hovering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies