Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 01:36 AM

900 posts, read 375,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I'd have closed my own account long before the dumbass heterophobes closed it.
Well, it's Canada... so you'd have to go back to keeping your money at home...LGBTQIA+ It's not a controversial issue there, even in the conservative province of Alberta....

Old 09-05-2022, 02:26 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,407,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Gol dang; when did people get so all fired snowflakey they give a rip about an emblem on a banks website?
Hell, I've banked with the TD Bank for over 50 years. Their logo is a white "TD" on a green background.

Green? Does this mean that the TD Bank is some kind of tree hugger or Greenpeace supporter?

No. The TD Bank has used green as a corporate colour since the 1960s.

As long as the TD bank looks after my accounts and investments satisfactorily, I'm happy. Perhaps this guy that the OP mentioned was just somebody who was looking for something to get upset about, and hoping to get some 15 minutes of fame.

As for Scotiabank, they're all-in for being inclusive and diverse:

https://www.scotiabank.com/careers/e...inclusion.html

It's a business decision that Scotiabank made. Will it work for them? Time will tell. But given that Scotiabank is a Canadian bank, and Canadians are much less hung up on fearing minorities of all kinds than Americans seem to be, I don't think that this one guy's protest will amount to much.

After all, as somebody said above, Scotiabank's assets are about $1.3 Trillion. This one guy, and his chequing account, are negligible.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 09-05-2022 at 02:35 AM..

Old 09-05-2022, 10:41 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I think the bank made a huge mistake here in deciding to place the rainbow on it's app.
By doing that, they literally singled out one group, over many other groups seeking recognition.
To be fair, the bank should have included all groups that feel the are/were oppressed, but did not do that.
The smart thing to do, would to have not put the rainbow flag, or any symbol of any group on their applications.
If a company supports any one group, then they should support them all equally, and placing the rainbow flag shows an uncaring position to all the other groups by the bank.

That would be like me throwing a big party in some facility that could hold a large crowd, and excluding some ethnic groups from attending.
"All you whites can come, but please, no blacks, hispanics, asians will be welcomed".

In essence, this is just what this bank has done, by publicly castrating all groups except one, that being the one who is affiliated with the rainbow flag.
This was wrong, and were I to advise the corporate officers, it would be to remove the symbol from their app.
Banks market to all sorts of groups, so your premise is simply false.

None of what you are imagining has happened. Banks and other businesses have been marketing to the LGBTQ for years.

I don't think you've actually thought this through, since your post lacks logic, and the reality of what occurred.

Last edited by Natnasci; 09-05-2022 at 10:50 AM..

Old 09-05-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Wow, and the I thought the U.S was intolerant of those who do not embrace the leftist ideology!!
Which has nothing to do with this story.

A bank doesn't just close a bank account without a reason. The person whose account has a recourse if they feel unfairly treated. BruSan posted a link.

Old 09-05-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
The more proper and right way for the bank to have proceeded, was to inform all app users that a logo for different groups would be posted on the app monthly.
Rainbow one month, then changed to some other group's logo for the next month, and so on.
Nah.

The proper way is to let a business be free to engage whatever marketing they want, as long as it doesn't break any laws.

One bank here in Canada RBC is currently doing a major ad campaign aimed at immigrants to Canada. I'm not whining like some here that I've been excluded.

Old 09-05-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Hell, I've banked with the TD Bank for over 50 years. Their logo is a white "TD" on a green background.

Green? Does this mean that the TD Bank is some kind of tree hugger or Greenpeace supporter?

As long as the TD bank looks after my accounts and investments satisfactorily, I'm happy. Perhaps this guy that the OP mentioned was just somebody who was looking for something to get upset about, and hoping to get some 15 minutes of fame.

It's a business decision that Scotiabank made. Will it work for them? Time will tell. But given that Scotiabank is a Canadian bank, and Canadians are much less hung up on fearing minorities of all kinds than Americans seem to be, I don't think that this one guy's protest will amount to much.

After all, as somebody said above, Scotiabank's assets are about $1.3 Trillion. This one guy, and his chequing account, are negligible.
Exactly.

Old 09-05-2022, 12:30 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,771,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

A logo is quite different from zeroing in and promoting a particular lifestyle on a business app by displaying that particular group's symbol. There is nothing wrong with being inclusive and diverse until you decide to use that stance to promote one certain group. The majority of businesses are inclusive and diverse yet they don't resort to tactics like this.

Why would a business step out of it's zone to attract (maybe cater to) a limited group of people by singling them out and putting their symbol on their business app when it has nothing to do with their business per se but does carry the potential to offend who knows how many in their overall base of customers? It does not make good sense and as you can see, can be counter-productive. If I fell under the classification of LGBT, I would do business with a bank whose products benefited me the most, not because they have a rainbow symbol on their app.

I realize banks have pictures of all types and colors of people. Why not? Most people use a bank so why not display a variety of people shown as customers on the website? But they don't go and single out a group of people with a certain lifestyle to promote them on their business app.

I want a bank that focuses on products that benefit me and promotions that save me money without caring what color my skin is or my sexual preference. It's no skin off of my nose, the bank can do whatever they please, it is their decision to make. But hey, that's what makes it good, it's also the customer's decision to bank with them or not.

As to your remark "Canadians are much less hung up on fearing minorities of all kinds than Americans seem to be", well that begs for an entirely new discussion.

Old 09-05-2022, 01:53 PM

6,723 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
A Canadian man who spoke his mind

Stopped reading right there. They don't have a bill of rights or true freedom of speech.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...edom-of-speech

Old 09-05-2022, 01:58 PM

37,960 posts, read 22,139,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Call a lawyer.

While the bank can close accounts, really need to have a valid reason and this isn't one of them.
At this point, it's probably a violation of some Canadian hate law, to object to being bombarded with LGBTQIA2S+++ crap 24/7/365, and not maintain a permanent smile on your face.

Old 09-05-2022, 02:47 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
A logo is quite different from zeroing in and promoting a particular lifestyle on a business app by displaying that particular group's symbol. There is nothing wrong with being inclusive and diverse until you decide to use that stance to promote one certain group. The majority of businesses are inclusive and diverse yet they don't resort to tactics like this.

Why would a business step out of it's zone to attract (maybe cater to) a limited group of people by singling them out and putting their symbol on their business app when it has nothing to do with their business per se but does carry the potential to offend who knows how many in their overall base of customers? It does not make good sense and as you can see, can be counter-productive. If I fell under the classification of LGBT, I would do business with a bank whose products benefited me the most, not because they have a rainbow symbol on their app.

I realize banks have pictures of all types and colors of people. Why not? Most people use a bank so why not display a variety of people shown as customers on the website? But they don't go and single out a group of people with a certain lifestyle to promote them on their business app.

I want a bank that focuses on products that benefit me and promotions that save me money without caring what color my skin is or my sexual preference. It's no skin off of my nose, the bank can do whatever they please, it is their decision to make. But hey, that's what makes it good, it's also the customer's decision to bank with them or not.

As to your remark "Canadians are much less hung up on fearing minorities of all kinds than Americans seem to be", well that begs for an entirely new discussion.
During June all sorts of companies jump on the rainbow flag bandwagon. You never noticed this?

I mentioned Budweiser above as just one example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies